Mediasmart server EX487 - create playlists, sort by artist?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
JLaBaer
AV Hardware:HP Mediasmart Server EX487
Denon 4308CI A/V receiver
Samsung Plasma HDTV
Mediasmart server EX487 - create playlists, sort by artist?

Post by JLaBaer » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:11 am

I am looking for advice on accessing the capabilities of Twonky streaming. My apologies if these are basic questions. I am old fogey (I still have music on vinyl LPs) trying to learn modern ways.

I have an EX487 server (purchased 11/09) running WHS and with Twonky already installed that is connected via ethernet to a Denon 4308 receiver. I have transferred my music to the server as FLAC files along with the appropriate tags. I regard the ablility of Twonky to serve the lossless FLAC files as a big advantage.

The preinstalled Twonky on the HP server is successfully serving the FLAC files and I can play them from the receiver.

But there are very limited options in terms of how to organize and play the music. From my receiver, I can only see my music listed under a folder called "albums." There are two other folders there, but I cannot determine how to populate these. There are no folders listing the music by artist (even though the files are stored this way on my server and all the files have tags). I would dearly love to see the music by artist on the receiver (as I can with Windows Media Server for MP3 files), but there seems to be no way to do this.

Can anyone suggest how I can improve the management and serving of my FLAC files on the mediasmart server?
Is there another Twonky product that woud do this? I would be happy to purchase/upgrade software if it helped.

If there is other software, how do I install it on the server? I would rather be able to play music without keeping my desktop computer on.

Thanks