Where to find TMS 5.0 updates (incl. TMS for NAS devices)

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
mikle_01
Re: Where to find TMS 5.0 updates (incl. TMS for NAS devices)

Post by mikle_01 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:05 am

Wow...that could be only a few hours...the last time i tried that link no content was there (http 404 error) :wink: I'll guess it was overlapping...

Thank's - will try today..
NAS: Synology DS211j 4TB with Twonky 6.0.31 "Kirkwood"- Clients: Philips Streamium NP2500, Sagem "My Dual 700", WD TV Live Gen.2 + Gen.3, - TV:Philips 42PFL8654

mikle_01

Post by mikle_01 » Sat May 23, 2009 1:21 pm

Problems with this build 5.0.65 on my NAS Synology DS107+.

Server found not all content (or rather store in DB), in Directory mode Directories are 30 % empty.

Try several rescan and rebuild - no luck...
NAS: Synology DS211j 4TB with Twonky 6.0.31 "Kirkwood"- Clients: Philips Streamium NP2500, Sagem "My Dual 700", WD TV Live Gen.2 + Gen.3, - TV:Philips 42PFL8654

RG1
AV Hardware:Philips Streamium WAC 7500
Philips Streamium WAS 7500
Philips Streamium WAC 6050
Philips Streamium NP 2900

Post by RG1 » Sat May 23, 2009 6:45 pm

Hi mikle_01,
have no problems with 5.0.65 on Linkstation Pro. Is there enough space for the database left on your NAS? Do you have relocated the database to a bigger volume (other than root volume /)? You could try to delete the archived databases wich are named default.view.<number>.old.

clementlo
AV Hardware:Synology 101G+, PlayStation 3

TMS 5.0 updates.. Didn't work with Synology 101G+...

Post by clementlo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:05 am

Hi guys, I got an Synology 101G+... Just a little warning for people trying to upgrade to 5.0.65 from 4.4.11.. Backup your stuffs!

I was runing 4.4.11 with no problem.. Then I try to upgrade it. At first, it seem to work... It is Scaning my contants as usual. And I can already see some of the files on mine PS3 when it is scaning.

However, when the scaning is completed an hour later. I log into port 9000... to check on the Status of the Server... it say my Video file is "0" and Music files is "0"... but just an hour ago, I saw it was counting up like 3000+ pictures files...
4000+ music files.... but 1 hour later.. it say "0" ZERO!

So go onto my PS3 to search for a Media Player... it founded.. but when I click on it.. I got no files... After that.. the server just hang.. I can't access any of my map drive, nor I can see the server any more... I reboot my synology... it boot.. but no access to the drive. I can't even access synology's web setup... by using the port 5000!

I ended up taken my harddrive out of my synology 101G+ and put it in my other PC to wipe the partition... reformat the harddrive.

I was thinking I done something wrong.. so Yesterday, I tried it for the 2nd time... and excetly same thing happen! Lucky I have all my stuffs backed up! So TMS 5.0.65 didn't work with 101G+ period! Just backup your stuffs if you wanted to try.

mikle_01

Re: TMS 5.0 updates.. Didn't work with Synology 101G+...

Post by mikle_01 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:15 am

clementlo wrote:Hi guys, I got an Synology 101G+... Just a little warning for people trying to upgrade to 5.0.65 from 4.4.11.. Backup your stuffs!....
Hi Clementlo,

what FW does your DS 101g running!? I've similar problems with combination of my DS 107+, TW 5.x and the newest Synolgy FW 2.1-0844.

My DS is totally confused; no web access (DiskStation Management 2.1 reachable!!), boot problems (takes a long time to boot and shot down, and so on....)

Even it's not possible, to reset the DS to run installation and format the disk, etc... - so it seems, my DS is dead.

- Mikle

clementlo

Post by clementlo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:32 am

mikle_01 wrote:
clementlo wrote:Hi guys, I got an Synology 101G+... Just a little warning for people trying to upgrade to 5.0.65 from 4.4.11.. Backup your stuffs!....
Hi Clementlo,

what FW does your DS 101g running!? I've similar problems with combination of my DS 107+, TW 5.x and the newest Synolgy FW 2.1-0844.

My DS is totally confused; no web access (DiskStation Management 2.1 reachable!!), boot problems (takes a long time to boot and shot down, and so on....)

Even it's not possible, to reset the DS to run installation and format the disk, etc... - so it seems, my DS is dead.

- Mikle
Hi, my firmware version is the latest... v2.0.3 from 2007. Synology had stop supporting DS101G+... so there won't be anymore firmware update for mine DS101G+

I don't know DS107.. but for my DS101G+ the firmware actually written into the harddrive. If TMS screwed up your firmware that was written to your harddrive; you need to totally remove it from the harddrive... Rebooting or reseting it won't help.. because it just booting the screwed up firmware again... and you can't access it after it booting up this crap.... To save my DiskStation, I just wipe my harddrive partition (ON ANOTHER PC) then use "Synology Assistant" to write my firmware back into the harddrive then reboot. After that my diskstation came alive again... But of course I lose all the files... but I have back up.

Try pulling your harddrive out from your DS107, put that harddrive on another PC... use a Windows XP CD boot your PC up... then go through the installation... And Delete all your UNKNOW and UNIX partitions.. Then put that harddrive back to your DS107 and then flash your firmware using the DiskStation Management 2.1. I have a feelings that as soon as you deleted the partitions you should have access to your Disktation using DiskStation Management 2.1 again. Because same thing happen to me, I can see my Diskstation using the Synology Assistant but I can't access it. Until I remove the partitions... Then reboot. A Yellow flashing lights come on meaning My harddrive was not formatted... and I can flash the firmware back again and reformat the drive using the utility.... Just like when I first brought it home new.... Hope this help...

RG1
AV Hardware:Philips Streamium WAC 7500
Philips Streamium WAS 7500
Philips Streamium WAC 6050
Philips Streamium NP 2900

Post by RG1 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi,
have you tried to relocate your database to another volume? In default configuration twonky writes the database to somthing like /var/twonkymedia. The database of versions 5.x is somewhat bigger than that of 4.x and fills your root partition really fast if you use default configuration and have a lot of content on your media server. If root partition is full your nas will not operate correctly or it won't start anymore. So for a fresh install of twonky 5.x don't try to scan all your content before relocating the database.

clementlo

Post by clementlo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:46 pm

RG1 wrote:Hi,
have you tried to relocate your database to another volume? In default configuration twonky writes the database to somthing like /var/twonkymedia. The database of versions 5.x is somewhat bigger than that of 4.x and fills your root partition really fast if you use default configuration and have a lot of content on your media server. If root partition is full your nas will not operate correctly or it won't start anymore. So for a fresh install of twonky 5.x don't try to scan all your content before relocating the database.
Isn't it write to the public directory? public/twonkymedia ? I got a 700 GB harddrive... shouldn't have any problem... I am going back to 4.4.11 for now... 2 times is enough...

mikle_01

Post by mikle_01 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:48 pm

Today, got a rapid answer from the Synology support (Thanks guy's from Synology - that 's great support)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
For modification with the 3rd-party software (Twonky) , we haven't tested it and can't guarantee its compatibly. Accoring to your description, it seems the modification has make the database and Apache corrupted, so this issue occurred.

We assume either your volume is crash or your disk is faulty. We suggest you to backup as the first priority.

1. Download explore2fs, a ext3 file system reader for Windows (http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs)
2. Remove HDD from the DS
3. Install it in a Windows PC
4. Use explore2fs to view your data

Your data will be located under the "volume1" folder. If you have a blog, your blog data should be under the "/volume1/@database" folder.

After recovering your data, let's check to see if your hard disk is healthy or not. Please perform a SMART test on your hard disk. We recommend you to use disk diagnostic tools, such as WD Lifeguard, in order to proceed the test. Please refer to this link for detail information: http://support.wdc.com/product/download ... id=3〈=en

If your hard disk is ok, or if you need to change to a new hard disk, insert the (new) hard disk into the system and re-install the latest firmware again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess, it's the same issue, you're described, clementlo - will try to fix tomorrow.

- Mikle

mikle_01

Post by mikle_01 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:45 am

RG1 wrote:Hi,
RG1,

how could I change / relocate the place of the DB!? With the webfrontend (TW configuration ) theres still no section to relocate / declare the DB.

- Mikle

mikle_01

Post by mikle_01 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:32 am

clementlo wrote:....However, when the scaning is completed an hour later. I log into port 9000... to check on the Status of the Server... it say my Video file is "0" and Music files is "0"... but just an hour ago, I saw it was counting up like 3000+ pictures files...
4000+ music files.... but 1 hour later.. it say "0" ZERO!

So go onto my PS3 to search for a Media Player... it founded.. but when I click on it.. I got no files... After that.. the server just hang.. I can't access any of my map drive, nor I can see the server any more... I reboot my synology... it boot.. but no access to the drive. I can't even access synology's web setup... by using the port 5000!

I ended up taken my harddrive out of my synology 101G+ and put it in my other PC to wipe the partition... reformat the harddrive.

I was thinking I done something wrong.. so Yesterday, I tried it for the 2nd time... and excetly same thing happen! Lucky I have all my stuffs backed up! So TMS 5.0.65 didn't work with 101G+ period! Just backup your stuffs if you wanted to try.

Caution! Caution! Caution! Caution!

I had the same problem with my Synolgy DS107+!! After install TMS 5.0.65 I had total malefunction and breakdown of my DS! Couldn't reach the DS via webinterface (Disk Station Management 2.1), boot- and shutdown problems, no printing possible with usb printer,...and TMS 5.0.65 didn't run correctly. Installers said that; but it wasn't. Same problems as clementlo decribed : false and confused information about counting up the files (de- and increasing), no access to files that should be there and be accesible....

Result:
- I had to backup all my files from NAS to my PC (thank god of explore2fs ) but ~500GB takes hour(s) :evil:
- After that wiped the disk, re-assembly in the NAS case
- Install Synolgy FW
- Copy all files back (takes further hours :evil: )
- Install Twonky (4.4.17!!!!!!)

So: I didn't try a 2.nd time TMS 5.5.x as clementlo did: cost me still 1/2 day to try TMS 5.5.065 and go back to 4.4.x.

So be warned and alert to try that (on any other NAS or only Synolgy?)

- Mikle

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:07 pm

mikle_01 wrote:
how could I change / relocate the place of the DB!? With the webfrontend (TW configuration ) theres still no section to relocate / declare the DB.

- Mikle
Note: I have updated the below post (with some good news) today (4th June)

Hi

There are a couple of options

Easy method (hope this works):

The original post I very kindly received from Reinhard at PV was referring to the cache directory, but it's really just the database you need to move.

Original text from Reinhard:
It might be a good idea to set the cache on the big user disk /c i guess.
You might be able to do this just through rpc calls in the web interface (needs to be tested).

http://ip:port/rpc/set_option?cachedir=/c/cache
http://ip:port/rpc/rebuild

I don't know if /c/cache is ok, but you should be able to create such a folder on the big disk (e.g. through SMB) and then use the path in the rpc call.

My thoughts would be that you could maybe try typing the below into your browser:

http://ip:port/rpc/set_option?dbdir=/c/media/twonkydb
Then restart Twonky (to pick up the changes) then rebuild the database.

Note: The above assumes that the correct linux path is /c/media and not something like /c/HD_a2/media. Someone who knows your NAS might chip in here and answer that.

I've tried both (in my case, http:// 192.168.96.10:9000/rpc/set_option?dbdir=/c/twonkydb) on the PC version of 5.0.61 and http:// 192.168.96.22:9000/rpc/set_option?dbdir=/c/media/twonkydb on the NAS) though it does sucessfully update the ini file in both cases, performing a restart and database rebuild doesn't actually populate the folders on the Windosw version of 5.0.61 (5.0.61 seems to be ignoring the settings in its ini file), but it does work (and populates the new database files) with the Netgear forum version 5.0.55 on my ReadyNAS. The trouble is that it doesn't work with the Netgear ReadyNAS 5.0.55 release on the PV site. It looks a bit like it's something to do with the location of the twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini file on the official Netgear build version.

The trouble is that you still need to SSH to delete the database files (contents of default.view) prior to performing a rebuild or it archives the old one. You can see it in your mapped drive but do not have delete permissions.

I have briefly tried the above but have not extensively tested it as I already have a symbolic link to point the database to where I want it. I can't see why it wouldn't work, but I'd strongly advise anyone trying this to first enable SSH access on their NAS so they can get in and sort it out in case the database reverts to it's default location (in /var) and fills up the OS partition until the NAS breaks! Obvilusly, I'd strongly advise having a backup of your NAS as well.

Trickier but still proven method (requires SSH access to NAS though):
If this doesn't move the database in 5.0.65, you'll have to install a symbolic link and then install Twonky again. There's a recent post towards the end of the previous page in this chain which has great information about how to do this. I use a version of 5.0.55 modified by a Netgear forum user to work on a Netgear ReadyNAS. It creates the symbolic link automatically but the other post I refer to tells you how to do it prior to installing the version suited to your own type of NAS.

You basically create a 'symbolic link' which is a link from where the Twonky files (including the database) normally resides to where you actually want it to reside. You then install the Twonky package on the NAS (as normal), and any files that would normally be installed to the place where you have put the link, are instead installed at where the link points to. As the two are linked, any other part of the Twonky programme that expects to see the files in the original place is 'fooled' by the link and sees them where it expects to see them.

Hope that helps

Bri

Update: For some reason, I now can't get 5.0.65 to run on my PC. I've tried installing it 6 times (different combinations of installation options including key, no key, system service or not etc). It installs okay but then brings up an error stating that WMDRMSDK.DLL is missing. When trying to start the service, it claims that the watchdog service isn't working and closes again. Trying to start it again brings up no errors but it just stops again before properly starting.

This unfortunately means I cannot prove whether the database and cache file relocations initiated by the above RPC type commands will work. I know they do change the ini files and know that 5.0.65 is meant to read the ini files correctly, but I just can't verify that it works (it doesn’t in 5.0.61, but I have just put back 5.0.61 back on my PC and it fires up without any problem).
Last edited by Briain on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 10 times in total.

mikle_01

Post by mikle_01 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:51 pm

Thanks for this info, but I'am definitely not eager to experiment with this faulty version! For me it's to risky and unsafe...

- Mikle

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi

I can understand your concerns! I've done a bit more testing on my own NAS and have updated the above post. The RPC commands to relocate the database seem to work on my NAS. I've tried several database rebuilds ant it all works well (apart from the archiving bug). that said, my NAS has a non standard Twonky build on it so I'll try it on the standard PV version of 5.0.55 for the Netgear ReadyNAS then report back.

As long as you have your data backed up though, there's no harm in trying; that's how you learn about things. :)

Bri
Last edited by Briain on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clementlo

Post by clementlo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:05 pm

For me, I just don't have time to play with this anymore... I wait till the next version... :D

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi

'Too-much-time-on-my-hands' Briain is back with an update :)

I've tried removing the super-poussin (version 1.5) addon version of Twonky 5.0.55 from my test NAS and installing the standard PV Netgear ReadyNAS 5.0.55 version. The super-poussin one has the symbolic link set to /c/webroot and thus all files from /var/twonkymedia and /var/cache (including the database) are moved to /c/webroot. I manually deleted all the links and the existing files to ensure there were no traces left but I cannot be sure I captured everything though. The super-poussin version is the one where I tried to relocate the database using the RPC commands and it worked really well.

With the standard PV ReadyNAS 5.0.55, I tried the RPC trick but it left the files where they were. I think the problem is that the standard version seems not to install the twonkymedia-server.ini file where you'd expect it to be (I couldn't find it anywhere, but it must be somewhere). The s-p version installs it with the other files in /c/webroot/Twonky so I looked at the Twonky files /var but it wasn't there; most odd. I should have maybe looked in /var/cache but I've reverted to the S-P addon version now.

The other problem is that the default setting of the standard PV version sets the sharing to /media which means that it starts scanning the entire NAS as soon as you install it. Unless you catch it and stop it (by un-ticking the share), it will continue until the database has grown in size enough to fill up the entire OS partition and thus break the ReadyNAS (which takes, from memory about 8000 tracks). Since the database building process uses a lot of the NAS resources, it takes a wee while to actually get to the web settings to stop it, so you have to be a bit careful with your timing! The SP version is preset to no shares so no scan happens after installation (not that it would matter since the database is safely located in /c/webroot/Twonky anyway). I would think it better if all versions of Twonky have no preset shares; particularly if it's one that points to an entire NAS drive!

It's all so frustratingly near and yet just not quite there; I think you're absolutely correct and should await the next release. I'll go back to the super-poussin version and play some music, but I am really looking forward to trying the next version though; there are a good few local people I know that want to use my music tree but would be frightened off by the requirement to use SSH access to do things like delete the database. That's just people I know locally; there must be really quite a lot of other people who would like to do this too.

Bri

campbellr66

Post by campbellr66 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:10 pm

The link to the ReadyNas install of TwonkyMedia server 5.0.65 actual links to 5.0.55.bin

Where is the 5.0.65.bin ?
Infrant ReadyNAS, TV MediaServer 4.4, TVedia win32 Client 4.2, DSM-320, Pinnacle SC200, Streamium 50i

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:28 pm

I just sent an e-mail to our Berlin office to check on this. When they respond, I'll post it here.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

campbellr66

Netgear ReadyNAS unsupported on the Unsupported List

Post by campbellr66 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:31 pm

I have noticed that the Netgear ReadyNAS has not been supported since the introduction of 5.0.65 and is also missing from the list of devices on the 5.1 beta.

I this a strategic decision by PV?

Can anyone comment?
Infrant ReadyNAS, TV MediaServer 4.4, TVedia win32 Client 4.2, DSM-320, Pinnacle SC200, Streamium 50i

JonasAndersson

TMS 5.0 on a DNS-323

Post by JonasAndersson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:34 pm

Hi everyone!

Has someone tried to install the latest version of TMS on a D-Link DNS-323? If so, please share your experiance.

Jonas

mikle_01

Post by mikle_01 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:35 pm

The same question about the Synology DS 107+. With the last beta I had very bad experience.... (total malefunction of the DS!!)

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS unsupported on the Unsupported List

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:06 am

campbellr66 wrote:I have noticed that the Netgear ReadyNAS has not been supported since the introduction of 5.0.65 and is also missing from the list of devices on the 5.1 beta.

I this a strategic decision by PV?

Can anyone comment?
Nope. I'm told that we do not create the ReadyNAS builds. We always make a new request for these builds and post them here when we get them. There is the reason there is always a lag between the time that we issue updates and they appear for the ReadyNAS.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

5.0.65 Update for ReadyNAS Duo and NV+

Post by Briain » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi

I use the Super-Poussin build of 5.0.55 from the Netgear forum. This puts the database safely in a new directory (/c/webroot/Twonky/db).

I just extracted the twonkymediaserver file from the Linux SPARC glibc 2.3.2 build file and over wrote the 5.0.55 one on my NAS. It now reports to be 5.0.65 (it even updated the text in the ini file to 5.0.65) and am just rebuinding the database now. It all seems to work well thus far; see post here for more details of how I did it.

Bri

patersom82
AV Hardware:PS3, DSM-520, Tera Station Home server

Post by patersom82 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:16 am

Dear all,

Thanks for your help with fixing TMS 5.0. I am *still* having a lot fo trouble with my installation.

Sorry to be a bit 'slow with linux', but I am trying to implement the dir link workaround suggested above by xbhsdx:
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... lic#p23015

I run the Buffalo TeraStation Home Server and use the Windows executable provided by Twonky to install TMS - apologies to all the linux gurus!

The software goes in:
/mnt/array1/share/twonky and various directories under that

My media is stored in:
/mnt/array1/share/media and various directories under that

Would someone be kind enough to walk me through step by step which links I need to set up and where best to install the software?

Thank you!