What to RIP DVDs to?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
presence
AV Hardware:PS3, Xbox360, xbox, 2xHR21, 1 hava monsoon, 1 slingbox, denon AVR-3808ci many others.
What to RIP DVDs to?

Post by presence » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:05 pm

I have a QNAP TS-639 NAS with 5.8TB of raid 6 storage. I want to basically rip and place my entire DVD library (close to 500 DVDs) and place it on the NAS. I know how to configure the NAS, and think I have twonky all set up to share (it works with the ps3 and xbox360). The problem is, it doesn't appear that twonky supports playing ISO files. In fact, it doesn't even show directories after a scan that contain ISO files (because I suspect it doesn't support them). So, here are a few questions:

1) How do I rip the discs into a single file format that twonkymedia server likes? I don't want to compress or convert, just straight rips from the DVD. I don't want to rip into multiple VOBs because the kids won't always know which one to play. I don't want to have to merge the vobs because it takes forever. This is the same reason I don't convert. I just want a single file format that I can name the title of the movie so its easy to find and reference.

2) How do I rip and get a program to automatically select Genre, Director, (Whatever classification, genre alone would probably be enough maybe from IMDB)? I don't see a way to classify in twonky itself. I don't think movies support ID3 tags...I want it to show a screenshot of the movie title to show while browsing so my 6 year old has an easy time finding the movie he wants to watch. Right now I have created my own subdirs on the NAS and I throw the movies in their appropriate spot, but this still doesn't show the video as a tumbnail, and will be cumbersome long term.

My intent is to use the PS3 as the primary playback medium, since it supports many formats.

chiman414
AV Hardware:n/a

Looking at building my own home server for purposes of backup and dvd library storage.

Re: What to RIP DVDs to?

Post by chiman414 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:22 pm

did you ever figure this out?

I'm in the process of building a homeserver, pretty much to do exactly what you described, also with the backups and all that good stuff...and i was looking into twonky...the digital downloaded media i'm not too concerned about, i'm more interested in how it handles dvds...

-raj

sdh68k
AV Hardware:Windows Home Server
PS3

Post by sdh68k » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:38 am

I have ripped my collection of DVDs using DVD Decrypter (I'm sure there is other software that will also work) without re-encoding. The software removes the DRM (you won't be able to use the DVD files on a protected disc unless you do this) and allows you to re-write the file as a single VOB (see IFO mode). You will need to pick an audio format because when I last checked the PS3 won't allow you to switch between, say, a stereo mix and Dolby Digital 5.1 encoded into the file.

I rip my DVDs using this method (I always pick the best audio format when doing this) and they play off my Windows Home Server to my PS3 (using Twonky) just fine.

Hope this helps.

fero
AV Hardware:Dlink NAS DNS-323
Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500

Post by fero » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:00 pm

Hello,

I suggest you to rip DVDs to MPEG-PS format (compatible with Sony PS3 or Sony Bravia TV).

If you also prefer Linux, I use and recommend the following tool:
http://code.flexion.org/DVD-to-MPG.html

Best regards

Frantisek