Connected Home/DLNA Best Practices

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Supermodel56
AV Hardware:Samsung LCD LN46B650
WD 2TB My Book World Edition 2
NetGear Dual band WNDR3700 Router
Re: Connected Home/DLNA Best Practices (Updated)

Post by Supermodel56 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:04 am

TMM_Product_Manager wrote:
DaemonBeetle wrote:
I followed information for an older version of Twonky (4) and added the following profile:
NA:Samsung HDTV
DD:Samsung HDTV
DB:Fix
XM:DNLA15
XM:DATETIME
XM:FORCE_DURATION
XM:FORCE_4TH_FIELD
HP:chunked
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts,avi,divx,mkv video/mpeg
MT:m4a audio/mp4
AV:no-m3uI've highlighted the lines that differ from the stock Samsung TV profile, no idea which of them did the trick. This now allows 1080p MKV files to be streamed to my Samsung.

I'll pass this on to the engineers in our Berlin office as well. Thanks for letting us know.

- Rick
I'm also interested in this - but how do I update this file on my Western Digital My Book World Edition 2TB? It's running Twonky 5.1, don't see any firmware updates or anything. Can't stream mkv's to my Samsung LN46B650, even though it works with a USB thumbdrive plugged directly into the TV. Getting filetype not supported error. Is this a Twonky issue?

Thanks!

jpmoriarty
AV Hardware:XBox 360, Western Digital My Book World Edition 2TB, Dlink router, BT Home Hub

Re: Connected Home/DLNA Best Practices

Post by jpmoriarty » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:59 pm

jpmoriarty wrote:
TMM_Product_Manager wrote: 11. Pre-rotate your pictures before you copy them to your shared folder. The easiest way to do this is view them by thumbnails and right-click on the photos that need to be rotated.
No, devices (i.e. Twonky) should recognise the "orientation" tag in the exif data, and interpret it accordingly. What's the point of having it if you're then going to have to rotate things anyway?
Is there any way of getting this as at least an option? It's crazy advice that people should be rotating photos. If you do then if the exif information is used (which it blooming well should be) then if you've pre-rotated then the photo will become over rotated.

Why, why, WHY can't DLNA recommend / see the sense in the exif rotation data being used? Everyone else uses it and it's a great innovation that virtually all cameras now will store it when taking the photo in the first place. PCs, macs will all recognise it and display photos accordingly. This approach is just lunacy.

And if it can't be in the DLNA standard, can't Twonky at least give the option in the server settings of following / applying exif rotation data?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:37 pm

What's the point of having it (the "orientation" tag in the exif data) if you're then going to have to rotate things anyway?
There are advantages to using the orientation tag if you have a client that can auto-rotate on the fly, because permanently rotating the original photo results in a loss of quality due to the recompression of the image.
It's crazy advice that people should be rotating photos. If you do then if the exif information is used (which it blooming well should be) then if you've pre-rotated then the photo will become over rotated.
Not necessarily.TMS sends photos to client hardware (or software) without modification. If a photo has the orientation tag set, we pass on this data to the client and it should rotate the photo on the fly. Some clients ignore the orientation tag, in this case, your only option is to manually rotate the image.

Even with clients that can rotate photos on the fly (using the orientation tag), there are still situations where you have manually rotate the image to get it to display properly. Sometimes the orientation tag is set incorrectly by auto import software. Other times it’s set incorrectly by the camera itself. In short, we’ve found it is often not reliable. That is why we handle this situation this way.
Why, why, WHY can't DLNA recommend / see the sense in the exif rotation data being used? Everyone else uses it and it's a great innovation that virtually all cameras now will store it when taking the photo in the first place. PCs, macs will all recognise it and display photos accordingly. This approach is just lunacy.
This is a good question. DLNA could recommend that EXIF rotation be taken into account when displaying a photo but it does not.

The bottom line is, you have brought up some very good issues. As a result, I plan to modify the photo section of the 'Best Practices' to give more information on this topic.

Thanks to Christian Gran for providing input on this answer.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

kenterfie
AV Hardware:Samsung 40B650
Buffalo Link Station Live

Post by kenterfie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:15 pm

Some new infos about the samsung progress? Its not realy difficult to get the offsets/filesize from mkv files, what is the problem at the moment?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:13 pm

We have done several things in TMS 5.1.3 and TMM 1.3.1 to improve streaming of MKV files on Samsung TVs. There is still an issue with REW/FF as you know.

