x64 Debian Support

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
robtrapp
AV Hardware:debian lenny x64
x64 Debian Support

Post by robtrapp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi Guys,

i'm new here in this forum.

I want to use the twonkey server on my debian x64 system.
My question is now is there a release of the 5.1 for x64 system.
In the download section i can only find i386 version?

@ Support Team
Is there any planning for a x64 release?

Thanks and Best regards Robert

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: x64 Debian Support

Post by mgillespie » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:23 am

You can use the i386 version just fine, you need to ensure you have the ia32-libs package installed thou..

Code: Select all

apt-get install ia32-libs
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

robtrapp
AV Hardware:debian lenny x64

Post by robtrapp » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks for that hint,

It works fine.

But will it not be better to get a native support for x64.

Thanks Robs

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Well my understanding is when applications are compiled for 64bit, their memory usage vastly increases (due to the extended memory addressing and thus more bytes required to store pointer addresses) along with the binary size of the application on disk. For an application that can reap the benefits of 64bit addressing, like large number crunching, image manipulation, encoding and such, 64bit is great and it's worth sacrificing the extra memory that 64bit applications use, however for apps that don't need it, then it's just wasted memory, all the downsides of 64bitness, without any benefits. I believe Twonky falls into this later category.. Twonky has always been very efficient with it's memory use and going 64bit unnecessarily, would go against that ethos..

That said, I have no idea if 64bit versions are in the works, so don't take my ramblings as confirmation either way, it's just an opinion!!!
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.