Twonky Stopped Working

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Mark M
Twonky Stopped Working

Post by Mark M » Sat May 24, 2008 1:26 pm

Currently running 4.4.4 and have been running Twonky for many years.

I had to reformat my HDD a few weeks ago and installed XP SP3 fresh and Twonky 4.4.4 (as service) …. For 2 weeks everything has run OK. I use a Netgear MP101 for audio and a PS3 for video … all worked great for the past 2 weeks (and several years before this).

Yesterday my MP101 wouldn’t connect (No server found) so I tried to check the config html page … not found. Checked the task manager … no Twonky, checked services ... stopped !

Started the service and twonky appeared in the task manager for a few seconds and then disappeared, config page still unreachable.

I have un-installed and re-installed twonky with no joy.

I have tried uninstalling as service and running the app from C:\program files … the icon appears in the system tray for a few seconds and then disappears.

Any idea what’s going on?

velbar
AV Hardware:Acer Vista Intel dual core 2,66 hrz
Netgear wireless N router

Re: Twonky Stopped Working

Post by velbar » Sun May 25, 2008 8:22 pm

I have a similar problem. I installed twonkymedia server on a Vista PC. When I start Twonkymedia Vista aborts the program and gives a message 'that twonkymediaserver.exe isn't working anymore and that there is a problem, as soon there is a solution they will send a message'
In the folder of twonkymedia (in programfiles) the "twonkymedia-config-html" is marked as "blocked'.
At the right of my screen there is a massage with a red shield. "this item is suspect and blocked. Images and links are blocked for your safety. Only open the mail(?) when you are sure this mail item is not a threat."

I disabled Norton, but the problem still existed. So Vista´s 'windows defender' or the like is causing this problem. I can't see how I can de-block this item.

Anybody an idea?

velbar

Mark M

Post by Mark M » Mon May 26, 2008 9:57 pm

OK fixed this (no thanks to you lot :lol: ) ... I ran a system restore back to a point last week when I knew Twonky was running OK ... looks like it may have been due to some WHALE components installed as part of my company's remote access arrangements that screwed with some network settings.

Weird though as this and Twonky lived happily together before ... still, I'll stilck with remote acces via the laptop from now on to be safe.

michhart
AV Hardware:Loewe Connect, Sonos Media

Post by michhart » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi, tried your fix, but still get same error message once I install. Any idea what else I can try?
Thanks Michael

BarbaraLewis
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia 4.4 (Only just installed after 4.3 stopped working and was trying a reinstall)
Windows Server 2003
Netgear device

Post by BarbaraLewis » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:04 pm

The same problem has just started for me, if i start the twonkymedia service it stops again within 5 seconds.

I did have version 4.3 but i decided to try a re-install so downloaded the latest 4.4 version. However it still stops within a few seconds of being started.

Has any problem been found as to why the service stops with a few seconds of starting?

I'm guessing this is also why I can't access the config page if Twonky media (run as a service or normally) stops within a few seconds of being started.

Is there any update out to help with this? or anything i can do to make it work again?

alanrab

Post by alanrab » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:27 pm

I had a very similar issue happen last week with my Vista PC running 4.4.7. I'd launch it and it would stop working within seconds. I tried a system restore, but that didn't work.

Ultimately, the only thing that worked for me was a reinstallation of Vista (it wasn't that hard to do). Now everything works and works snappier. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that there could've been a corrupt system file preventing Twonky from running.