WMP11 lists twonky 4.4 server but not 5.0 server

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
jrj
AV Hardware:Vista PC
DNS323
DSM510
PS-3
WMP11 lists twonky 4.4 server but not 5.0 server

Post by jrj » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:56 pm

This issue is related to one that led me to Twonky in the 1st place. I had the native DNS323 server running but I could never get the server to show up on my Vista WMP11 library page. To be clear, I can see other media servers, and the NAS still has open access rights to sharing.
I installed 4.4.x and the server was listed just fine, but I needed the new playlist features of 5.x, so I upgraded to 5.0.65.
The server no longer appears in my library page, but does appear in my network view.

It seems WMP11 requires a user name associated with the server eg:
If it appears on the network view as "USER-PC:User" , then it shows up on the libray page as "User on USER-PC"
If it appears on the network view as "[LOCALCOMPNAME]Twonkymedia" , then it shows up on the libray page as "[LOCALCOMPNAME]Twonkymedia"
The 5.x server appears on the network view as "Twonky -DNS-323" , and it does not appear on the library page.

I'm sorry, I can't correctly recall the way the 4.x server appeared on the network, but it did appear to have a user name and server name.

What am I missing?

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Re: WMP11 lists twonky 4.4 server but not 5.0 server

Post by Briain » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi

Do you just mean the media server name? If so, that's set in the config page (your.nas.ip.address:9000/config) under first steps. Just type in the name you wish to call it and hit the save changes button (I think you are then prompted to restart the server).

Bri

jrj
DNS323
DSM510
PS-3

Post by jrj » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:16 pm

No, I'm OK with the default server name. I renistalled 4.4.17 to show what I mean

Here's the screenshots of the DNS323 running 5.0.65
Twonky.jpg
WMP and Network view Twonky 5
Twonky.jpg (55.89KiB)Viewed 6516 times

Heres tthe same server on the same computer running 4.4.17
twonky4.jpg
Twonky 4 in WMP & Network view
twonky4.jpg (68.35KiB)Viewed 6516 times
Notice the difference in the name format in network view?

jrj
DNS323
DSM510
PS-3

Post by jrj » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:05 pm

No reply for several days. I'm guessing you can't view my uploaded images. I will try to explain:

The TMS 4 server appears in network view as "Twonky DNS-232 <newline>PVConnect:Windows Medi..." and appears in WMP11 Library view as "PVConnect on Twonky DNS-232"
The TMS5 server appears in network view as "Twonky DNS-232" and cannot be made to appear in WMP11 library.

NB: In both cases the configuration page name for the server is "Twonky DNS-232".

If it wasn't for this difference between the two versions I would be pursuing WMP11 and Windows settings. It seems that since the TMS5 server has no owner or user credentials embedded in its broadcast that WMP11 ignores it.

I can access the TMS5 server using TMM1.2, but access is brutally slow, and anyway I don't want to buy TMM for every PC when WMP should be an acceptable client for all my other PCs

Randy

jrj
DNS323
DSM510
PS-3

Post by jrj » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:57 pm

I think I have found my own solution to this one;

If my PC has both WMP11 and TMM on it, when I go to the media recievers web page on the server. ( in this case the DNS323), I have to set the reciever type to "Windows Media Player" for WMP11 to see the server. Unfortunately that messes up the TMM player :( . I think the server eventually resets the reciever type to Twonky again and I lose it on WMP. I took TMM off and set the reciever type to WMP and away it goes. :D
So it seems WMP cannot see a TMS set to "generic" or "Twonky" in the recievers page. I think TMM on the same PC can't see the TMS server if it is set to WMP either.