Streaming MKV to PS3

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
SpEnTBoY
AV Hardware:iMac/PSP/PS3
Streaming MKV to PS3

Post by SpEnTBoY » Mon May 26, 2008 4:55 pm

Ok so I'm trying to work on streaming recipes for twonky on my iMac using mencoder and the 5 beta 1 release of twonky. I can not for the life of me even have a scan show that mkv is a valid format?? Anyone have any insight or tips on how to get the mkv file format recognized so I can try to get streaming working???

For reference here's what I have in my cgi-bin for .location and .desc files:

mencoder.location

Code: Select all

cat mencoder.location && ls -l /usr/local/bin/mencoder 
/usr/local/bin
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  6898972 20 May 13:27 /usr/local/bin/mencoder

Code: Select all

cat mencoder-mkv-divx.desc 
# transcode video (mkv to divx)
exec: mencoder $infile -oac copy -ovc xvid -o $outfile
# capabilities
from=video/x-matroska
to=video/x-divx
asynchronous
Like I said though I'm missing something because I'm not sure how to specify to twonky that mkv files are a valid video format. Anyone?? :)

meimeiriver
AV Hardware:TwonkyVision UPnP AV Media Server

Re: Streaming MKV to PS3

Post by meimeiriver » Mon May 26, 2008 11:35 pm

This board is not excelling in replying to folks, lol; but I'd like to know how this is done, too, please.
Gorgeous, delicious, deculture!

SpEnTBoY

Post by SpEnTBoY » Wed May 28, 2008 12:52 pm

meimeiriver wrote:This board is not excelling in replying to folks, lol; but I'd like to know how this is done, too, please.
damn! I thought the reply was a solution lol ... yeah replies are slow going but here's hoping there's at least more than just us trying to get this going ... If it takes longer than a month I'll just contact support again and see if they have some pointers :D

meimeiriver

Post by meimeiriver » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:25 am

I have my PS3 over two weeks now, so by now I know you can't stream mkv files (yet). Has got nothing to do with Twonky.

You can, however, easily concert an mkv file (which is just a container) to something the PS3 will recognize. Just extract the H.264 stream (if that's what's in it, which is likely) with tsMuxeR by selecting "Remux to m2ts". And select an AC3 audio stream also (PS3 won't take DTS over a streaming connecting). And presto, you have a PS3-streamable file. :)

P.S. As for the Twonky folk not responding, I'm beginning to find that an issue. Come the end of the 30-day trial period, I'll likely not buy it: no support, no check. :)

SpEnTBoY

Post by SpEnTBoY » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:03 pm

meimeiriver wrote:I have my PS3 over two weeks now, so by now I know you can't stream mkv files (yet). Has got nothing to do with Twonky.

You can, however, easily concert an mkv file (which is just a container) to something the PS3 will recognize. Just extract the H.264 stream (if that's what's in it, which is likely) with tsMuxeR by selecting "Remux to m2ts". And select an AC3 audio stream also (PS3 won't take DTS over a streaming connecting). And presto, you have a PS3-streamable file. :)

P.S. As for the Twonky folk not responding, I'm beginning to find that an issue. Come the end of the 30-day trial period, I'll likely not buy it: no support, no check. :)
Actually it does have to do with Twonky ;) ... what we're talking about is on the fly transcoding. Twonky can (in beta) transcode the files on the fly for you rather than you having to transcode them prior to streaming. I've done a mess of transcoding to make files natively viewable on PS3 but I would much rather have the streamer use the host machines resources to transcode the file for me _while_ streaming. I hacked together some code a long time ago to create the files for the PS3 but It takes a while to convert files no matter what method you use :(

Scroll through THIS thread for anyone looking to do this in Linux. There are many revisions but lots of it is still workable ;)

meimeiriver

Post by meimeiriver » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:43 pm

SpEnTBoY wrote: Actually it does have to do with Twonky ;) ... what we're talking about is on the fly transcoding. Twonky can (in beta) transcode the files on the fly for you rather than you having to transcode them prior to streaming. I've done a mess of transcoding to make files natively viewable on PS3 but I would much rather have the streamer use the host machines resources to transcode the file for me _while_ streaming. I hacked together some code a long time ago to create the files for the PS3 but It takes a while to convert files no matter what method you use :(
Real-time transcoding, it almost sounds too good to be true. Using RipBot264, with insane high settings, transcoding a 1080p VC-1 source takes about 15 hours, leaving all my 4 cores, at 3.2Ghz, at full burn for the duration. Seeing how this is done at ~4-5 fps, you'd need at least a dual octa-core board (non-existent yet, of course) to make it happen 'real-time' at 24 fps.

But I guess if you go for a somewhat less rigorous x264 profile, you could get near 24 fps with the current hardware -- although I keep thinking it's a stretch. But it's an encouraging development nonetheless. :)

SpEnTBoY

Post by SpEnTBoY » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:42 pm

meimeiriver wrote:
SpEnTBoY wrote: Actually it does have to do with Twonky ;) ... what we're talking about is on the fly transcoding. Twonky can (in beta) transcode the files on the fly for you rather than you having to transcode them prior to streaming. I've done a mess of transcoding to make files natively viewable on PS3 but I would much rather have the streamer use the host machines resources to transcode the file for me _while_ streaming. I hacked together some code a long time ago to create the files for the PS3 but It takes a while to convert files no matter what method you use :(
Real-time transcoding, it almost sounds too good to be true. Using RipBot264, with insane high settings, transcoding a 1080p VC-1 source takes about 15 hours, leaving all my 4 cores, at 3.2Ghz, at full burn for the duration. Seeing how this is done at ~4-5 fps, you'd need at least a dual octa-core board (non-existent yet, of course) to make it happen 'real-time' at 24 fps.

But I guess if you go for a somewhat less rigorous x264 profile, you could get near 24 fps with the current hardware -- although I keep thinking it's a stretch. But it's an encouraging development nonetheless. :)
Well live stream content can work a couple of different ways which is why I was hoping to get more clarity here lol .... another method is to have the host machine stream the content live using it's own player but making it appear to be a supported format on the other end. In other words your NAS or mediaserver actually plays the content (no real transcoding) and supplies the feed to the PS3 appearing to be an AVI rather than MKV. Much like remote play works ... the PSP in a remote play session isn't actually playing the content ... it's just acting as a display and the PS3 does all the work. Media servers would act the same way. The media server provides the content and the PS3 displays the feed.

:D