Licence Problem

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
steveg
AV Hardware:Buffalo link station
xbox x 2
ps3
Licence Problem

Post by steveg » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi,

Ive been using Twonkymedia for the 30 day trial, it suited my needs well, its version 4.4.9 and its on a buffalo linkstation, I decided to purchase a licence a few minutes ago, i got the licence, but it wont register, im getting this error "
You cannot register TwonkyMedia with a TwonkyMusic license. Please acquire a TwonkyMedia license or download TwonkyMusic"

It loks like ive messed up or ive been given the wrong licence, cam amybody help me out with advise on how to get it working again, unfortunately im having a party tonight, i was going to use twonky to stream all my music into the lounge, unfortunately that isnt going to happen now

Thanks in advance

Steve Godbold

rem

Re: Licence Problem

Post by rem » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:49 pm

looks like you bought the license for twonkymusic as opposed to twonkymedia. i think i remember that at one time, there were two server versions, one for just music, and the other that serves photos, videos, as well as music. if you are only looking to serve music, then just reinstall the music server version and enter the license you got for twonkymusic. unless you have it, however, i'm not sure how you can get a hold of the music only version.
twonky 4.3 on mss+ & twonky 5 on winxp sp3
serving 2 roku soundbridges & 1 ps3

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:23 pm

kiltbear wrote:Steve,

If you bough a license yesterday, then thgat license is for Twonky Media Manager 1.0, as it is the only license that can currently be bought on the Twonky website.

My guess is that TwonkyMedia Server 4.4.9 misinterprets that as a TwonkyMusic License.

We're all in the same boat, i am despüerately looking to buy a 4.4.9 license as well, since 5.0 and TMM crash on my machines.

Best regards and happy holidays
max

Thnks Max,

In that case im not a happy bunny, i dont have the media manager and i dont want it, luckily i brought it via credit card, if i dont get correct license prety damn quick I will do them for misrepresentation :evil:

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Licence problem; this is urgent so please fix it for us!

Post by Briain » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi

I'm in the same boat in that I have just bought a new NAS (for a customer) and cannot licence TM4.4.9. Given that TM5 currently doesn't work with FLAC files and this NAS is for a customer with an expensive Linn system which will be used only to play FLAC files, I either need a TM4 licence or the next release of TM5 (with FLAC support and a configurable music tree and a NAS version) to be made available within 30 days or the system will simply stop working. To be honest, I can't see the TM5 situation being sorted in 30 days (and certainly not a ReadyNAS version) and we thus need the TM4 licence situation sorted. The current situation is absolutely appalling and should never have been permitted to happen; in a few weeks, it will leave this (and many more) new customers with nothing working at all.

It's worth noting that another company is currently developing a free FLAC/MP3 mediaserver but unfortunately it's only ever going to be a Windows product. I really do like TM (particularly for the extremel low resource usage and the music tree configuration options), I really like the high energy efficiency of a Linux ReadyNAS (about 12W in hibernation), I like proper RAID1 (and not a microsoft fiddled alternative) and thus for all these reasons, I really don't want to be forced to use Windows Home Server based NAS devices. That said, if this situation isn't resolved quickly, I simply can't see any alternative but to recommend that people go down that route. Until we can buy the licence, it's currently WHS (and a free media server) or no music after 30 days!

Dear Twonky people, please fix this quickly both for our sakes, and more critically, for your own business plan!

Bri
Last edited by Briain on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:42 am

Hi Bri,

Thanks for the details above, like you I need the 4.4.9 nothing else works as i want it to on my buffalo linkstation, its a pity this new company cant communicate, they have buyers for the software, but dont seem to want our custom.

I phoned my credit card company this morning, packetvideo are already known to them, others like myself have paid via there website for 4.4.9 and then found out that they get a licence for the windows manager.

Im giving them a week to respond to my emails, if i get nothing my card issuer has already said i will get my money back, problen is I would much rather just have the correct license key.

I will keep this thread informed of how i get on.

