5.1 on Synology

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
john.glasson
AV Hardware:Server: Western Digital My Book World Edition White Light
Clients: Zyxel DMA1000, Philips Streamium 1100, Netgear MP101, Pocket Player on WM5 PDA
5.1 on Synology

Post by john.glasson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:46 am

Seems that we Synology owners have a problem with Twonky Server 5.1 final release - the install script doesn't work correctly on any Synology boxes?

I've looked at the distribution for my NAS (DS 101j) but am unsure how it works. Unlike other Twonky distributions, there is no 'twonkymedia.sh' file. Instead the start-up file 'rc.local' just does a cd to '/volume1/public/twonkymedia' and then executes 'twonkymedia'. Not sure where it gets its configuration data from?

Is there anyone out there who knows the details of the Synology distribution, who could share this and/or update the distribution/

John Glasson

john.glasson
Clients: Zyxel DMA1000, Philips Streamium 1100, Netgear MP101, Pocket Player on WM5 PDA

Re: 5.1 on Synology

Post by john.glasson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:54 am

Further thoughts....

Seems strange that the only files in /volume1/public/twonkymedia are:
- twonkymedia
- twonkymediaserver
- twonkymedia-config.html
- twonkymedia-config1.html

There are no configuration files such as twonkymedia-server.ini and data.dir - these end up in /var/twonkymedia along with the database. Doesn't seem logical to have files which tell Twonky where to find the data, in the data directory? In my XP configuration, these files appear in both directories (C:\Program Files\TwonkyMedia and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TwonkyMedia). This also seems illogical but at least it works!

Does Twonky provide any documentation on the correct setup, and the purpose of the different files?

John Glasson

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:01 am

The -appdata commandline option tells it where to look for the INI file and database.

If it's storing the database in /var and that's in the Synologys flash, then that is why it's not working. the database needs to be relocated to a larger read/write storage medium (HDD).

On my SheevaPlug, I have my -appdata on /usb/twonkymedia, and it stores EVERYTHING there (INI and all the databases).

Can you not just change the entry in rc.local to: twonkymedia -appdata /usb/twonkymedia (or whereever your HDD is mounted?)
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

john.glasson

Post by john.glasson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks, Mark. That works fine in terms on moving the database to somewhere sensible, but it doesn't solve the problem.

If I start the server in the foreground, I get the error messages...

inotify not ok on /volume1/public/twonkymedia/db/twonkymedia-server-uploaded-vid eos, goto end.
inotify not ok on /volume1/Music, goto end.

Any ideas on why this should be?

John Glasson

john.glasson

Post by john.glasson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Trying Logging. I've done this by amending rc.local ro run twonkymediaserver (instead of starting twonkymedia, which doesn't recognise the -v switch). I'm not sure of the implications of doing this, though it seemed to run ok.

The log shows the following errors:

[Error] - LOG_HTTP: HTTP_open: Failed to connect to ip=127.0.0.1 on port=9030
Error creating mediafusion user name
LOG_DB:db_createobject_add_to_db_persistent - no matching location for /volume1/Music/Verdi- Requiem/11.wma
dbx_queue_add - pQ->pQueue == NULL

For the 3rd error, I don't understand 'no matching location for...' - /volume1/Music/Verdi- Requiem/11.wma certainly exists.

Any feedback gratefully received!

John Glasson

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:33 pm

TwonkyMedia is a "master" process that runs TwonkyMediaServer. When you click restart, TwonkyMediaService quits and TwonkyMedia restarts the "clild" Server process. Think of it as a watchdog service, if it fails, twonkymedia restarts it, if it needs a restart because of a config change, it restarts it.

By executing TwonkyMediaServer, i suspect when you click Restart, it just terminates the service.

As for inotify, does the kernel and filesystem in synology support inotify API? If not, then it should be normal to see these messages.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

john.glasson

Post by john.glasson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:46 pm

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think so. The Synology forum shows comments on its absence back in 2007 but nothing more recent.

John Glasson

clementlo
AV Hardware:Synology 101G+, PlayStation 3

Post by clementlo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:19 pm

Okay so I have a Synology DS101G+.. I was running Version 4.4.11 before I tried 5.1... It will install, run... but won't scan...

So before I thinking of going back to 4.4.11; I notices they actually have 4.4.18...

So I tried 4.4.18, no problem, installed, scan, ran fine... for a day. Next day I got up... My Synology is dead! Just like what happen to Version 5.0.68... I can't access to any of my map drives... It won't let me log into my server on port 5000... It is dead!

I need to reformat my harddrive.. just like version 5.0!

This is screwed up!... The only working version for my Synology is Version 4.4.11... All the versions after that are DOA!

john.glasson

Post by john.glasson » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:04 am

clementlo,

I don't think there's any issue with 4.4.15 or 4.4.18 - I've run them both on my DS 101j for a long time (currently on 4.4.18 and very happy it).