The cause of this issue is the fact that Samsung TVs need to get the playtime of a file before it can support file seeking (REW/FF). Currently our file scanner is cannot extract playtime for MKV files. I plan to put in a request to add this, but do not when this will be done.

- Rick

Supermodel56

Post by Supermodel56 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:24 am

TMM_Product_Manager wrote:We have done several things in TMS 5.1.3 and TMM 1.3.1 to improve streaming of MKV files on Samsung TVs. There is still an issue with REW/FF as you know.

The cause of this issue is the fact that Samsung TVs need to get the playtime of a file before it can support file seeking (REW/FF). Currently our file scanner is cannot extract playtime for MKV files. I plan to put in a request to add this, but do not when this will be done.

- Rick
Awesome. Thanks Rick & team. Do you know when this update will be available for Western Digital World Book Edition II NAS drives? I can live without the REW/FF for now, would be happy to be able to at least play the mkv's.

jimpf
AV Hardware:PS3, Xbox360, Zyxel DMA1000, Freecom Musicpal

Post by jimpf » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:21 pm

Supermodel56 wrote:
TMM_Product_Manager wrote:We have done several things in TMS 5.1.3 and TMM 1.3.1 to improve streaming of MKV files on Samsung TVs. There is still an issue with REW/FF as you know.

- Rick
Awesome. Thanks Rick & team. Do you know when this update will be available for Western Digital World Book Edition II NAS drives? I can live without the REW/FF for now, would be happy to be able to at least play the mkv's.
Hi Supermodel56,

This is Jim from PacketVideo. I'm working with the Western Digital team. They are currently testing our 5.1.3 release internally and plan to release an update to their users in the near future, ... stay tuned.

--Jim

sriramk
AV Hardware:Samsung Series 8 LED TV
Mac OS X
TMS 5.1.3

Post by sriramk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi

I recently downloaded the TMS 5.1.3 for my DLNA setup with a Samsung LED Series 8 TV. I am using OS X and have all my media files in AVI format. I have the following problem with the AVI files

Fast forward and Rewind will work only for a few AVI files and I cannot get this functionality to work with the rest of the AVI files. Pause works for all these AVI files.

Is there any setting, I should check to enable FF and RW for all my AVI files? or Is there any specific requirement for an AVI file in TMS 5.1.3 to enable FF and RW? Please let me know your suggestions

Thanks,

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:35 pm

sriramk wrote: Is there any setting, I should check to enable FF and RW for all my AVI files? or Is there any specific requirement for an AVI file in TMS 5.1.3 to enable FF and RW?
AVI is a container format. The reason some AVI files play and some don't has to do with the codec that was used to encode those video files. Some codecs work with trick modes (e.g. FF/REW) on the embedded Samsung player and others don't. Samsung hasn't provided us with a list of which codecs work and which don't. Some users have found that changing the file extension (e.g. mpg) has helped in a few cases, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't help.

Hopefully future firmware updates for your TV will improve this.

- Rick

kenterfie
AV Hardware:Samsung 40B650
Buffalo Link Station Live

Post by kenterfie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Never ending story. When i could, i would pay my money back for twonky. The problem is established, but no fix for one of the biggest user group (samsung tv) is ready or announced. Its not a big deal to integrate mkv playtime, but nothing happens. I use now mini dlna on my nas and it works great. The next time i spend my money to a open source project with more support.

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:41 am

kenterfie wrote:Never ending story. When i could, i would pay my money back for twonky. The problem is established, but no fix for one of the biggest user group (samsung tv) is ready or announced. Its not a big deal to integrate mkv playtime, but nothing happens. I use now mini dlna on my nas and it works great. The next time i spend my money to a open source project with more support.
And you know it's "not a big deal" how? Have you written a DLNA server with full MKV support such that it's perfectly integrated with your personal choice of TV :roll:

ahchaugoh
AV Hardware:Samsung LED 7000
Synology 209
Windows 7 Ultimate

Post by ahchaugoh » Sat May 22, 2010 11:08 am

I found something strange with the srt display on my Samsung LED 7000
I have a mkv file and corresponding srt file (using same filename) store in my Synology 209 NAS and PC TwonkyServer share directory. Both are connect to my Samsung LED using DLNA.
However, Synology 209 NAS can display the subtitle while my Twonky Server can only stream the mkv but NOT the subtitle. Does anybody know any setting in the clients db is necessary for my Samsung TV. (I am using 5.14 and select Samsung TV as media receiver)