Steve G

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi Steve

I just spotted this post here claiming that it might work; is that the process you followed? I'm desperate to get a licence here and am almost tempted to give it go. I now have 5 people who are about to be seriously let down if this isn't sorted. I'm not a hi-fi dealer, just someone who has advised on purchase and then helped various people setting up their network/NAS devices.

It's such a shame as it all seems so unnecessary and it's even worse than I initially thought: I've just been given a friends D-Link 323 to update from 4.4.6 to 4.4.9 such that he can get the Shoutcast internet radio working and I cannot find any of the NAS installation packages; they seem to have been completely removed from the site.

So I'm now left with one person who has bought a ReadyNAS but wont be able to use it for his music in 3 weeks, another who cannot update their D-Link NAS to give internet radio, and three more who bought a ReadyNAS to use with a Logitech Duet (to get them going) but intend to upgrade to the basic Linn DS (Sneaky DS) sometime very soon. I recommended they get Netgear ReadyNAS's since they happily/easily work on both systems, but these will be useless without TM on them.

Hopefully this will all get sorted before I have to tell them what's happened, but since two of them are expecting their NAS's back next week, it looks like I'm going to have some explaining to do. If it isn't sorted out soon, my name will be mud and my credibility will be zero.

Help!

Bri

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:53 pm

Hi Bri,

Like you i found out earlier today all the packages have been removed, have you or anyone else tried phoning them? To me it looks terminal, I cant see them supporting nas devices for user installs any longer.

This has left me right in the crapper, why support cant post a reply on these forums is beyond me!!! They have a good product, but support stinks

Steve G

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi Steve

I'm not only head down in the crapper over the licence issues but finding out that the NAS packages have been removed has just totally flushed it!

I've just added a post to the chain here as the Rick (the TM Product Manager) seems to be reading that part of the forum.

Bri

bbrip

Post by bbrip » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:51 pm

A completely useless bunch of people !

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:26 am

Briain wrote:Hi Steve

I'm not only head down in the crapper over the licence issues but finding out that the NAS packages have been removed has just totally flushed it!

I've just added a post to the chain here as the Rick (the TM Product Manager) seems to be reading that part of the forum.

Bri
Hi Bri,

Thanks for the link to the other thread, i will post on there shortly.

Thanks also to Kittbear and bbrip, you have now confirmed that i have wasted my time and money on this product.

Bri, with regards to the link you gave for me to Register 4.4.9 and get correct license, I definately wont try that method, ive wasted £30 already, and Im sure i did it the way TMM product manager described, like bbrip said " completely and utterly useless"

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:53 pm

Briain wrote:Hi Steve

Bri
I believe the news of support for 3rd party NAS installs being dropped is not new. It was announced a long time back.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:16 pm

Well, for what it was worth I phoned PV in Germany today (i can speak German) Phone rang, then went through to answerphone, no mention of when they return back after holidays, but they did say leave a message and they would return my call, this was around 11am this morning, no surprise I have heard nothing, I will keep you informed if anything transpires !!!!

Steve G

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:18 am

I have emailed them again tonight, Im giving them to 6th Jan to reply, then its end of the road, I will recall my payment via credit card and use Mediatomb instead, lets see where this goes, but not holding my breath concidering my experience and others on these SUPPORT forums !!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:29 pm

[quote]Email support system wher you get absolutely zero reaction, not even an automated receipt after two weeks is just completely pathetic, useless and a slap in the face of every existing and potential customer.[quote]

When i emailed support for the third time on 30 Dec, for the first time I got a automated support ref number, is this a first? it certainly is for me, it had 628 at the end, my guess loads of customers are awaiting replies :evil:

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:30 pm

steveg wrote:
In that case im not a happy bunny, i dont have the media manager and i dont want it, luckily i brought it via credit card, if i dont get correct license prety damn quick I will do them for misrepresentation :evil:
I don;t think anyone is misrepresenting anything. You clicked on the website to buy TwonkyMediaManager, agreed to buy it, and got exactly that.

