Used Memory Full

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
flyboy183
AV Hardware:Dlink DNS323; Windows Vista 64; Playstation 3
Used Memory Full

Post by flyboy183 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:46 am

I just switched running TwonkyVision from my Vista box to my Dlink DNS-323. I keep getting an error message that the memory is full. Maximum available memory for the server is 15000 KB and all 15000 KB are being used. I honestly never noticed if this happened before I moved the program. Is this normal? What do I need to do to alleviate this? I am serving 12000 music files, 19000 pictures and 900 videos. Is there a limit to the number of files that TwonkyVision can serve?

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Used Memory Full

Post by mgillespie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:10 pm

there is no limit in the software, but you have discovered the problems when running on a NAS with very limited resources, that the hardware limit can be reached easilly. This is the reason I perfer a MiniITX based server rather than a NAS. Unless you can upgrade the NAS memory, or perhaps disable unused services, you are stuck.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

alanrab

Post by alanrab » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:21 pm

Hey, mgillespie:

Can you please direct me to a link or two to learn more about the MiniITX form factor? I know little to nothing about it, other than it's small and uses little power.

Which version of Twonkymedia would run on such a device?

By the way, thanks for keeping this forum alive.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:10 pm

http://www.mini-itx.com/

You can get various specifications of MiniITX (170mm square motherboard), or NanoITX(120mm x 120mm), but in short, even the 1st generation boards based on fanless VIA chips, which can be bought very cheaply, and are more than upto the job of being a Twonky server, stuff it with 1GB of RAM, and a lightweight LinuxOS, and it works really well. You might want to consider one of the newer generation boards, Intel Atom for example, if you want to do things like on-the-fly transcoding.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

alanrab

Post by alanrab » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:48 pm

Thanks for the info on MiniITX. With a few exceptions, it kind of looks like I'd have to build my own computer with one of these boards. I've never tackled that before, but am adept enough with electronics to do basics like add a hard disk drive and memory to a desktop PC.

It'd be great if I could find a site that explains what pieces/parts I need to purchase to assemble a low-energy consuming beast. I tried using my NSLU2 (unslung) but discovered it does not play well with WMA music files, which is the type I use for the vast majority of my stored music.

I sure like your idea of using such a setup to run Twonky. I'm using a desktop PC right now and don't feel great about the power it uses, about 75 watts at idle.

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:53 pm

They do some bundles:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=44

Intel D945GCLF, Noah Case, 1GB RAM & 320GB HDD
£149.00
£175.08 inc. VAT
Lead time approx 1-3 days

Intel D945GCLF, Noah Case, 1GB Bundle No HDD
£129.00
£151.58 inc. VAT
1-3 Day Lead Time