Re-use License from preinstalled TwonkyVision on NAS

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
tobox
AV Hardware:Hifidelio Pro
Freecom Musicpal
Qnap TS 109 II
DreamBox 7020Si
Fritz!Box 7170
Re-use License from preinstalled TwonkyVision on NAS

Post by tobox » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:26 am

Hi,

I bought a Qnap TS-109 II, dumped the original firmware (including the preinstalled TwonkyVision MediaServer) and started with a clean debian installation. Now I would like to run TwonkyVision on the device again, and I have some questions:
  • Since I obtained a valid license with the preinstalled Twonky, would it be legal to re-install Twonkey?
  • How would I extract the license from the original firmware?
  • Which download from http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/Tw ... cians.html should I use? It does not list any QNAP devices. I am running a standard Debian Testing system.
Regards,
Thomas

tobox
Freecom Musicpal
Qnap TS 109 II
DreamBox 7020Si
Fritz!Box 7170

Re: Re-use License from preinstalled TwonkyVision on NAS

Post by tobox » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Is there really nobody who knows about this?

:?:

Thomas

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:01 pm

You would have to read the licence terms, however I would suspect the licence stipulates it's only licenced to be used on the hardware it was supplied with.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

tobox
Freecom Musicpal
Qnap TS 109 II
DreamBox 7020Si
Fritz!Box 7170

Post by tobox » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:36 pm

mgillespie wrote:You would have to read the licence terms, however I would suspect the licence stipulates it's only licenced to be used on the hardware it was supplied with.
I want to use it on the hardware it was supplied with. I just don't want use with the pre-installed firmware.

Anyway, I just copied it from the original firmware into my current debian system, and everything seems to be running OK. I guess the license is somehow bound to the MAC-Address range or something.

Regards,
Thomas