I don't believe too many people are working on registration issues until Jan 5th, if you wait until then, then I'm sure it will get sorted out to your satisfaction. In future, can I suggest you make sure you are buying the correct product before clicking the BUY button.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:09 pm

mgillespie wrote:
steveg wrote:
I don;t think anyone is misrepresenting anything. You clicked on the website to buy TwonkyMediaManager, agreed to buy it, and got exactly that.

I don't believe too many people are working on registration issues until Jan 5th, if you wait until then, then I'm sure it will get sorted out to your satisfaction. In future, can I suggest you make sure you are buying the correct product before clicking the BUY button.
You Mr Moderator have totally got up my goat !!! yes im keeping it polite, I dont know who you think you are, but I certainly would not talk to my customers in that manner, for background i am a retail manager in my 50s, courtesy cost nothing !!! and I give it for nothing but for respect in return, yes im now angry :evil: :evil:

zlemonz
AV Hardware:Roku Soungbridge M1000, PS3, Xbox 360

Post by zlemonz » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:08 pm

I'm stuck as well. My trial for version TM 4 expired mid december and the new TMM 5 doesn't work with my Soundbridge properly.
I've emailed and emailed and no response. I'll gladly pay for a license, but it needs to be for 4.4.9 now and work with 5.0 later when things are fixed.
I'm getting desperate now. I'm using Firefly for my music on the Soundbridge and that works fine, but I need to be able to stream video to my Xbox 360.
Does anyone know of any other solutions? I'll have to look at alternatives if this can't be sorted out.

phatair
AV Hardware:Synology DS 107+ and a Philips NP2900

Post by phatair » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:05 am

Hello together,

i have the same problem here. I bought a Philips NP2900 Player. This included a Twonky Media Server 5.0 licence. I use a Synology DS 107+, so i installed the Twonky Media Server 4.4.9 on m NAS. The licence key dont work - i get the error that i using a Twonky Music key and i should buy a Twonky MEdia Server key. After this my test periode is 0 days - THANK YOU :evil:
I send a mail to the support and hope i get a key and i can use the 4.4.9 Twonky Media Server.
I dont understand why this key wont work with the old version - this is totaly stupid. They stopped the support for the NAS and if someone use the old version on his NAS with a new key (he pay for this) than it wont work. This is not very fair!!!!!!

Why is the NAS support not longer available? i mean - a lot of peope will run the twonky on a NAS, because this is the best solution. i dont want to run my pc all the time to listen to my music. I read in a forum that twonky stopped the support for the NAS because so many people dont know how to use it on the NAS and wrote so many mails to the support. I can believe it - than they should bring out a NAS version without support and every mail will be deleted automaticly.

I hope a get a answer very quick from the support. At the moment i'm not very happy with Twonky and i think about a alternativ solution.

Best regards,
Phatair

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:18 pm

I have just come off the phone with my bank, I have reclaimed my license fee, I have not had a single message reply to my phone calls, support emails or forums posts, in short this company is disgustingly ignorant of there customer needs, I would not recommended them, in fact my advice would be to steer clear.

Twonky-Rene

Post by Twonky-Rene » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi!

We are going to provide an updated version of all NAS installer packages we used to have. The new version number will be 4.4.11. This version will accept all old 4.4.x license keys, TMM 1.0 license keys AND TMS 5.x license keys.

We will try to release the updated version tomorrow (Friday, January 9th), latest on Monday. Look out for an announcement from Twonky-christian.

Best regards,

René

phatair

Post by phatair » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:52 pm

Hi René,

thanks for this good news :)
I hope this included a installer for the Synology DS 107+ :)
Its good to see that there is something going on and we are not alone with our problem.
Thanks!

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Twonky-Rene wrote:Hi!

We are going to provide an updated version of all NAS installer packages we used to have. The new version number will be 4.4.11. This version will accept all old 4.4.x license keys, TMM 1.0 license keys AND TMS 5.x license keys.

We will try to release the updated version tomorrow (Friday, January 9th), latest on Monday. Look out for an announcement from Twonky-christian.