thanks

ahchaugoh
AV Hardware:Samsung LED 7000
Synology 209
Windows 7 Ultimate

Post by ahchaugoh » Sat May 22, 2010 12:20 pm

I eventually found the cause why my Samsung TV can show the subtitle when connect to Synology 209 but NOT the case in my PC Twonky server. The reason is that the subtitle file which located under the same PC share directory as the MKV file DID NOT appear during the DLNA connection. However, for Synology 209 case, both the mkv and srt files are appeared and Samsung TV can display the subtitle correctly.
I think the client db setting should have some modification which allow the srt files to appear together with the mkv files when the Samsung TV try to connect this folder.
Does anybody know how to set this?

much thanks

Supermodel56

Post by Supermodel56 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:27 pm

jimpf wrote:

- Rick
Hi Supermodel56,

This is Jim from PacketVideo. I'm working with the Western Digital team. They are currently testing our 5.1.3 release internally and plan to release an update to their users in the near future, ... stay tuned.

--Jim

Hi Rick/Jim -

Any status update on this? How about showing some love to those who actually appreciate your work? =) I still can't watch MKV's at all on my Samsung B650 through my Western Digital MBWE II Twonky Server... is the 5.1.3 release for WD ready yet?

Thanks,
SC

DaemonBeetle

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sat May 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Nothing up to, and including, 5.1.4 has the correct clients.db entry for the Samsung TV in my experience. The release candidate for 6.0 does however.
No longer running Twonky

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sun May 23, 2010 8:16 pm

New MKV fixes we're added just last week in TMS 5.1.5 and TMS 6.0. I've requested that 5.1.5 be posted here on the forum, but I don't know when that will occur. I would expect a new 6.0 update in the Beta section soon as well.

- Rick

DaemonBeetle

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sun May 23, 2010 9:18 pm

TMM_Product_Manager wrote:New MKV fixes we're added just last week in TMS 5.1.5 and TMS 6.0. I've requested that 5.1.5 be posted here on the forum, but I don't know when that will occur. I would expect a new 6.0 update in the Beta section soon as well.

- Rick
Good to hear - thanks!

(Now all I have to wish for is that I could post more than once a minute to this forum - I hate these anti-spam measures).
No longer running Twonky

gerhardm
AV Hardware:Linux Debian Server (4.0)
mit TwonkyMedia Server 5.1.2

Samsung LE32B653

Post by gerhardm » Fri May 28, 2010 12:04 am

hio,

i installed the trial version of 5.1.2 TMS on a Debian Linux 4.0 Server and connect from a Samsung LE32B653 via LAN.
Connect to the mediaserver works, i can switch to my movies and pictures but when i start playing a movie i get disconnected after about one minute.
I cant keep the connection longer than one minute.
After reading in many forums i tried various entrys in clients.db which didnt chance anything.

here my selected part of clients.db:
NA:Samsung LE32B653
HH:DLNADOC/1.50
XM:DLNA15
DB:AUTO
DL:MP4DLNA
MT:mkv video/MP4V-ES
MT:avi,divx video/x-divx
MT:mp4 video/MP4V-ES
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts,m2ts video/mpeg
MT:ogg audio/x-ogg
MT:flac audio/flag
MT:mp1,mp2,mp3 audio/mpeg
MT:mp3 audio/mp3

DaemonBeetle

Post by DaemonBeetle » Fri May 28, 2010 1:14 am

Try the following clients.db entry (as I've previously posted). It works with my B65x series TV from Twonky 5.1.x:

Code: Select all

>>
NA:Samsung HDTV
DD:Samsung DTV
HH:SamsungWiselinkPro
XM:DLNA15
DB:FIX
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts,avi,divx,mkv video/mpeg
MT:m4a audio/mp4
AV:no-m3u
Remember to select Samsung HDTV against the right client!
No longer running Twonky

gerhardm

Samsung LE32B653

Post by gerhardm » Fri May 28, 2010 11:33 am

Thank you very much DaemonBeetle for your fast answer!

i tried that settings, and selected it for the tv client in the web-ui.
but the connection still drops after one minute.

only other thing i found out is that i have many entrys like that in the logfile:

09:39:34:431 views_add_or_update_object(*ppObject,pOldObject) failed
File: ../../../server/common/upnp_database_items.c
Function: upnp_database_item_add_or_update_impl1
Line: 209

DaemonBeetle

Post by DaemonBeetle » Fri May 28, 2010 3:50 pm

I've had problems like that when:
  • I had IPv6 configured
  • I had an IP address configured that wasn't on the LAN
No longer running Twonky

gerhardm

Samsung LE32B653

Post by gerhardm » Sun May 30, 2010 12:33 pm

i deactivated any ipv6 configuration with no success.

maybe its cause i have 2 NICs in my server, one for internetconnect, one for internal network. and i dont want to change that.
if thats the problem i have to look for other solutions :(

to bad.

remco_t
AV Hardware:Samsung LE37B652 LCD TV | Samsung HT-Z212 Home Cinema Set | Home-built Windows Home Server PP2 with TMS 5.1.4 | TP Link TL-WR1043ND Gbit router

Post by remco_t » Sun May 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Anything resolved yet on the subtitle front? I'm using TMS 5.1.4 on Windows Home Server and everything works fine with my Samsung LE37B652 TV (even the dreaded MKV's), except for displaying subtitles. Playing from USB the srt subs work fine, but that's not why I bought TMS...

DaemonBeetle

Post by DaemonBeetle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:13 am

gerhardm wrote:i deactivated any ipv6 configuration with no success.

maybe its cause i have 2 NICs in my server, one for internetconnect, one for internal network. and i dont want to change that.
if thats the problem i have to look for other solutions :(

to bad.
If you bind Twonky to only one interface, does that help?
No longer running Twonky

DaemonBeetle

Post by DaemonBeetle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:49 am

TMM_Product_Manager wrote:New MKV fixes we're added just last week in TMS 5.1.5 and TMS 6.0. I've requested that 5.1.5 be posted here on the forum, but I don't know when that will occur. I would expect a new 6.0 update in the Beta section soon as well.

- Rick
Any news on when 5.1.5 will be published?
No longer running Twonky

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:46 pm

I just sent another request for this. Hopefully this will be done before Friday.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:56 pm

TwonkyServer 5.1.5 is now available for download here: http://bit.ly/9CKI4m

- Rick

DaemonBeetle

Post by DaemonBeetle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:47 pm

Thanks
No longer running Twonky

AV Hardware:Mac Pro, Macbook Pro: 10.6.3, ATV 3.0.1, Soundbridge, Noxon2,
Apple iPhone, iPad, Sony Bravia, FritzBox, Fritz!Media,
debianized LS-GL2, debianized TS-219P, XBMC, Boxee, SimplifyMedia

Post by 23646266 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:04 pm

How to determine the 'device url' twonkymediaserver sends to upnp devices?

I try to connect my ipad to two tms 6.0 rc4 servers.

I can connect plugplayer to tms on my debianized ls-gl2, but not to my debianized ts-219p.
I can't even add the qnap manually, as i cannot read the device url from the working server connection,
as the pp ui is so small.

Can I get/evaluate the device url by any other technique?
Hot to get the correct string for: http://<ip>/TM??????

greetz

=:-)f

KLR
AV Hardware:QNAP NAS 259 Pro
Samsung 55C8700 3D TV
Samsung BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray

Post by KLR » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:25 pm

Hi Guys,

Today I connected my new AV stuff and tried to make TwonkyMedia work with it. It sees the media (movies, photos and music) but get's disconnected after about 1 min. When I try it again I get the same problem.

Some specific info:

TV : Samsung EU55C8700 3D Led (DLNA certified)
Blu-ray : Samsung BD-C6900 3D (DLNA certified)
NAS : QNAP 259 Pro
Software version of TwonkyMedia on the NAS : 5.1.4-RC2

The TV and BluRay both have a Wireless connection and both get the disconnect problem. IP is assigned with DHCP and all are in the same subnet with the same gateway.

Any help is highly appreciated. If you need more info let me know.

Timmytiger
AV Hardware:WD My Book World Edition 1TB (running Twonky),
Iomega Home Media Drive 500 GB (running I do not know what),
Panasonic Blu-ray Player DMP-BD85.

