Is TwonkyMedia Server V5.x largely inferior to V4.x?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
STurtle
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-219p with TMS
Is TwonkyMedia Server V5.x largely inferior to V4.x?

Post by STurtle » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:16 pm

The next firmware update for my NAS-box was announced to include TwonkyMedia Server v5.x

However, there are quite many voices that claim that v5.x is largely inferior to v4.x, e.g. by
  • not having a customizable tree structure any more
  • not working with the WD TV Live streamer any more (that I happen to own)
Again, the lack of a manual or release notes of v5.0 as compared with v4.x makes it hard to judge these rumours. So is there any truth to it?

Are there any advantages?

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Is TwonkyMedia Server V5.x largely inferior to V4.x?

Post by mgillespie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:53 am

I think not. I replaced my 4.x with 5.x some time ago as my production server and don't see any issues. There are some good additions, mediafusion, performance, server playlists, ability to set different navigation trees for different clients, transcoding architecture.

I'm sure there are other benefits, but those are the ones that spring to mind.

Personally, the only current functionality regression is the removal of the features that fixed title names (sorted out the case, and ignored the "the").
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

san
AV Hardware:WD My Worldbook (WhiteLight Edition)

Post by san » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:09 am

As you probably yet know, the 5.x release not support play/pause function on DLNA with samsung TV,
for the rest i agree with mgillespie
Sante

STurtle
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-219p with TMS

Post by STurtle » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:26 am

san wrote:As you probably yet know, ....
No, I don't. I actually have very little knowledge about these things, as I just bought my NAS for an entirely different reason. When I learnt that it has this DLNA/TwonkyServer built-in, I thought I might as well invest £99 for an WD TV Live, which I am now experimenting with since a week. So I am a total noob. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I will upgrade the firmware to improve the NAS, so there is no question there.

What I would like to know though, is whether it is worth the trouble to setup the TwonkyServer now or whether I need to wait.

E.g.:
  • Do I still need to rename all my music album art to "folder.jpg" for v.5x?
  • How does tagging pictures work? For v4.x, an old SQLite database (built by DigiKam V3 application) seems to be interpreted, but the database of DigiKam V4 seems to be ignored. So will there be improvements for TwonkyServer v5.x in that respect or is it worth the trouble to downgrade DigiKam?
I am also quite worried about forum reports that v5.x won't work with the WD TV Live anymore. :( I guess in that case I just stream from SAMBA-folder shares instead, until there is a fix.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:12 pm

As you probably yet know, the 5.x release not support play/pause function on DLNA with samsung TV,
for the rest i agree with mgillespie
Sante
This issue has been fixed. The fix will appear in the final release of 5.1.1. The fix is NOT in the RC releases of 5.1.1 in the beta section currently.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/