Twonky Music reports "Trial license expired"

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
heiko
AV Hardware:Roku Soundbridge M1001
Noxon 2
Sony CPF IX001
Twonky Music reports "Trial license expired"

Post by heiko » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:05 pm

I'm using TwonkyMusic now for a long time (Version 4.1). I need this old version, because this is the last version which brings my server correct to standby. Newer versions don't work with the standby - the server stays active all the time.
My problem: a few month ago the server reported a "Trial license expired" to the clients and the configuration-website reports a missing internet-connection and aks for manual activation.
But: the server uses a full license since the first installation without any changes.
In the last time this errors occurs more often - mainly on sundays when kids want to hear their music :-(
Entering the license code doesn't help, only waiting helps. Most time the error disappears automatically and the server works again.

Seems as the server needs a validation from twonky to work and if the twonky-server isn't available, the twonky-music-server stopps working.

Is there any way around this problem?
If not i'll use a free UPNP-server in future, that's less stress with the kids :-)

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Twonky Music reports "Trial license expired"

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:27 am

Contrary to popular belief, Twonky Server does not need to have an Internet connection to operate. Nor does it need to phone home to run. There was an issue the week before last that occured over the weekend due to a programmer error. The error was corrected within minutes from the time it was reported to the programmer, unfortunately due to the 9 hour time zone difference between Europe and the States, some users were unable to use their servers and we're very sorry about that. We're putting a new process in place that will make it extremely unlikely this will every happen again in the future.

All Twonky Servers should now run fine. All users have to do is reboot their TwonkyMedia products. If you anyone is still having license-related issues, send an e-mail to accounting via this link and it will be promptly resolved. http://www.twonkymedia.com/ContactUs.aspx

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

heiko
Noxon 2
Sony CPF IX001

Post by heiko » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:02 pm

I've rebooted several times - no success. At the last occurences of this problem it disappered after reboot - but not actually. Server is now down for 6 days - grrr.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:59 pm

For off, I told you how to fix this problem one day after you originally posted about it here on the forum, so I don't know where your 6 day comment comes from.

If you can send your license key and e-mail to me at tmm-beta@pv.com, we should be able to get you up and running today.

- Rick

heiko
Noxon 2
Sony CPF IX001

Post by heiko » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:43 pm

>For off, I told you how to fix this problem one day after you originally posted about it here on the forum, so I don't know where your 6 day comment comes from.

It comes from trying to do what you've posted ("All users have to do is reboot their TwonkyMedia products"). This is what i've done on sunday (before posting on monday) and every day until my 6-days-posting. At the last two failures of the server (with the same problem), this helped, but not actually.

I've send you a email with my license code. I would not have a problem if this would be the first occurence of this problem ...

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:49 pm

I sent your key off to someone to research this issue. He normally gets back within a day. I'll contact you as soon as I have a response. Thanks for your patience.

- Rick

heiko
Noxon 2
Sony CPF IX001

Post by heiko » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:47 pm

News reported to the support-team, but no answer yet (for 7 days now):
- Upgrade to TwonkyMedia 5.0.68 works, but: standby-behaviour is different (server shuts down at standby -> invisible for the clients -> no wakeup from standby)
- TwonkyMusic 4.01 runs until the server gets contact to the twonkyvision-server. Seems as the server invalidates my key

For now i've blocked the twonkyvision-server with my firewall, but i would prefer to get my key working or a new key.
It's a pity that the support doesn't respond any more - i've paied money for the key and can't use it!
As far as i can see it shouldn't be a big effort to check the license server and to report my key as "ok".

Hope to hear any good news in the near future - merry christmas!

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:27 pm

We are unaware of any current problems with the license server.

We're encouraging all TMS users to upgrade from 5.0.68 to 5.1.2. If you still experience issues with 5.1.2, please send mail to tmm-beta@pv.com.

- Rick

heiko
Noxon 2
Sony CPF IX001

Post by heiko » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:58 pm

Sorry, but you misunterstood me - not the license-server itself has a general problem, but the answer of the server regarding my key.
How else can i interpret that Twonky stopps working as soon as it gets contact to the Twonky-Licenseserver?
The only answer can be, that it gets a negative answer from the server, which means that my key is marked as not valid.

But: I've payed for my key and never gave it to anybody else nor do i have installed it twice or anything similar.
Once a day the server stopped working and this is true unless today.

As written before, i don't have a problem with Twonky Media 5.X itself, but with it's standby-behaviour which isn't buggy, but different to older Twonky Music itself. 5.1.12 still doesn't has the standy-behaviour TW-music 4.01.

I like my old Twonky Music, because it does everything i'd like (e.g. configurable menu-structure, optimal browsing with Roku). Twonky Media 5.x not.

The current situation is:
- the license server reports my 4.x.-key as invalid
- the twonkyvision-site doesn't know my registered email-address anymore
- a change of the email-address isn't possible too (->"* Please enter a valid old email address. Please enter an old email address. The old email address you've provided is invalid.").

The only thing i'll want, is to get my 4.x key working again or get a new working key for 4.x - nothing more.

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:27 pm

Sorry for the confusion Heiko. This should be simple to fix. Just request that we swap out your old 4.x key for a new one.

How to do this:
1. Click on http://www.twonkymedia.com/ContactUs.aspx
2. Select Twonky Accounting support from the menu next to: What would you like to contact us about:
3. Make sure to include the e-mail address you used to purchase your license key
4. Cut and paste your latest e-mail into the Comments box.

If you don't get a response within 48 hours, please e-mail me at tmm.beta@pv.com. Thanks.

- Rick

bump
AV Hardware:NA

Post by bump » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:35 pm

I have the same issue with my license not working after upgrade from 5.0.68 to 5.1.2

I mailed support, hope to hear back soon...

-bump

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:07 am

If you don't hear back soon, please mail me. Thanks.

- Rick