Best regards,

René

Hi Ren, you have replied to my thread, but addressed other users information, what about my problem, ie the key I have will not work? I need the correct license key which i paid 39.95 for on the 24th Dec 2008 !!!!

phatair

Post by phatair » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:07 pm

Hi steveg,

hm...my english is not the best but the solution from rene is for you, too isnt it?
they will bring out a new NAS installer version 4.4.11 and wich this version you can use your new 5er key.
i have the same problem - i installed 4.4.9 on my diskstation and have a new 5er key - i get the same error message like you on post #1. so i think your problem is solved. Or did i understand someting totaly wrong?? :?:

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:15 pm

phatair wrote:Hi steveg,

hm...my english is not the best but the solution from rene is for you, too isnt it?
they will bring out a new NAS installer version 4.4.11 and wich this version you can use your new 5er key.
i have the same problem - i installed 4.4.9 on my diskstation and have a new 5er key - i get the same error message like you on post #1. so i think your problem is solved. Or did i understand someting totaly wrong?? :?:
I dont think it will work, that aside, I have 4.4.9, I want to keep 4.4.9 it took me ages to get this working on my linkstation, I dont want to upgrade if it means Ive got to reinstall.

Im not experienced with this sort of stuff, to be honest what I have works perfectly and does what I want, just give me a key that will work on 4.4.9 is that really so difficult?

Lennart
AV Hardware:Xbox 360

Post by Lennart » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:32 pm

As far as I understood Rene, your TMM 1.0 key will work on the NAS-version of TMS (4.4.11). You will have to upgrade your install though...

I am not sure they will sell keys for 4.4.9 anymore...

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:06 pm

Thanks Lennart, Ithink you might be right, I suppose i will just have to wait and see, :|

rock&roll
AV Hardware:Server: Twonky 4.x.x on RipServer, QNAP NAS and Win XP PC.
Player: Linn DS players, all models

Post by rock&roll » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:42 am

I'm in a different situation, but still with product license (product key). Maybe one or two days before show up of Twonky 5.x I've bought 4.x.x product key by online shop, paid by money transfer, and no one has send me the product key. I'm a Hi-Fi retailer, so I wanted to test some software/hardware config and buy more of product keys for 4.x.x version. There was also no responses to my e-mail sent to Twonky. You're making very nice software, but customer support is very annoying. :!:

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:08 pm

rock&roll wrote:I'm in a different situation, but still with product license (product key). Maybe one or two days before show up of Twonky 5.x I've bought 4.x.x product key by online shop, paid by money transfer, and no one has send me the product key. I'm a Hi-Fi retailer, so I wanted to test some software/hardware config and buy more of product keys for 4.x.x version. There was also no responses to my e-mail sent to Twonky. You're making very nice software, but customer support is very annoying. :!:
Hi Rock&Roll

I had a pm from Rene today stating that the license key would work with version 5 and the yet to released version, I upgraded my 4.4.9 to 5 (which i didnt want to do) guess what? your right in one, it didnt work !!!! Ive now drafted everything I need to get my credit card to refund my $39:95 which I paid on 24 Dec, it would appear there own support people dont know whats going on, to be honest im appalled by there sustomer support, or lack of it, Rene was the first person to make any comment whatsoever yesterday, I have had no replies to repeated emails and phone calls to there main office in Berlin

So you could say im pretty hacked off now

Steve

rock&roll
AV Hardware:Server: Twonky 4.x.x on RipServer, QNAP NAS and Win XP PC.
Player: Linn DS players, all models

Post by rock&roll » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:29 pm

I've paid them on 16th December. There wasn't any problems with product keys in the past (when I bought previous licenses), so what is going on?

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:37 pm

rock&roll wrote:I've paid them on 16th December. There wasn't any problems with product keys in the past (when I bought previous licenses), so what is going on?
I dont know either mate, I just got this email from there support team, it does not apply to me as my problem is ive got the wrong key, but it think it applies to you as you have the correct key but it dont work, let me know how you get on, it seems we are not alone with these problems

Hi Steve,

sorry for the delay.

