How do I configure Transcoding in TwonkyMedia Server 5.1?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
nuspieds
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-509 Pro
How do I configure Transcoding in TwonkyMedia Server 5.1?

Post by nuspieds » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:29 am

Hello,

I have a QNAP TS-509 Pro and I just upgraded the firmware, which included TwonkyMedia Server 5.1.

On the Transcoding setup page, however, the only Background trancoding option selectable is "Rescale and convert pictures to JPEG".

Under "Transcode music to:" and "Transcode videos to:" all the checkboxes are disabled..

I read some other threads so I installed ffmpeg on my TS-509 (via ipkg install ffmpeg).

So now what? How can I get the transcoding to work with TM Server 5.1?

Thanks!

Mandibela
AV Hardware:Ubuntu 9.10, Sony Bravia 40Z5500, MacBook 10.4.11, Nokia N810, N900, Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista Business, Windows 7 conneceted via Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station

Re: How do I configure Transcoding in TwonkyMedia Server 5.1?

Post by Mandibela » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:12 pm

I'd like to get transcoding to work on 5.1.1 and Ubuntu 9.10. The guides that I found here are either for windows only or are missing information/files/proper instructions.

Mandibela
AV Hardware:Ubuntu 9.10, Sony Bravia 40Z5500, MacBook 10.4.11, Nokia N810, N900, Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista Business, Windows 7 conneceted via Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station

Post by Mandibela » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Mandibela wrote:I'd like to get transcoding to work on 5.1.1 and Ubuntu 9.10. The guides that I found here are either for windows only or are missing information/files/proper instructions.
Oh yeah. Got it.

1. Check that ffmpeg is installed. It probably is.

2. edit /usr/local/twonkymedia/cgi-bin/ffmpeg.location so that it says instead of c:/ffmpeg /usr/bin

3. Restart server.

4. Go to the server Maintenance via the web interface and check the appropriate video boxes?

5. Save settings... and that's about how far I got just now.

- - - - -

6. Look into the cgi-bin -folder for .location -files. I found atleast vlc, mplayer, convert that I have on my machin. I edited the appropriate .location files to reflect the actual locations for the apps and I think that everything is much better now.

duschi
AV Hardware:Samsung LCD B650, Twonky Media

Post by duschi » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Hello,

i also use the server version 5.1
Now with ffmpeg I can transcode videos.
But I can´t find a description to transcode in mp3.
I have wma files and like to stream it as mp3 to a Samsung B650 LCD.
Can someone help me how I configure this.

Thanks.

terroreek
AV Hardware:Xbox360
Samsung 7 Series LCD TV
PS3
Wii

Post by terroreek » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:24 am

Yes I would like to know the same, I would like to stream my ogg vorbis files to my ps3.

**edit**
Ok I have been playing around for a bit and it looks like even with the default configuration nothing seems to transcode. I am running ubuntu 9.04 32-bit and streaming to the ps3 works.

I have turned on jpeg rescale and convert, restarted the server, take a look at all the files on share, and the *gif file is not converted. The PS3 cannot view the file, unsupported format, from my laptop I can view the file, but I still see the file as a gif and not a jpeg.

Tried using the video transcoding options, and none of the files that open are in the new transcoded format, via the media browser. I take a look in the /var/twonkymedia/twonky-media-server-transcoding-data/ folder and there is nothing in there, from my understanding anything transcoded should be in there. ffmpeg.location contains /usr/bin

So I am not sure whats going on, I cannot see anything in the logs that would indicate why it won't transcode any of my files. Any help is greatly appreciated please.

radler64
AV Hardware:Samsung UE55C7090

Post by radler64 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:33 pm

duschi wrote:Hello,

Thanks.
Create a file in cgi-bin with the name any2mp3.location and put the path to the any2mp3 script into it.
I copied the script any2mp3 to the /usr/bin directory and made it executable, therefore this path must be in the file.
If you are using Windows or Mac, act accordingly.
Since I did this, I can select the transcoding mp3 check-box.
But yet didn't test it really.
regards
Dieter

wiredfutureman
AV Hardware:TwonkyMediaServer 5.1.2 (Mac Mini 2Ghz, OS X 10.5.8)

Post by wiredfutureman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi all, I am really struggling to get transcoding to work on OS X (10.5.8). I've installed ffmpeg(x) and copied the binary to /usr/local/bin.

