Sorting by track order within a folder using MP3 tags?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Comex
Sorting by track order within a folder using MP3 tags?

Post by Comex » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:12 am

I'm running TMS 4.4.9 on a Win2K server. The hardware are D-Link DSM-320s with firmware Rev. 1.9.

I have TMS set to "Simple Default Navigation" and I have no problem in showing tracks in proper order within a folder. Each folder is an album and each MP3 tag has the proper track number. Also, each MP3 file name begins with the track number.

However, I just bought a license for my friend for TMS 5.12 and it is running on her WinXP desktop to serve another D-Link DSM-320 with firmware Rev. 1.9. On her DSM-320, the tracks all show up in alphabetical order of track name when using "Simple Default Navigation."

I've tried changing the navigation method in TMS to all four options, but the result is the same. After each change, I rebuild the index.

Why does this happen with TMS 5.12 and not with TMS 4.4.9? The hardware and firmware of the players is identical. The media files are also identical (I sync my files to her PC). The only differences are (1) TMS is running on Win2K on my machine and WinXP on hers, and (2) I'm running a slightly older version of TMS. I'm at the point where I'm going to have to uninstall TMS 5.12 and install TMS 4.4.9 on her machine so it will work properly.

fulbrich
AV Hardware:HP MediaSmart ex470

Re: Sorting by track order within a folder using MP3 tags?

Post by fulbrich » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi Comex,

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7903 we are now 3 people having the same problem.
In my case the tracks are sorted by TAG IDS but the numer of the CDs are ignored CD1/4 CD2/4...
so I have first all Track1 and then all Track2 inmy ALBUM View of the device.

Comex

Post by Comex » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks for the comment! Yes, I was able to modify the sort order based upon the suggestions made elsewhere. (I also have to confess that this is a bee in my bonnet. I'm getting really tired of Winamp, Mediamonkey, and other media player users who apparently think I'm a complete idiot for sorting tracks by an artist folder and then an album subfolder. Everybody, including Twonky, seems to think that it's odd to want to open an album folder and play the tracks in order. This is the only explanation for their failing to code for it in this release.) I don't know about playing albums with multiple discs, as I don't do that myself. Good luck!

kgrosser
AV Hardware:Qnap 101, iPod touch with PlugPlayer, Philips NP2500, Siemens AV740, Sony PS3, Momemade Linux based Twonky server/ HiFi Player under construction.

Post by kgrosser » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:46 pm

Apparently - we're more...
Also I can cosole you, Comex, I am completely with you when it comes to being retarded. Maybe the programmers asume people these days do not have complete albums anymore - a thinking I also got confronted with when thinking about creating an own server system (because the lack of effective, intuitive browsing in all available solutions). "Why would you do want to have album subfolders?" "Simply because I think in albums, I am that old. For everybody else, there is the means to browse by artist, song and heck what else, so please let me sort in albums.
Now the question may arise why one wouldn't use the standard "artist/album" navigation system and the answer is that this is a quite long list for a music afficinado like me. Hence I have made up a folder system that bases on T9 (0+, 1, 2ABC, 3 DEF...) wherein I have subcategorized the characters again, then album folders "(YYYY) album name" and lastly (CD XX) (Track XX) track title. This is called a branched tree structure and has due to it's effectiveness generally superceded listed filing - I have no clue why iTunes, Winamp, Windows MP, MediaMonkey and now Twonky have missed on this development....

What I would really like to see was using a pure file based browsing system that however displays the tags

Comex

Post by Comex » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:24 am

Yes, a branched tree structure would be quite efficient. But I don't have any problems sorting by artist folder (my highest level folders). I use several D-Link players and I just page down to the artist folder. While I now have about 16,500 tracks, I find it pretty easy and fast to get to them in three steps (artist folder, album, track).

Thanks for the input!!