The TwonkyMedia server 5.0 license key works with the server 4.4.9. You can buy this license in our online-shop.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.

Thanks
The TwonkyMedia Team

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:58 pm

Ok just had another email from twonky support, they have sent me a new license key, I purchased the wrong version by mistake, I can confirm that the media service licenses does work on 4.4.9 and 5.0, I have two linkstations, one with 4.4.9 fully configured, then after all these problems I put verion 5.0 on the second linkstation, to see if my old key would work on it, it didnt !!! now Ive got this new key both versions fully work, I will of course now remove media server 5.0 from the second linkstation and upgrade the 4.4.9 when the new software is released shortly and it is confirmed there are no upgrade issues. hope this post help someone, any questions feel free to post of pm me

Steve G

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

4.4.11 available

Post by twonky-christian » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi,

the 4.4.11 version that accepts all 5.x license keys is now available here:
http://www.twonkyforum.com/unsupported/4.4.11/

including the NAS versions.

thanks
Christian

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:45 pm

Thanks Christian, I didnt realise it was out yet :|

phatair

Post by phatair » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:22 am

Thx Christian!

rem

Re: 4.4.11 available

Post by rem » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:24 am

twonky-christian wrote:Hi,

the 4.4.11 version that accepts all 5.x license keys is now available here:
http://www.twonkyforum.com/unsupported/4.4.11/

including the NAS versions.

thanks
Christian
christian, thank you very much. all of us using a nas appreciates this very very much.
i have a question, however. i remember that with version 4.x we were allowed up to 3 servers on one license. does this still apply if we use the license for version 5 with version 4.4.11?

steveg
xbox x 2
ps3

Post by steveg » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:22 pm

Thank you all at PV, although my problems were sorted sometime back, PV with no prompting from me apologied for the inconvenience and gave me a full refund, now thats what I call looking after your customers, thank you once again, i didnt expect a refund it was very kind, in return I will donate the money to Hope House a local charity for terminally ill children which I support here in Shrewsbury

Thank you again

Steve G

rem

Re: 4.4.11 available

Post by rem » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:00 am

rem wrote:christian, thank you very much. all of us using a nas appreciates this very very much.
i have a question, however. i remember that with version 4.x we were allowed up to 3 servers on one license. does this still apply if we use the license for version 5 with version 4.4.11?
hi,

i've upgraded to tms 5 on windows and just realized that on my maxtor shared storage +, version 4.3 is saying "This key is already in use by another instance of the server" and is not functioning. does installing version 5 on my pc invalidate my key for version 4.3 on the nas? and whatever happened to the 3 device policy? could i use the key for version 5 on both windows and my nas, which is still on 4.3?

Gorby

Post by Gorby » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Hello,

I have been using TwonkyMedia Server for a few years now and I bought what used to be a "lifetime license" when I started using it. According to the terms back then, that license was suppose to be good for updates/upgrades as long as I still use the product. I just tried to use my license key for the TMS 5.0 and I get an error message that this license is not valid for this version. Can I get a new key re-issued?

Thank you.

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:31 am

Gorby wrote:Hello,

I have been using TwonkyMedia Server for a few years now and I bought what used to be a "lifetime license" when I started using it. According to the terms back then, that license was suppose to be good for updates/upgrades as long as I still use the product. I just tried to use my license key for the TMS 5.0 and I get an error message that this license is not valid for this version. Can I get a new key re-issued?

Thank you.
Email support, they will sort it out, there is a problem with lifetime licences and TMS5 apparently.

Gorby

Post by Gorby » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:28 pm

Thanks. Sent an email and got it all resolved next day (today). Back up and running :D

Kudos to Twonky Support team for quick and painless resolution.

NalleBear

Post by NalleBear » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:11 am

OK, then I will try this again. It's my fourth attempt to get a working TMS 5.0 key from support, since my lifetime license is not accepted by TMS5.

You can read more about this topic in this thread.

I just sent a new request and now I am keeping my fingers crossed, that there will be a satisfying reaction from Twonky support this time.

Regards, Nalle.