Order of tracks on albums is sometimes wrong

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
leopold
AV Hardware:Windows 2003 x-64 Server with SP2
Lots of Netgear MP-101's
One Logik Internet Radio
Order of tracks on albums is sometimes wrong

Post by leopold » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:51 am

I've been using Twonky for a long time now (since version 2.9), as I've found it's the best server to use with my numerous MP101's. I've found that it's generally been very solid and does everything I need it to do. However, in the last few months I've noticed an issue which seems to rear it's head on occasion, and it's driving me mad!

The basis of the problem comes when adding a new album to the server. Most of the time, everything goes well, but just occasionally I get this issue where the tracks are in the wrong order. To give an example, I've just recently ripped a compilation CD and the contents of disc 3 appear before those of the first two. The tracks all run in the right order, just this third disc comes first. When I was working with the files, I noted I hadn't renamed the tracks for disc 3, but I corrected this before I uploaded the files to the folder where my music is shared from. I've also got a couple of other albums where I've had to replace tracks that encoded badly, and on occasion it parks these at the end of the album rather than where it should be.

This isn't restricted to the MP101's either. If I use the Twonky web browser, they are all out of order there too.

I'm really careful about my tagging and filenaming; all tracks have a track number and all the filenames of the MP3s start with the track number. When I list the folder contents in Windows, everything is in the right order and no sorting option ever appears like it does in Twonky. Short of modifying the title tags to show the track numbers as well, I can't see what else I can do.

But the odd thing is that, usually, it all works fine. Just occasionally it goes haywire and does this to me.

I'm using the Windows version of Twonky on Windows 2003 Server, 64 bit version, and all my music boxes are MP101's.

I've tried rebuilding the database twice. I've even deleted the database file manually and tried rebuilding. The sorting, however, seems to studiously ignore the track numbering and put everything back as it was. I've upgraded the version of Twonky from 4.4.4 to 4.4.6, then to 4.4.7 and finally to 4.4.9, but to no avail. I've rebooted the server, I've reinstalled Twonky, I've even ditched the entire contents of the shared music folder and restored from a backup and rebuilt, but nothing seems to fix it!

Does anyone have any ideas that doesn't involve rebuilding the server from scratch?

nutts
AV Hardware:Denon 4308
Pioneer BDP LX70A
2TB Icybox (IB-NAS4220-B)
Twonky 4.46
XBOX 360 Elite (x2)
Netgear MP101

Re: Order of tracks on albums is sometimes wrong

Post by nutts » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:09 pm

As with you, I got sick of the inconsistency :? So I went with the rename all title tags as track+title option. I've saved the original title in a new tag called orig_title. It's not prefect, but at least I can be sure it works every time. However, I would like to get back to the way it was... eventually :roll: