4.4.x and Popcorn Hour A100 navigation

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
spe
AV Hardware:Synology 207+ NAS
Popcornhour A100
Hauppage MVP
4.4.x and Popcorn Hour A100 navigation

Post by spe » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:25 pm

I hope this is the right forum for this question. So apologies in advance if it isn't.

Does anyone know a workaround for a navigation failure when coming back up several levels of navigation tree after playing MP3 or MKV on the Popcorn Hour A-100?

Here's an example.

Switch the Twonky config to show music in "Advanced Default Navigation" view.
Use the Popcorn hour to navigate to Artist/Album.
Pick an artist where there is more than one album.
Pick an album and browse the files.

Now if you were to go back up you can navigate around to your hearts' content.

But if you play an mp3, even for a second, when it finishes you will only be able to go up one level before you receive a screen message "No content found on server".

Does anyone know how to get around this?

I appears to be the same with trees of more than two levels playing .mkv too.

I've tried setting Twonky to recognise the Popcorn Hour as a Syabas generic firmware, and various generic DLNA clients. There was no difference to behaviour.

I've tried Twonky MediaServer 4.4.4, 4.4.6, 4.4.9 and now 4.4.11. No differences there either.

Any suggestions?

mikle_01

Re: 4.4.x and Popcorn Hour A100 navigation

Post by mikle_01 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Your absolutely right here :wink:

Do you get the message still, if you chose "Standard navigation"!? Try custimized navigation?!

What ist your Twonkymedia OS-Version!? Win32, NAS (which)!?

Do you try all "Generic /CTT DLNA" Clients!?

Thought about to buy the Popcorn hour, too....technical features sounds great; playing really whole DVD's with menu (ifo-files) and MKV-files - provided and served via Twonky!?

Mikle
NAS: Synology DS211j 4TB with Twonky 6.0.31 "Kirkwood"- Clients: Philips Streamium NP2500, Sagem "My Dual 700", WD TV Live Gen.2 + Gen.3, - TV:Philips 42PFL8654

spe
Popcornhour A100
Hauppage MVP

Post by spe » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks for the reply Mikle.

The message is the same in any of the navigation options that have several layers to the tree. Some of the navigation options only have one layer for most elements. I chose the given example as its the easiest to configure and navigate without any changes on most clients.

Its having several layers to climb back up after playing something that matters.

The current Twonky version in use is 4.4.11, the OS host is a Synology DS207+ NAS device running firmware released last week. v731 I think.

I will try a trial installation of Twonky on a PC tonight to see if the host environment makes any difference.

The PCH is a brilliant unit but it does have some problems. Mostly because its perhaps too versatile.

Twonky doesn't serve .iso files. So I play these from SMB shares, I haven't tried .ifo. That's another thing to try tonight.

When playing .iso its just like inserting a DVD into a player with full navigation menus and all other features working perfectly. Watch out for disk space though, you'll need a lot to store the raw DVD rips.

MKV support, in fact support for all video formats, is truly excellent.

Its the PCH Music handling that is not so good, navigating huge UPnP item lists is done a page of 20-odd at a time. This is where Twonky comes in with its flexible views. Its also where this navigation bug is so annoying. <phew, I managed to get back on-topic right at the end>

mikle_01

Post by mikle_01 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi "spe",

I guess and be sure it's a matter of Client setting / recognition. The syabas (sigma chip) client couldnt chose explicit....that's true..

Either another (generic or what ever) setting could work or Twonky should fix this. Even because the Popcorn Hour is an excellent; hot and questioned device :wink:
NAS: Synology DS211j 4TB with Twonky 6.0.31 "Kirkwood"- Clients: Philips Streamium NP2500, Sagem "My Dual 700", WD TV Live Gen.2 + Gen.3, - TV:Philips 42PFL8654

spe
Popcornhour A100
Hauppage MVP

Post by spe » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 pm

I've loaded 4.4.11 on a PC now and have had the same results. It seems to be the advanced menus setting that causes the trouble. Altering the recognised type of the client doesn't make any difference.

Having said that I have only tried 6 so far, Genric and DLNA variants mostly. There are plenty more to go.

mikle_01

Post by mikle_01 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:08 am

@spe: Not sure, if I understand you...

You switched (and try) other navigation-trees with installation on your PC.

- Could you solve the problems with setting to "Simple default navigation"!?
- Did you try "Folder" navigation!? (Instead of "Artist/Album")? I prefer this...
- Detects Twonky the Popcorn Hour in any way!? (Shown in "Devices/Security" -> "Media Receivers" ) with the MAC!?

spe
Popcornhour A100
Hauppage MVP

Post by spe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:01 pm

mikle_01 wrote:@spe: Not sure, if I understand you...

You switched (and try) other navigation-trees with installation on your PC.

- Could you solve the problems with setting to "Simple default navigation"!?
- Did you try "Folder" navigation!? (Instead of "Artist/Album")? I prefer this...
- Detects Twonky the Popcorn Hour in any way!? (Shown in "Devices/Security" -> "Media Receivers" ) with the MAC!?
I switched to the PC as NAS installations are not supported by Twonky. Now I can ask direct support questions as the problem still exists on the PC.

I've tried the collection of standard navigation trees, and tried to configure a few custom config's of my own.

Simple Default navigation doesn't have many routes with more than two layers before you hit playable media. The problem is only found by trying to return back up the tree to the start after playing a file. After the second level of the return tree you get "no content found on server".

If you have artist/album view its something like this...from the initial music view you select album/artists and you see...

List of artists, for a given artist you see...
List of albums, for a given album you see...
List of playable files
Play a file, stop it or wait for it to complete - it makes no difference to what happens next.
return to List of playable files.
Press "return" to move to the List of albums
Press "return" to move to "no content found on server" -- oops!

I haven't tried folder navigation. I can do that using SMB.NFS from the PCH, I wouldn't need Twonky for folder use. As a result I've never tried using this Twonky view. I'll try it out sometime over the weekend.

Twonky detects the PCH as a Generic DLNA1.0 client.

It may be a bug in the PCH firmware, but its bl**dy annoying and someone needs to identify which end has the problem before it can be fixed.

Am I the only PCH owner on these forums? Isn't anyone else seeing this issue?