How do i set known video extensions?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Koperfild
AV Hardware:Pioneer PDP-508XD, Onkyo TX-606, Dvico Tvix HD M-6500A, Ferguson HF8900HD, unRaid Server.
How do i set known video extensions?

Post by Koperfild » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:36 am

Hi,
I`ve just managed to install the Twonky Server on my Slacware machine which is the mass server and handles all my media files. Everything went fine and everything works fine. I had to do this, because SMB connection between the server and my Tvix M-6500A is not fast enough to stream big blu-ray files and newest firmware is going to add the support for UPnP. However there is one problem. My Twonky server won`t export folders with mkv files and neither will it dvd files (IFO and BUP). That`s big disadvantage and completly crosses out this software (90% of 1.5TB of my movies are mkv). I cannot believe it`s not adjustable but i cannot find that settings anywhere. Can you help me?

Regards,
Maciek

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: How do i set known video extensions?

Post by mgillespie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:19 am

Koperfild wrote:Hi,
I`ve just managed to install the Twonky Server on my Slacware machine which is the mass server and handles all my media files. Everything went fine and everything works fine. I had to do this, because SMB connection between the server and my Tvix M-6500A is not fast enough to stream big blu-ray files and newest firmware is going to add the support for UPnP. However there is one problem. My Twonky server won`t export folders with mkv files and neither will it dvd files (IFO and BUP). That`s big disadvantage and completly crosses out this software (90% of 1.5TB of my movies are mkv). I cannot believe it`s not adjustable but i cannot find that settings anywhere. Can you help me?

Regards,
Maciek
MKV is a very niche container format. AVI, DivX and MP4 are the common containers, and Twonky supports these just fine, as does most video clients.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Koperfild
AV Hardware:Pioneer PDP-508XD, Onkyo TX-606, Dvico Tvix HD M-6500A, Ferguson HF8900HD, unRaid Server.

Post by Koperfild » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:41 pm

I`ve got almost one terabyte of movies in mkv container! If Twonky server cannot suport such a popular extension it can kiss my ass.

Swithing to uShare...

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:37 pm

Koperfild wrote:I`ve got almost one terabyte of movies in mkv container! If Twonky server cannot suport such a popular extension it can kiss my ass.

Swithing to uShare...
That only supports MKV if the client supports it (which PS3, nor pretty much everything also does not).

Try downloading your illegal movies in a different format...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Koperfild

Post by Koperfild » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:02 pm

mgillespie wrote:
Koperfild wrote:I`ve got almost one terabyte of movies in mkv container! If Twonky server cannot suport such a popular extension it can kiss my ass.

Swithing to uShare...
That only supports MKV if the client supports it (which PS3, nor pretty much everything also does not).

Try downloading your illegal movies in a different format...
But my Tvix does! And you`d better learn what illegal is cause sharing movies with your friends is not!

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:57 pm

Koperfild wrote:And you`d better learn what illegal is cause sharing movies with your friends is not!
Errm, yes it is...

bizniss

Post by bizniss » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:58 pm

Koperfild wrote:And you`d better learn what illegal is cause sharing movies with your friends is not!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What a div.

DJans

Post by DJans » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:10 am

mgillespie wrote:MKV is a very niche container format. AVI, DivX and MP4 are the common containers, and Twonky supports these just fine, as does most video clients.
MKV is definitely not a niche format. I have more than 1 Gig of HD mkv material and mkv is the number one format for HD material. At the moment I use Twonkymedia on my Linkstation and it does not support mkv, so I have to stream mkv over smb to my Popcorn Hour player which is not the best solution. So please Twonky, add the mkv support!

willem53
AV Hardware:Popcornhour A-100, Pinnacle Showcenter, Kiss 1500

Post by willem53 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi,

Twonky server looks at file extentions, PCH looks at the file header.

if you rename a .mkv file to .wmv Twonky will stream it to PCH who will handle it as a mkv.

This works for all mediaplayers that are capable of handling mkv

mohamed
AV Hardware:DS207+

Post by mohamed » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:24 pm

Swithing to uShare...
I've got 1TB of *.dump files and *.xml files, can Twonky server stream them to my iphone ? :lol:

Boy MKV is definitly not a popular extension, and definitly DEAD !!!!!! See here !!!!!

From Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

"...A number of settop boxes such as the Popcorn Hour and Tvix media players have stated publically in user forums that they are considering or pursuing Matroska support, but as of Q2 2008 (nearly 6 years after its introduction) no manufacturer has produced a consumer electronics device with official Matroska playback capabilities..."

Let's start to rename and convert your 1TB illegal files. :wink: