DVD album art - how do I show it ?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Baldybouncer
AV Hardware:PS3, Qnap TS-109, SB3
DVD album art - how do I show it ?

Post by Baldybouncer » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:20 am

Hello,

Sorry for the perennial question regarding album art but I have just set up Twonky on my Qnap TS-109 and now enjoy the benefits of streaming video to my PS3 but would like to know how to (or if it is at all possible) add album art to the DVD folders ?

robinsj
AV Hardware:PS3
Custom NAS - Computer

Re: DVD album art - how do I show it ?

Post by robinsj » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:12 pm

As far as I know, each video needs to be in its own folder, and then you place the cover art in each folder, and name it folder.jpg. Thats how it works on my ps3...

Baldybouncer

Post by Baldybouncer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:14 am

Thanks for the reply robinsj . However, I'm still not getting the artwork showing up :cry: . I'm like a man possessed now - I have to do it :wink: . OK, let me get this right. I have say a video of Alan Partridge......I put this in a folder along with the jpeg and call the folder what ? Alan Partridge.jpeg or folder.jpeg - I'm discombobulated. Could you tell me how you would do it using Alan Partridge as an example ? I tried your way and it didn't work so maybe I made a mistake :oops: .

robinsj
Custom NAS - Computer

Post by robinsj » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:45 am

I am assuming you have shared a main directory of some sort. On my NAS i have a PS3-Media directory that I have shared in the twonky configuration page.

Then, inside that directory, in your case, I would create another folder called Alan Partridge. Inside that folder would go your video file "Alan Partridge.mp4/m2ts" or whatever it maybe. Then you would also put your jpg file in that folder and call it folder.jpg.

so you would have two files inside your Alan Partridge folder-

Alan Partridge.mp4
folder.jpg

Then don't forget to tell twonky to rescan media content, because it doesn't unless you tell it to. That should work.

Baldybouncer

Post by Baldybouncer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks very much again for your help robinsj. I did EXACTLY what you said but it still doesn't work......I'm using Twonky 4.4.4 could it be that ? Although this version does support jpegs :? :? . Have a look at the pictures and you can see the files are as you told me. Help. The jpegs even show up on the Qnap multimedia page so something must be going wrong with the PS3 and Twonky ?
Attachments
DVD's.jpg
DVD's.jpg (27.6KiB)Viewed 8644 times
AlanP.jpg
AlanP.jpg (40.38KiB)Viewed 8643 times

robinsj
Custom NAS - Computer

Post by robinsj » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:52 pm

Try renaming your jpeg from folder.jpeg to folder.jpg Sounds trivial, but who knows....

Baldybouncer

Post by Baldybouncer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:37 pm

Beat you to it I'm afraid, already tried it :) . I know this is really not necessary to have but now I REALLY want to do it :twisted: .

robinsj
Custom NAS - Computer

Post by robinsj » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:28 pm

I know what you mean, by making it work... If only I had back all the time I used trying to make stuff work, haha.. have you tried rebuilding your whole database? That is odd, because I know I didn't set anything up wierd or anything, it just worked. What firmware is your ps3? Is it the newest? I don't think it has to do with what kind of nas you are using.. that shouldn't matter. Mine is just a pc running vista.

Like right now I am trying to figure out how to best sort the movies. I have about 110 movies on my server right now. And its great if I go in and click all titles, I get my full list of movies, with accompanying icons. That is great, but it is getting a little cumbersome to browse through all the movies, especially since I am still adding more everyday.

I can go in and set it to custom navigation, and then I set the navigation tree so that it shows Title and 1 level of ABC. But here is the problem. You navigate in there and then it shows you folders like A, B, C.. and so on - the beginning letter of each movie sorted.

So then you go into section A, and it shows you folders for every movie that starts with the letter A. Then you have to go one step further and click on that movie folder, then it shows you the movie file with accompanying cover art.

I want to eliminate that step, as it is unnecessary. It should, when you go into the A movies, just show you all the movies that start with A and there accompanying cover art, instead of showing you folders for each individual movie. I am getting no help from twonky on this.....

Baldybouncer

Post by Baldybouncer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:28 pm

I downloaded the latest PS3 firmware this morning :) . I don't have the latest Twonky firmware (4.4.5) but I have no idea how to install that anyway and as you say Twonky don't help. Apparently they don't support the Qnap Nas :roll: . Hmm, even though you ask a question about Twonky itself they don't answer !

I see what you mean about getting to your movie, that's a real pain. I'm not 100% sure but have you tried other software like Tversity ? I believe that will do what you want. There is a guide on the AVforums in the PS3 section.....it's a sticky regarding media playback and there is also one for Tversity - worth a look and you could get help.....unless you're already a member :oops: . I mean I've seen pictures in the members home gallery and you can see their DVD's with all their artwork etc.....looks brilliant to me. Plus they too don't have use a Nas.

I tried another option with my DVD artwork by creating a photo folder with the jpegs in that, going to the file in the PS3, copying the artwork over to the DVD folder - no luck :lol: . I also have my music neatly stored away on my Nas as Flac, but does Twonky support Flac.......not version 4.4.4 ! Version 5 (beta) does but hey, who knows how to install that and if I do what would be the repercussions ?

I saved these links a while back....any good ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930526

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690644

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=52

robinsj
Custom NAS - Computer

Post by robinsj » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:35 am

I messed with tversity at first, but not very much, I couldn't get coverart to work. That was a big deal with me, I wanted cover art. Where is the post about getting tumbnails going with it?

Thanks

Baldybouncer

Post by Baldybouncer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:00 am

The post was really a 'picture' in the middle link above. I would email the guy as he seems to have it all. If you're not a member I can do it for you no problem.
Attachments
P1010901.jpg
P1010901.jpg (54.16KiB)Viewed 8548 times
13.jpg
13.jpg (231.13KiB)Viewed 8550 times

CBers
AV Hardware:Archos TV+

Post by CBers » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:21 am

Hi Baldybouncer.

What software you running to get those library displays ??

Baldybouncer

Post by Baldybouncer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:48 pm

CBers wrote:Hi Baldybouncer.

What software you running to get those library displays ??
Hey CBers,

No, that's not my set-up (wish it was) it's this guys here;

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690644

Take a look at the thread and he tells you all the software he uses. Any other questions you may have you'll have to register with the forum itself or I'll ask for you.

CBers
AV Hardware:Archos TV+

Post by CBers » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:35 pm

Thanks Baldybouncer.

I'm already registered, so will take a look.

srruch
AV Hardware:Thecus 5200

Post by srruch » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:44 pm

The filename is case sensitive. Folder.jpg works for me. Now if I could just get the movies to stream to an XBOX or WMP11.