TMS 5.x How can I configure the musictree?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
pregolavazza
TMS 5.x How can I configure the musictree?

Post by pregolavazza » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:28 pm

Hello,

I used the search engine, but found no answers to my question. So, how can I configure the musictree? In Version 4.x ist was so simple as there was an extra menue point for that-in 5.x I found nothing. Due to the fact, that I have to manage over 20.000 Mp3s I need to config my compilation like that: music-->artist-->a-->ac/dc-->back in black(album)-->Hells Bells(Track).

brombomb
AV Hardware:PS3
Worldbook NAS

Re: TMS 5.x How can I configure the musictree?

Post by brombomb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:25 am

Just to get you started. Under Linux I found the Folder Views to be located in "/twonky/resources/views". Each view is a separate xml file. The do not use comments <!-- --> in the xml because it will lead to a bad file. You may need to edit the view-definitions.xml file but I'm not sure how to go about that.

I reorder my lists to better suit my browsing need (put folder above all). You will need to restart the server after you make changes.

janiskemers
AV Hardware:Pioneer Reciever LX-SC71
Philips NP2500

Post by janiskemers » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:52 pm

I have exactly the same problem, I have some more than 50,000 FLACs.
I need the same nice easy option to configure tree menu as in V4. I can't browse my library, unless I have AB, CD, etc.

I'm so upset that my server was upgraded together with QNAP SW...
How it's possible make new version of SW, and remove such important functionality!

Dear TM team, how to fix the lack of the V4 functionality?

pille
AV Hardware:Philips

Post by pille » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:54 pm

Hi,
I have the same question: Is there perhaps a hidden feature or an admin function to define the structure of the trees in 5.x like in 4.x ?

I'm missing this feature and for me its a stopper not to upgrade to 5.x.

dear developers: please reintegrate this grandoius feature in 5.x.

thanks in advance
pille

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:26 pm

pregolavazza wrote:Hello,

I used the search engine, but found no answers to my question. So, how can I configure the musictree? In Version 4.x ist was so simple as there was an extra menue point for that-in 5.x I found nothing. Due to the fact, that I have to manage over 20.000 Mp3s I need to config my compilation like that: music-->artist-->a-->ac/dc-->back in black(album)-->Hells Bells(Track).
Hi

I have 18,500 FLAC tracks and like yourself, the standard menu is totally unusable. To overcome this, I have had to design custom trees to add the alpha-grouping. The first 5.0 tree is alpha-grouped (A, B, C, D etc), the second 5.0 is the same, but in addition, it also has -all- containers (for example, some control points can show all albums and others cannot; if you have both types in the house, this second tree is more useful). The third option is 5.1 trees which are configured to look the same as the second option of 5.0 tree; it has both -all- and alpha-grouping in the containers.

There are different tree requirements for 5.0 and 5.1, so there's no universal 5.x tree.
5.0 tree can be downloaded from here (these initial ones are 'leaner' to save database size with the music only versions being the most efficient; use the multimedia one is you wish picture and video options too)
5.0 tree can be downloaded from here (this new one is better, but it results in a very big Twonky database)
5.1 tree can be downloaded from here (new Twonky database is a single file so the size is much smaller; this means you can use a more complex tree)

There are other contributions which are also likely to be excellent options. I haven't tried them myself so can't comment on their contents and thus menu structure. They've likely also been produced by folks like us who have larger collections and thus will likely also solve these alpha-grouping issues you require for your own collections. The best way to try them is to install Twonky on a PC and set it to scan a only handful of albums (so you can see the end results faster) then try the different trees one at a time (replace them then do a database rebuild to pick up the changes) and you can then navigate the menu to see how it looks and thus eventually the one you best like. Once identified on a handful of albums, you can then use that tree and scan your entire collection.

Bri