When can we expect some documentation?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
ejhh
AV Hardware:Kiss 1600
When can we expect some documentation?

Post by ejhh » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:05 pm

I purchased Twonkymedia some time ago and am disappointed to see that there continues to be NO documentation for this software.

I could perhaps understand if it was free software but I paid money for this. While I do have it working well on my Buffalo Linkstation Live NAS, I would like to explore some of the more advanced features but with no "Help" facility and no documentation I don't understand some of the configuration options.

Can we expect some documentation to be written?
Will it be this year or next?

Come on guys! Professional software should contain documentation.
Please let me know
thanks

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: When can we expect some documentation?

Post by mgillespie » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:54 pm

What specifically do you want documentation on?
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

bhalicki
AV Hardware:XBOX 360

Post by bhalicki » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:39 am

I agree, things like the following would be nice and probably avoid a lot of unnecessary trawling through forums and repeated questions:

- command line parameters
- location of configuration files
- format of configuration files

Im very new to Twonkymedia server and have only been trialing for a few days now. So far i've found it to be a great product that seems to do what I want. The only thing I really would like is some documentation.

Ben.

steamhead

Post by steamhead » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Yes I'd appreciate some more documentation too, especially given the reluctance to support NAS installs, I spent a lot of time recently poking around in the dark getting it working. Eventually I did, but it would have been much quicker with some good doc.

I'd like to see -
> Any command line arguments to start or communicate with the server
> All the ini file settings and what they should be used for
> XML tree documentation (I know we have that separately already, just want to make sure we don't lose it)
> Advanced configuration such as Transcoding and making things behave differently for different clients

I really believe Twonky is a great product and CAN do a great many things if only you can figure out how ;-)

glotzi

Post by glotzi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:29 am

bhalicki wrote:I agree, things like the following would be nice and probably avoid a lot of unnecessary trawling through forums and repeated questions:

- command line parameters
- location of configuration files
- format of configuration files
Full ack, this is the minimum of docu which should be available