The only problem I've had with Twonky messing up my Synology is after running 5.0.x. As you may know, 5.0 holds its database in a (ridiculous!) structure of thousands of sub-directories. When you uninstall 5.0 it fails to remove these properly. Though my Synology never died completely, it ran slower and slower and slower...... When I eventually removed this directory, it took about 10 hours for the "rm -r /var/twonkymedia " command to run to completion. Even on a fairly fast PC it takes forever to remove the database (I have about 5,500 tracks).

I had eventually to reload the Synology firmware. If your box is dead I guess you can't do this; but if you put the disk into a USD caddy, maybe you could check that the old database is deleted? See also http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 7de116b210.

John Glasson

mikle_01

Post by mikle_01 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:08 am

john.glasson wrote:clementlo,

I don't think there's any issue with 4.4.15 or 4.4.18 - I've run them both on my DS 101j for a long time (currently on 4.4.18 and very happy it)......

....I had eventually to reload the Synology firmware. If your box is dead I guess you can't do this; but if you put the disk into a USD caddy, maybe you could check that the old database is deleted? See also http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 7de116b210.

John Glasson

John,

I tried the 5.1 on my DS 107+ and this time (unlike the las 5.x builds) it could install and it's running, but scanning didn't work flawless and takes mostly 90% of CPU!!.

As you wrote about the total malefunction and breakdown after install the 5.x of my DS 107 (and different modells) I was very afraid of installing this time and it seems that I have more luck this time :lol:

The last time I've to reload the Synology firmware (first save/copy 1TB to my PC after copy back - it tooks hours!!!), so thanks for the tip with the Synology Forum....
NAS: Synology DS211j 4TB with Twonky 6.0.31 "Kirkwood"- Clients: Philips Streamium NP2500, Sagem "My Dual 700", WD TV Live Gen.2 + Gen.3, - TV:Philips 42PFL8654

jeff_porter
AV Hardware:DS107, SLM5500

Post by jeff_porter » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:38 am

I too installed 5.1 on my DS107e.

It installed ok.

It said it was indexing, but nothing actually got added to the count of photo/video/music.

After 10 hours it was running very very slow, I looked at the disk and it was 100% full.
Which meant I couldn't log into the admin webpage on port 5000.
Thankfully I had SSH/Telnet enabled, so I telneted in, went to directory /var/video/
In there I found 100,000,000 files named like "twonkymedia.core.12345".
I removed all these files (rm *core*) and the box came back to life.
(if you get the message too many files, then you will have to delete a chunk at a time, e.g. "rm *core.1*", "rm *core.2*", "rm *core.3*" etc.)
I also deleted the log file from the /tmp drive. (rm /tmp/Twonky*) since this drive was also at 100%.
At least this way you dont have to rebuild the disk.
Also I killed the twonky process via 'kill twonkymedia' and moved the startup file to a new name to stop it running again, via..."mv /volume1/public/twonkymedia/twonkymediaserver /volume1/public/twonkymedia/twonkymediaserverX"
I couldnt find the rc.d script that starts it, anyone any ideas?

As for why nothing is indexed, or what causes the 'core' dumps, I've no idea. But I did see port 9030 mentioned in the log file.
So I'll look at that tonight.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!! :D

Clara_Clever
AV Hardware:Synology DS106e DSM 2.0 731
DLink DSM520 1.06
DLink DSM320 1.09
Freecom MusicPal 1.59d

Post by Clara_Clever » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:43 pm

Same thing on my DS-106e

The installation of 5.1 on my DS-106e was ok, twonky was reachable on IP-Adress:9000
Every 10 seconds, Twonky 5.1 produced a coredump (with or without -appdata or -inifile parameters)
If i added at least one mediafile, twonky wasn't reachable on IP-Adress:9000 anymore
With an empty DB and deleted coredump-Files, Twonky was working again but still producing coredumps

john.glasson

New build 5.1.1 on Synology

Post by john.glasson » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 am

I see there's now a new twonkymedia build v 5.1.1.

But it does not run on my DS 101j. It looks for a more recent version of the C++ library than Synology have released for my hardware. Maybe newer Synology boxes will be ok.

John Glasson

john.glasson

New build 5.1.1 on Synology

Post by john.glasson » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:06 am

Has any Synology user had any success with 5.1.1?

It won't run on my DS-101j - it requires a newer version of libstdc++ than the 101j (no longer supported) provides. But I wonder whether newer Synology NAS can run 5.1.1 successfully? Feedback needed!

John Glasson

john.glasson

Post by john.glasson » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:55 am

See new build 5.1.1 RC3 which includes special trial version for PPC based Synology NAS (see http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... y_NAS_have for list of Synology processors).

My DS-101j with Intel XScale FW IXP420 BB ARM Processor exhibits the same problems as outlined in the note, so hopefully PV will release a modified build for this too.

Note to PPC based Synology owners: if you could update me on any success you have with the new modified version, I will include this in my "Status of twonkymediaserver on NAS" web site at http://www.glasson.hostecs.net/

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:50 am

john.glasson wrote: "Status of twonkymediaserver on NAS" web site at http://www.glasson.hostecs.net/
Marvell Sheevaplug has been working flawlessly on 4.4.18, 5.0.68, 5.1, 5.1.1RC2, 5.1.1RC3 if you want to add that to the list.