Post by Timmytiger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Hello Rick,

I hope you can help as I have reached the end of the line. I am a (retired) IT professional so I have a method when I try to debug a situation, and I really do not know what to do now. I suspect there is an incompatibility between Twonky and my brand new and not inexpensive Panasonic Bluray player. This will be a long note but I hope you can make some suggestions or perhaps actually have a fix.
Equipment:
1. BluRay player Panasonic DMP-BD85, firmware upgraded, purchased in France at Saturn the big chain.
2. Network attached disk Iomega Home Media Drive, 500 GB, attached to my home ethernet. My network is spread over three buildings and from the location of the Iomega (plugged into the main gigabit switch) there are two other switches to traverse to get to the Panasonic.
3. Second network attached disk WD MyBook World Edition, recently purchased on the theory that my Iomega was not up to snuff. That is where I found Twonky. I do not know if Twonky is running on the Iomega.

Here are the scenarios I have found:
A. Connecting the Panasonic Player to the network and loading up my films in the Iomega, I can browse my network to see the list of films, but in the title list, neither the time the film was recorded nor the duration, is shown. When I click on a film to play, I get the terse message "Cannot play". I tested several of them burning them onto CDs and onto a USB stick on the theory that the formats were bad, but they play fine locally on the Panasonic.

B. On the theory that the network had too much latency caused by the cascade of 3 switches, I moved the Iomega to the cinema room and connected it to the same switch that the Panasonic is connected to. Same symptom. I can see the list of films, the Panasonic and the Iomega are talking DLNA sort of, but no film can be seen.

C. On the theory that the Iomega had lousy DLNA software, I downloaded a trial version of a DLNA server (I did not know about Twonky at the time) called "Mezzmo" installed it on my WinXP machine, which can see the Iomega as a network disk, and added the films there to the Mezzmo catalog. When I go back to the Panasonic, the films on the Mezzmo server are visible in the list, the time of saving and the play times are shown, but they cannot be played. A slightly different message comes up.

D. On the theory that there was a latency problem on the network caused by the Iomega being too slow, I moved a couple of films over to the Win XP server and bingo I could see them and play them. Once or twice. Now, I cannot. So that was not a definitive fix. In any case, my desire is not to have yet another Windows machine in this house which I will have to build and maintain to house my films. I want to use dumb-ass media servers if possible.

E. I talked to the people at the store, who badmouthed Iomega and told me to buy a WD which was sure to work better. I did, plugged it into the network, loaded up some films, and, drat, exactly the same symptom with Twonky software running on the WD.

So I am totally stuck. It is hard to believe that the Panasonic has lousy DLNA but who knows. My next step in this brute force approach is to bring the Panasonic back to the store and change to, I don't know, a Samsung, even though the sales guy said the Panasonic is alot better in terms of quality when reading disks. Obviously in all these tests I made sure the firmwares were at the latest releases.

My network is totally vanilla and although the cabling is Cat5 it is all new. The switches are of good quality. In any case the issue of latency does not seem to be the problem as the same exact symptom appears even when either the Iomega or the WD/Twonky are attached to the same switch as the Panasonic.

Do you have some ideas for me ? Is it possible that the Panasonic is not running a good DNLA client ? Other things I can try ? I have like 7 days to return all this equipment to Saturn and start over, so if I need to give up, please tell me. Before I got talked into the Bluray player with DLNA I used a very hokey little media player from Verbatim that read my files on the network just fine, but did not produce HDMI and of course no Bluray so I thought this was my chance to upgrade to a better future. Please help, and thank you in advance for you time.

Regards

Jon Cooper
Etretat, France

DaemonBeetle

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:47 am

You missed a few important details, and it would help if you created a fresh thread ;)

What version of Twonky did you try? Have you tried the current 6 series?

What format are the movies in (eg MKV files encoded with H.264/AAC)? What does the manual of the Panasonic say it plays via DLNA?

Finally, what Panasonic player are you using and have you checked that you're running the most current firmware?
No longer running Twonky

amunoz_tico
AV Hardware:Samsung UN46C7000 & BD-C6900 ¬ Sony PS3 & BPD-S370 ¬ Pioneer VSX-820-K ¬ Bose Acoustimass 15 ¬ Wii ¬ DLink DNS-323 & DIR-655 ¬ Monster HDP2400

Post by amunoz_tico » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 am

Dear friends,

I have a UN46C7000 model. I installed Twonky 6.0.1 on my PC and on my DNS-323. In both cases, I can't read the subtitles which are in .srt format. They have the same name of the movies

Could you give a hand with this issue? All the videos plays very well, my only problem is with the subtitles on DivX/Avi/Xvid files.

