[5.1.2] Case sensitive tags?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
m8ichael
AV Hardware:Acer H340, Noxon, ipdio
[5.1.2] Case sensitive tags?

Post by m8ichael » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:36 pm

I've just found one problem/bug: Obviously, the scanned tags in mp3-files are case-sensitive: two files with the artist tags 'Queen' and 'queen' will result in the music-tree in two different artists. I think that this should be fixed, because this is especially important for non-English artists, where the capitalization could vary in a huge music-library.

m8ichael

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: [5.1.2] Case sensitive tags?

Post by mgillespie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:12 pm

There used to be an option for this in V4.x, it ignored capitalisation problems in tags, and it also fixed "the the" problem, however there were a couple of minor problems with it, so the functionality got pulled :( I was a really big fan of the feature, and it's my only gripe about v5.x server really. I have over 70 artists under "The", so it's not very easy to navigate...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

edrikk

Post by edrikk » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:44 pm

If you are interested/want to, you may look at installing and using MP3Tag (www.mp3tag.de/en/) to manage/correct your tags. The utility handles pretty much everything (i.e. not just mp3s, but also mp4s, flac, etc), and you can very easily "fix" your tags using its "Actions".

For example, change "The XXXX" to "XXXX, The" in one shot, correct capitalization, etc.
It also has the capability to automatically download and embed tags for your audio if you wish to go that route....

Simply a great tool.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:52 pm

A have a good tool for that, MediaMonkey, which is extremely flexible tool that does everything. However I don't feel I should hack my tags to make it work with my server, I want my tags as standard, and have the server deal with them. The problem is, if I add a new CD from an existing Artist, it's another process I need to do, you can bet that when I rip, it will always rip The Rolling Stones and not Rolling Stones, The to match mat previously "hacked" tags in my collection.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

edrikk

Post by edrikk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:15 am

mgillespie wrote:A have a good tool for that, MediaMonkey, which is extremely flexible tool that does everything. However I don't feel I should hack my tags to make it work with my server, I want my tags as standard, and have the server deal with them. The problem is, if I add a new CD from an existing Artist, it's another process I need to do, you can bet that when I rip, it will always rip The Rolling Stones and not Rolling Stones, The to match mat previously "hacked" tags in my collection.
Agree 100%... That's why I made sure to be clear "if you're willing"...

I have to admit that I ended up giving up, and adjusted my tagging and file naming conventions to put the "A", "An" and "The" at the end...

ThyMaster

Post by ThyMaster » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Well, I agree that it is somewhat annoying that they removed the ADAPTCASE feature.
BUT, on the other hand it never was perfect, either.
When turned on, it changed ALL capital chars to "first capital, rest small" so artists like ABC or ABBA read Abc and Abba. It also affected not only artists names (as desired) but also all tracks! So while "Who, The" was ok titles turned into "Great Pretender, The" which I think is not desired!

That's why I'm twisted if I really want the feature back the way it was. I definitely want it back if the above issue would be addressed and fixed.

Just my 2 cents
ThyMaster

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:17 pm

ThyMaster wrote:Well, I agree that it is somewhat annoying that they removed the ADAPTCASE feature.
BUT, on the other hand it never was perfect, either.
When turned on, it changed ALL capital chars to "first capital, rest small" so artists like ABC or ABBA read Abc and Abba. It also affected not only artists names (as desired) but also all tracks! So while "Who, The" was ok titles turned into "Great Pretender, The" which I think is not desired!

That's why I'm twisted if I really want the feature back the way it was. I definitely want it back if the above issue would be addressed and fixed.

Just my 2 cents
ThyMaster
I would "suffer" those minor oddities, which are much less than not being able to easilly browse your "T" collection due to sheer number of artists! Either way, the feature was always optional, so it would have been better to default it to off (and even remove it from the webUI but keep the functionaility there for those that were happy to accept the small price it costed...