Customising the Navigation Tree

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
netim3
AV Hardware:MacMini (intel) running Twonky 5.1.2
Linn DS media receiver
Customising the Navigation Tree

Post by netim3 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Hello all - just joining the forum, so hope I'm within forum etiquette posting this kind of query...

I'd like to customise my navigation tree (focussed on classical music in particular) so that I get Composer-Album-Track with:
Composer being built using only the 'Composer' tag of FLAC files - not using AlbumArtist/Author other tags.

The xml definition below produces Composer-Track (Album is missing), and seems to include 'composers' based on other tags in my music.

Any suggestions on how I amend/extend the following excerpt from the view-definitions.xml file to get the right outcome?
tks

Natan

Code: Select all

<container name='composer' id='music/composers' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' class='object.container' >
	<container buildon='upnp:author@role' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' class='object.container.album.musicAlbum' />
</container>

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Re: Customising the Navigation Tree

Post by Briain » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi

I've created a few custom trees focused at providing an alternative for those that have large collections and wish to use Linn control points. The entire trees might not suit you (depends on what you are using; they'll not suit things like the Xbox) but the overall trees are here (and the post below that) showing the menu structure.

In my posted trees, I've alpha-grouped the composers (when you select 'Composer' from the main menu, you get an A~Z menu (26 containers) so to get Shostakovich, you'd select 'S' and you'd get all the composers beginning with 'S'. You can see the difference by comparing the picture below (alpha-grouping removed) with the ones below my other two posts.

I've removed the alpha-grouping container, and I've removed another thing you don't need; the menu sort order (upnp:originalTrackNumber='6' in my original code) and that then leaves the below code. You should be able to simply replace your entire composer container with the below code (I've not tested the below code substituted into the original Twonky tree, but as it's almost identical to my original code, it should work fine).

Code: Select all

<container name='composer' id='music/composers' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' class='object.container' >
   <container buildon='upnp:author@role' class='object.container.person.musicArtist'  createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack'>
      <container name='-List Tunes-' class='object.container' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack'/>
      <container name='-Albums-' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' class='object.container' >
         <container buildon='upnp:album' albumart='1' sortcriteria='+upnp:originalTrackNumber' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' class='object.container.album.musicAlbum' />
      </container>
      <container name='-Artists Albums-' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' class='object.container' >
         <container buildon='upnp:artist' class='object.container.person.musicArtist' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack'>
            <container buildon='upnp:album' albumart='1' sortcriteria='+upnp:originalTrackNumber' createClass='object.item.audioItem.musicTrack' class='object.container.album.musicAlbum'/>
         </container>
      </container>      
   </container>
</container>
The trees were written using Notepad ++ in unix style so if you wish to see how they bolt together, you'd be best to download Notepad ++ (it's free) but the above code layout has been changed to make sense using the standard Windows Notepad.

Bri

NB In the above code, I've changed class (in line 2 only) to 'object.container.person.musicArtist' as this shows the person icons on the CP; I'll update my posted trees when I get time.
Attachments
Post.jpg
Composer container from my custom trees but with the alpha-grouping removed.
Post.jpg (50.07KiB)Viewed 5216 times
Last edited by Briain on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shockmaindave
AV Hardware:Windows Vista
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:51 pm

Once again, it looks like 'Briain' is doing more work to make up for Twonky's removal of the menu-editing feature from Version 4 than Twonky is. (Were you ever rewarded that radio for your efforts--and thanks on behalf of the community for the effort that your putting in on behalf of near-strangers.)

I've asked before when the Navigation Tree-editing feature is coming back. I keep hearing next revision it may be there. (I bought version 5 anyway, though I'm still not sure why, since it seems to remove more than it adds for a non-transcoding, boring, just ship mp4s and mp3s downstairs to the stereo from Windows sort of guy like me.)

So this time, I want to change it around a little bit: Rick, is the tree editing capability still on the road map? Will you commit to a date--or are you going to leave us at home on Friday night, lonely and frustrated, like so many Friday nights before?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:23 pm

So this time, I want to change it around a little bit: Rick, is the tree editing capability still on the road map? Will you commit to a date--or are you going to leave us at home on Friday night, lonely and frustrated, like so many Friday nights before?
I don't have a date for you yet, but I'll share some private information that hopefully shows that we're taking your requests seriously. One of our engineers created two standalone apps, the first, a basic tree editor and the second an advanced tree editor. Initially there was much excitement about this and I spent hours writing documentation so we could put the basic app up on the forum quickly. Further testing showed that the app needed much work before it could be released and the people needed to do this are busy working on TMS 6.0 and other exciting projects.

So that's why I can't get you a date yet. We understand how important this is to you, but we cannot release an app that is not ready and has not been tested. If I were to guess, I'd guess that this might be out late summer, but that's only a guess. If we have to scrap the existing work and start over it could take longer.

So that's the truth. I know it's not what you were hoping for. :?

I'll try to post an update after 6.0 ships. Feel free to ping me in the TMM forum about this, since I'm too busy to check this forum much.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Shockmaindave
AV Hardware:Windows Vista
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:36 am

Two followups for you Rick, even if you don't read this forum much.

a. Does your answer that there is no plan to include a navigation tree customization in 6.0?
b. Can you release 6.0 in such a way that my recent upgrade to 5.0 leaves me nothing but resentful?

The "other exciting projects" looks enticing, but so did TMM until I realized I didn't need something with an interface that was even worse than iTunes.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:03 pm

a. Does your answer that there is no plan to include a navigation tree customization in 6.0?
As I said already, we have started work on a solution for tree customization. This will not be ready by the end of March -- when 6.0 is scheduled to be released.
b. Can you release 6.0 in such a way that my recent upgrade to 5.0 leaves me nothing but resentful?
That's our goal. :D

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/