Regards!
Samsung UN46C7000, BD-C6900 & BD-D5500 ¬ Sony PS3 ¬ Pioneer VSX-820-K ¬ Bose Acoustimass 15 ¬ Wii ¬ DLink DNS-323 & DIR-655 ¬ Monster HDP2400

amunoz_tico
AV Hardware:Samsung UN46C7000 & BD-C6900 ¬ Sony PS3 & BPD-S370 ¬ Pioneer VSX-820-K ¬ Bose Acoustimass 15 ¬ Wii ¬ DLink DNS-323 & DIR-655 ¬ Monster HDP2400

Re: Connected Home/DLNA Best Practices

Post by amunoz_tico » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:01 am

Dear friends, Any news about this request?

TMM_Product_Manager wrote:
esmeralda2 wrote:
TMM_Product_Manager wrote:Jirka,

I'll forward your request to our engineers. Crossing fingers. :)

- Rick
Hi,
any news regarding subtitles with Samsung TVs??
regards
Jirka
No word yet. Right now everyone has a huge amount of work in their queue. I would not expect a solution to this in the next month or two.

- Rick
Samsung UN46C7000, BD-C6900 & BD-D5500 ¬ Sony PS3 ¬ Pioneer VSX-820-K ¬ Bose Acoustimass 15 ¬ Wii ¬ DLink DNS-323 & DIR-655 ¬ Monster HDP2400

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:49 pm

I've requested a status update on this for you. Since that Office is closed, we won't get an answer until tomorrow.

- Rick

sun
AV Hardware:western digital Worldbook running twonky media server 5.1 on linux
Xbox for display

Post by sun » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Hello,

I have an WD WorldBook with Twonky Media server 5.1. I want to see my home video on my xbox. I can see the video files listed in the Media browser, but they are not listed in the xbox. The xbox shows the directory structure, but not the video files. The file formats are m2ts, mkv.

Thank you for your assistance.
sun

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:35 pm

I suspect that Xbox is filtering those formats because they are unsupported. You have 3 options:

1. Try installing FFmpeg and transcoding to a format your Xbox supports like WMV. I'll warn you now that this is not that easy to do.

2. Convert your files to a format your Xbox supports

3. Purchase a low-cost media player that supports those formats. I think the WD TV Live plays those, but you should confirm that before buying.

- Rick

sun
AV Hardware:western digital Worldbook running twonky media server 5.1 on linux
Xbox for display

Post by sun » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:19 pm

Thank you!! I did try avi and it worked. I was thinking there was some issue with the media server. Glad to see the issue is not there.

-sun

pvtbanner
AV Hardware:WHS + Sony KDL-32EX403

Post by pvtbanner » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am

I have Windows Home Server running on a PC and a Sony KDL-32EX403
I downloaded TwonkyManager this evening (and bought the license)
added photo directory music directory and video directory

The tv seems to connect ok i can browse photos play music but having problems with videos.

These are mostly in avi format, but there is a ripped dvd which it seems to browse and play ok, when i browse to a folder with an avi in tv says there are no items to display.

I tried the webserver (http://rosie:9000/config) all the settings look ok to me except that the transcode check boxes are all greyed out. is this normal? are they needed for my tv to see the avi's?

all help appreciated thanks

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:58 am

I tried the webserver (http://rosie:9000/config) all the settings look ok to me except that the transcode check boxes are all greyed out. is this normal? are they needed for my tv to see the avi's?
It's normal for the transcode checkboxes to be grayed out if you haven't installed FFmpeg. Since Sony only plays a few video formats, you'll probably need to either transcode or use conversion software to convert your videos to MPEG-2 or another format which the TV plays.

- Rick

jacklazy
AV Hardware:giganas hd35 single bay

Post by jacklazy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:46 pm

hi guy,
i have a TV DLNA certified (Toshiba) ed TMS 5 on Giganas (mrt).
All work fine (music, photo and videos); TV accept ONLY video MPEG2 (pal/ntsc or TS)...great TMS, i like it.

