Media Server 5 - "iPod-like" sort-order defunct ?!

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
w7
Media Server 5 - "iPod-like" sort-order defunct ?!

Post by w7 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:03 pm

Recently upgraded my twonky media server 4 to media manager and media server 5. I shouldn't have tried to fix what wasn't broken, but now it is:

I can no longer get the iPod-like sort-order. I changed it through media manager and the web interface, restarted the server, etc - at no avail. I get Music, then Artist, then all tracks for this artist. I expect Artist, followed by Album(s).

This happens on three different control points (netgear mp101, popcornhour A-100, and a kodak picture frame). The library itself is OK, but I am also unsure if the streaming is OK.

Has anyone seen the same? Is there a cure? I guess the next thing to try is uninstalling all things twonky, and try my luck with version 4 again.

I tried to email support, but no response from twonky. :(

w7

Re: Media Server 5 - "iPod-like" sort-order defunct ?!

Post by w7 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:30 am

Reply to self:

Wrote the Media Manager license in the wind, uninstalled everything, re-installed version 4, and am happy again.
Lesson learnt (again): don't fix it if it ain't broke.

bump
AV Hardware:NA

Post by bump » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:02 pm

yes, the "ipod-like" sort-order is defunct in version 5.0.55

Example: On ipod of I browse by "Composer", and select a sepcific composerm I get "Album" as next level, then followed by the individual tracks - which makes a hellufalot of sense.

In Twonky, if I select a certain composer, I get all the tracks out of any albums of that composer (ie no distiction ba album) - which doesnt make sense at all.

Needs to be fixed by the folks in one of the next releases :wink:

bump

w7

Post by w7 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:47 am

bump wrote:yes, the "ipod-like" sort-order is defunct in version 5.0.55
Thanks for confirming. There appears little commitment from Twonky after the company was sold; too bad. Maybe Christian has left?

I am happy with the version 4 media server for now (luckily the downgrading worked), but have started looking for alternatives.

bump
AV Hardware:NA

Post by bump » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:57 am

w7 wrote: ..... but have started looking for alternatives.

Unfortunatly there is no real alternative if you want to run a upnp server on a NAS environment. So I'm stuck with these folks. Well, at least there seems to have been a change in attitudes to the positive just recently - lets see....

w7

Post by w7 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:31 am

bump wrote:Unfortunatly there is no real alternative if you want to run a upnp server on a NAS environment
I am not using NAS, but a Windows XP-based server. There's still no proper alternative as far as I am aware, but suggestions are welcome.