Then I created the following: /usr/local/twonkymediaserver/cgi-bin/ffmpeg.location

The location file simply contains the path: /usr/local/bin

After restarting the server (5.1.2) the transcoding options are still disabled and 99% of my videos are still not playing.

Can somebody please point me to detailed instructions on how to get this to work properly on OSX?

Many thanks in advance.

dizziness
AV Hardware:Oppo BDP-83SE

Post by dizziness » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:35 am

I too would appreciate some help with Mac OSX. I think you ought to change the info inside the "Twonky Media Server.app". I configured the clients.db, transcoding.db, the various files in cgi-bin, and the ffmpeg.location file. No files are being transcoded. Only files viewable on the DLNA device are viewable.

wiredfutureman
AV Hardware:TwonkyMediaServer 5.1.2 (Mac Mini 2Ghz, OS X 10.5.8)

Post by wiredfutureman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:58 pm

OK, found it now :-) Silly me...

Here's how to do it:

1. Go to Applications or where ever you have placed TwonkyMediaServer.app and right-click on it
2. Select "Show package contents" and notice the new finder window with two folders opens
3. Browse to "MediaServer -> cgi-bin" and open ffmpeg.location with your favourite text editor (mine is TextMate)
4. Remember the path to the ffmpeg binary on your system and replace the Windows path with the one for your system!

Depending on how you installed ffmpeg you may find it in: /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg or if you have ffmpegX installed, just copy-n-paste this location: /Applications/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg

Enjoy and please report back here.

PS: I've enabled transcoding via the .ini file (config file) in ~/Library/Application Support/TwonkyMediaServer/twonkymedia-server.ini

Code: Select all

bgtrans=JPEG=0,MP3=0,MPEG2=1,WMV=1,MPEG4=1,Flash=1
0 = off, 1 = on :)

riprod
AV Hardware:Mac OS X
DirecTV HR23-700
PS3

Post by riprod » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:28 am

I am on Mac OS X and have installed ffmpeg and the edited the location file. I can now set the transcoding to transcode to Mpeg2 in Twonky. I restarted the server.

Everything looks right but where are the Transcoded files or how do I get to them. If I go to the 'all videos' folder on my HD DVR (DirecTV HR23-700), all I can see are the DIVX files with and "X" next to them.

Also checked /Users/chris/Library/Application Support/ folder but nothing in it.
Activity monitor shows nothing happening with ffmpeg.

Am I missing something ? Do you have any ideas.

z399y
AV Hardware:Marantz AV8003

Post by z399y » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:01 am

I followed the instructions above posted here by wiredfutureman. I installed ffmpegX.app with the three dependancies. I edited the location file in the TwonkyMediaServer.app. I restarted the TwonkyMediaServer, but still the check boxes for transcoding are unavailable. I am using TwonkyMediaServer.app v. 5.1.2 running on OS X Server 10.4.11. Of course my goal is to be able to play my Apple lossless files on a device that only supports mp3.

riprod
AV Hardware:Mac OS X
DirecTV HR23-700
PS3

Post by riprod » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:28 pm

did you edit the TownkyMediaServer.app > mediaserver > cgi-bin > ffmpeg.location file to the following

/Applications/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/

then restart the server. THis will give you the boxes in the transcode section but my problem is that it still does not transcode. I have tracked the problem down to the file TownkyMediaServer.app > mediaserver > bg_trans
It is not running. If I launch it manually then transcoding works but I have to keep it running.