I have a lot of files avi/dvix (on old HD external)...questions is: I NEED TRANSCODE EVERY OLD VIDEOS DIVX TO MPEG2 ??? :x
there is a possibility to transcode on fly ???

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:14 am

Yes, it's possible to transcode on the fly.

There's some info about this here:
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 714#p22749

- Rick

jacklazy
AV Hardware:giganas hd35 single bay

Post by jacklazy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:12 am

hi,
tnx for response.

i think that you are refering to title "Using TwonkyMedia with 3rd-party Transcoding Software"

easy...download ffmpeg.exe...but nas=linux and i'm finding difficulty to find ffmeg for linux (binaries).
I found a forum with instructions to install ffmpeg on linux (ubuntu)...i'm trying to do on my nas...as soon possible (i have a family, 2 childs, a job, ...)

do you think that if i can get the ffmpeg work on nas, the linux version of twonky could transcoded video files to mpeg2 ???

DaemonBeetle

Post by DaemonBeetle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:29 pm

Transcoding is CPU intensive - your NAS may not be able to keep up, but it will depend on the NAS, source media type and the type it's being transcoded to (in particular, the codecs being used).
No longer running Twonky

JimLill

Post by JimLill » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:06 pm

DaemonBeetle wrote:Transcoding is CPU intensive - your NAS may not be able to keep up, but it will depend on the NAS, source media type and the type it's being transcoded to (in particular, the codecs being used).
Is there some specific info someplace on how to do any kind of transcoding on a SLUG with TW 6.0.30 ?

DaemonBeetle

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:20 pm

There's lots of information in the forum on enabling transcoding. Check the files ending in .location in cgi-bin inside the Twonky install directory. Edit those and set the full path to the relevant executables (excluding the executable, just the directory) - I think you then have to restart Twonky.
No longer running Twonky

skyn3t
AV Hardware:Samsung LE40C650 and Buffalo NAS

Post by skyn3t » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:10 pm

hello all,

any news about the FF and rewind on the MKV's ?

ticket: MM-3441

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:07 pm

Sure. The last comment on this issue was June 30th. That probably means the so-called improvment won't appear until TS 7.0 is released in September. The reason I call it so-called is because the long answer below makes it sound like it doesn't completely fix this problem.

Short answer:
Work was done on this issue back in May and June. We believe we resolved this issue as best as we can.

Long answer:
The Twonky MKV scanner is now correctly extracting the duration from MKV files. But it seems that there is something else the Samsung TV needs for proper FF/FREW support.

Since FF/Rew works with the Samsung server we analyzed the communication between those two devices and tried to add the missing parts to Twonky.

1) The Samsung server uses this format to specify the duration "h.mm.ss", Twonky uses "h.mm.ss.xxx" (where xxx is ms)

2) When streaming a MKV from the Samsung server, the TV uses a proprietary mechanism to fetch the duration from the server. (Uses the http header "getMediaInfo.sec: 1" to request the duration using a HEAD request, the response contains a header field giving the duration in ms.)

We changed the format of the duration in Twonky and re-implemented the proprietary mechanism, but still FF/FREW does not work properly when streaming some MKV files from TwonkyServer to Samsung TVs. :(

From what we can see on the network, the TV doesn't even try to jump to a different location in the stream. We assume that for some reason the TV thinks Twonky cannot do byte seeks on these MKV files.

If anyone else has additional suggestions of things we can try let us know, otherwise we're out of ideas on this.

- Rick

IamHri
AV Hardware:QNAP 209II, DVICO 6500, Sony Bravia

Post by IamHri » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:22 am

1st try:
with twonky server 5.1 - that the receiver lists the interprets, but there are no titles available

2nd try:
with twonky server 6.034 - the Yamaha receiver could not list the interprets, only the standard items are available.

3rd try: :cry:
after installing twonky 4.4.17 it seems that everything is OK. The receiver recognizes interprets titles and so on.

But is there a possibility to upgrade to a higher version of twonky server (e.g. that versions which will come with the new firmwares), or is the version 4.4.17 the last one which will work.

I hope this is not the truth.

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

DaemonBeetle

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:36 am

lamHri, please start a fresh question in a relevant forum (I'm guessing TwonkyServer) and tell us all about the device you're using.
No longer running Twonky