Handbrake setting for wireless streaming to PS3

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
badbison
AV Hardware:PS3
Twonky Server running on Mac
Handbrake setting for wireless streaming to PS3

Post by badbison » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:31 pm

Can someone tell me please what are the ideal setting for handbrake to rip a dvd to the harddisk and then stream wirelessly to a ps3 please. My previous films imported into itunes work but are jumpy.

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Re: Handbrake setting for wireless streaming to PS3

Post by DaemonBeetle » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:03 am

I suspect you'd be better asking Handbrake questions on the Handbrake forums ;)

Assuming you're using 802.11g then you've got about 22 Mb/s bandwidth available. Is anything else using the wireless? How's the signal strength?
No longer running Twonky

badbison

Post by badbison » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:13 am

Yes I'm pretty sure that's the standard. There really is no other traffic. It consists of my mac connected wirelessly to a sagem router streaming wirelessly to the ps3. It streams something in the .m2ts format fine. So I'm guessing it's my ripping settings? Happy to use another mac ripper if there's on you can suggest.

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:40 am

Signal strength? Ripping settings?

The problem is likely to relate to the actual bandwidth available to you (which is directly influenced by the signal strength) and the bitrate of the file (which is influenced by the resolution and quality). I'd still recommend you take this to the Handbrake forums where people will be able to provide advice on tuning your settings to suit the bandwidth you've got available, based on their own experiences. Changing your ripping program won't help you, except where the program can only produce low quality files.

To stream 1080p reliably to my TV I had to switch to HomePlug AV, which has easily twice the bandwidth available that 802.11g has.
No longer running Twonky

badbison

Post by badbison » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:38 am

Signal strength is pretty much 100%. It's all in a flat and not a very big one at that. I keep changing the ripping settings - handbrake currently allows mp4 or mkv container using either H.264 or mp4 codecs. If I knew what the settings of the .m2ts file that does play was then I think i'd be halfway there. I'll do as you recommend and take it to a handbrake forum.

Ta