Where did the Custom Navigation Tree go?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
mattardo
AV Hardware:PS3
Where did the Custom Navigation Tree go?

Post by mattardo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:19 am

I am trying the trial of Twonky Media 5 on Vista and above, and I noticed there is no Custom Navigation options.
Am I missing an option here? I'll be honest: without the ability to choose Composer tags from the PS3 I might as well be using a free DLNA server.

So hopefully, it's an option I'm missing..anyone have any ideas?

k1200rs
AV Hardware:Does no longer attend this forum.

Re: Where did the Custom Navigation Tree go?

Post by k1200rs » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:52 pm

See this: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5947

I completely agree with you.
The custom tree / navigation menus were a differentiator vs. other UPNP media manager (WMP11, etc.).
You may want to post in above topic.

mattardo

Post by mattardo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:39 pm

So I guess I'm not crazy, then? It IS gone?
What would possess them to remove this feature? It's the only reason I could justify spending $40 on a Media Server. Not all of us listen to our music by Artist or Song or Genre.
I reccomended this Server to many of my friends because of it's Custom Navigation Menu, and it was a key factor in many of their purchasing decisions, despite it's high cost.

So why is it gone?

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi

Many have pointed this out and I believe they are going to release an xml file to replace the tree. Until this is available, I simply cannot use TMS5 and am thus keen to see it myself!

Bri

k1200rs

Post by k1200rs » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:59 pm

May I suggest you also make your remarks regarding the Custom Navigation Tree lost feature here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5947

I agree with you all, this is surreal, as said above it was a key feature of Twonkyvision server (as we used to call it...).

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:24 pm

k1200rs wrote:May I suggest you also make your remarks regarding the Custom Navigation Tree lost feature here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5947

I agree with you all, this is surreal, as said above it was a key feature of Twonkyvision server (as we used to call it...).
It's not that unusual, what some may see as a feature, others may have trouble getting to grips with. In the past MANY people had problems configuring, or even comprehending the custom menu structures. I suspect this is why they were removed, however a better plan would be to hide them away in a advanced menu, or have a basic/advanced mode for the UI.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi

Absolutely agreed! I think I suggested that in another part of the forum (a very discrete tick box, almost hidden) Maybe something like a white box with a white surround on a white background into which you put a white tick to enable the advanced features for us folks that desperately require them but prevent beginners from accidentally stumbling across it. Maybe they've done this already and I just can't see it :)

Bri

mattardo

Post by mattardo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:13 pm

Briain wrote:Hi

Absolutely agreed! I think I suggested that in another part of the forum (a very discrete tick box, almost hidden) Maybe something like a white box with a white surround on a white background into which you put a white tick to enable the advanced features for us folks that desperately require them but prevent beginners from accidentally stumbling across it. Maybe they've done this already and I just can't see it :)

Bri
I haven't found any hidden little boxes, and I searched for a long, long time!
Somethings so useful, I can't comprehend why it would be removed. I always figured that was part of the justification for the price. :?

k1200rs

Post by k1200rs » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:11 pm

mgillespie wrote:
It's not that unusual, what some may see as a feature, others may have trouble getting to grips with. .

Indeed, but as someone said somewhere else, this was a differentiator as the availability of the Twonkymedia server on NAS'. PV could have hidden this or make this available in a 'advanced config.'.

Do we know, BTW, if this was a feature people had difficulties to deal with?

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:06 pm

k1200rs wrote:
mgillespie wrote:
It's not that unusual, what some may see as a feature, others may have trouble getting to grips with. .

Indeed, but as someone said somewhere else, this was a differentiator as the availability of the Twonkymedia server on NAS'. PV could have hidden this or make this available in a 'advanced config.'.

Yes, it was number one problem in the 4.x and 3.x days.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

mattardo

Post by mattardo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:42 pm

mgillespie wrote:
k1200rs wrote:
mgillespie wrote:

Yes, it was number one problem in the 4.x and 3.x days.
How was this a problem? Users couldn't understand how it worked and just wanted something simple like every other server? That was the best part of Twonky, in my opinion. That's a shame..

mattardo

Post by mattardo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Any more news on this? Has Twonky come to their senses yet? :?