I am trying to figure out how to make this run in the background when you launch Twonky.

dizziness
AV Hardware:Oppo BDP-83SE

Post by dizziness » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:36 pm

riprod wrote:did you edit the TownkyMediaServer.app > mediaserver > cgi-bin > ffmpeg.location file to the following

/Applications/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/
Be sure to drop that trailing / so that it reads: "/Applications/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources"

Regarding bg_trans, that is odd. Its running now for me as well, manually. I would prefer though on-demand transcoding.

z399y
AV Hardware:Marantz AV8003

Post by z399y » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks, that helped, sort of:

In the ffmpeg.location file, I had entered this:
/Applications/ffmpegX_0.0.9y/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg

I changed it to this:
/Applications/ffmpegX_0.0.9y/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources

Now the 4 check boxes for Video Transcoding are active, however the
Transcode music to: MP3 box is still inactive

Devros123
AV Hardware:PS3, Ws TV, Popcornhour, XBOX, Netgear EVA2000

Post by Devros123 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:22 pm

radler64 wrote:
duschi wrote:Hello,

Thanks.
Create a file in cgi-bin with the name any2mp3.location and put the path to the any2mp3 script into it.
I copied the script any2mp3 to the /usr/bin directory and made it executable, therefore this path must be in the file.
If you are using Windows or Mac, act accordingly.
Since I did this, I can select the transcoding mp3 check-box.
But yet didn't test it really.
regards
Dieter
Can I ask people where they got the any2mp3 script? I'm looking for a Mac solution without much luck.

Appreciate any help anybody can give

Devros123

celindir
AV Hardware:DMA 1000

Post by celindir » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:23 pm

just to push this a little to the top.

I desperately try to get on-the-fly-transcoding to work for my apple-lossless-files.
I am using a qnap-NAS with embedded linux but can't figure out how to set it up properly.

Is there anybody out there who could lend a helping hand?

Is there a way to get the above mentioned any2mp3 script for linux? Haven't found anything usefull on google.

Any Help is appreciated.

Yours Celindir

Steinbock
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-439 TurboPro NAS (Firmware 3.2.5 Build 0410T)
with integrated Twonky Media Server (version 5.1.3)
T+A MP-1260R

Post by Steinbock » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:58 am

Hi there,

same question here as celindir (and the original question at the beginning of this thread):

I own a QNAP TS_439 TurboPro NAS (Rel. 3.2.5 Build 0410T) with an integrated Twonky Mediaserver (v5.1.3)

I would like to transcode my FLAC files to MP3 (either on the fly or in the background creating a copy - disk space is not a problem)

Unfortunately under "trancscoding" the option to transcode music is greyed out (not switchable).

What do i need to do to get this feature enabled? Do I need to change some settings (what, where and how?) or install additional software on the QNAP? (what, where and how?)

Would be grateful for any hint to get this resolved

Yours
Steinbock

Roy
AV Hardware:Ubuntu Server 9.10
Kathrein Receiver UFS-912
Philips NP2900
Philips 40 PFL 8664 H/12 LED TV

Post by Roy » Wed May 12, 2010 1:48 pm

I hope this is helpful for you.

http://wiki.roy-bohn.de/index.php?title=TwonkyMedia

Best regards

don
AV Hardware:Current:
Server: Ubuntu Linux box w/mirrored 500gb partition loaded with DVD video files ripped w/DVDShrink, shared via samba
Clients: Various Windows machines using WMP or Win Media Center

Proposed: Add a PS3 into the mix

Post by don » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:37 pm

I'm trying to get audio transcoding to work so I can stream FLACs and WMAs to my TV, but the Twonky interface doesn't seem to want to let me.

I grabbed the any2mp3 script and put it in /usr/bin, chmod +x; there was an 'any-mp3.desc' file in Twonky's cgi-bin directory (as opposed to any2mp3.desc) so I made a corresponding 'any-mp3.location' pointed to /usr/bin - but the enable transcoding checkbox is still disabled. I tried an 'any2mp3.location' file, but Twonky won't even restart with that in place. Any suggestions?