Very Slow Rescan? What's the approach for large libraries?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
beaker66
AV Hardware:MediaServer installed on MBWEII, serving to XBOX360, and various laptops and desktops
Very Slow Rescan? What's the approach for large libraries?

Post by beaker66 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:49 pm

I am using MediaServer 4.4.11 installed on a 1TB MyBookWorld Edition II NAS device (32MB RAM I suspect).

This has worked beautifully for a limited number of files, but last week I backed up the rest of my music collection to it.
The library is now in excess of 40,000 mp3 files.

A "rescan content directories" runs fine at first, reaching the 15 - 20 thousand file mark within a couple of hours,
but then just appears to get slower & slower. It is still running, but adding only 50 - 100 files every hour.
At this rate, it will be another 10 - 20 days before the scan has completed!!

Any ideas what the cause and best solution might be? Would splitting the files into multiple content directories help?

Checking the Server Status currently shows 12793KB Memory used, with 25555 Music Tracks identified as content.
An hour ago this was 12748KB/25466. Viewing the log file shows that files are being added okay...just very, very slowly.
Attachments
TwonkyRescan.jpg
pic of current status
TwonkyRescan.jpg (60.34KiB)Viewed 3014 times

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Very Slow Rescan? What's the approach for large libraries?

Post by mgillespie » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:17 am

One of the big advantages of the 5.x server, is it's much more friendy to system resources with very large libraries. If you can, update to that (it's a chargable upgrade, but there is a trial available)
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

nathan_h
AV Hardware:Oppo 83, Xbox 360, Squeezebox

Re: Very Slow Rescan? What's the approach for large libraries?

Post by nathan_h » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Is there a trick to getting 5.1.2 to find the files? I've tried the various settings (all media types, just video, etc) without luck.