Twonky Issues

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
solowkey
AV Hardware:GigaNAS - PS3, Onkyo 605 , etc
Twonky Issues

Post by solowkey » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:58 am

Hi,

I have not long installed Twonky and have a couple of issues, i'm hoping there is an easy solution as i like the software and would definately buy it if i can sort these issues out.

I use twonky 4.4.9 on a twinbay GigaNas and stream to a PS3 on 2.52 firware over a Ethernet Connection.

1st annoying problem, it doesn't seem to sort folders correctly or at least no straight away. I have a huge library of audio, about 11,000 files i think but it doesnt sort the folders correctly, it starts of going A-Z but then it displays loads of folders all muddled up and then the '-ALL' entry and then another small A-Z section. I have had it working correct a couple of times but i dont understand how it sorts the folders i did think that it indexed the files and then it took time to sort them all as when i left Twonky running over time it seemed to sort more of the folders but then suddenly they were all completly unsorted again making it a mission to find a particular folder.(maybe i should just turn the rescan off, although it would be useful if it could just monitor the folders for changes)

This is the same for pictures and videos, even in folders where there are only 6 sub folders, it doesnt manage to sort correctly. I have only had this issue with Twonky , PS3 reads in order from TVersity.

So, can anyone detail how the sorting takes place and if there is anyway to adjust how it does it (other than adding different tree structures, as these still show folders in mixed up order). The issue exists if i go by album , artist, genre , folders etc

And the other issue is the recent streaming issue alot of people have been getting, where the music pauses to buffer or so it seems, music stops , then after some time (sometimes up to 30 seconds) the access light on the NAS suddunly starts flashing then the PS3 hdd light starts falshing and the music returns, this will happen evry 1 or 2 minutes, but not always, and more often than not it just cuts off in the mddle of the song and sends me back to the mixed up folder list :(

i have tried reinstalling it and rebuilding database, ajusting buffers etc but it doesnt help, its a shame as with these two issues its practicaly unsuable, and I really need it to work as it is the only DLNA client i have found that can be installeld on my NAS, meaning i have no way of listening to my media unless i boot up a pc aswell and point it to the NAS folders to index, which defeats the object of getting the nas in the first place.

Does any one have any advice ?

Thanks

hazeyfaze
AV Hardware:eMachine T3958

Re: Twonky Issues

Post by hazeyfaze » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:01 pm

I've had the music streaming issue, and it plagued me for quite some time. My setup for twonky was a standard PC, that was streaming music wirelessly using a linksys wireless card to my router, to which my XBOX 360 was wired. My desktop OS was linux (tried both Fedora and Ubuntu), with the same results... music would cut out after 1 -2 min. I was wrapping the windows xp drivers for my wireless card with ndiswrapper. So my solution to this problem was to do the following:

1) Uninstall the windows xp drivers for my wireless card.
2) Install the newest windows xp drivers for my wireless card.
3) Rebooted.

After a reboot using the newest drivers... everything streamed just fine. No more music cutting out, hope that helps someone else having a similar problem!