Help us Bring Back Navigation Tree Customization

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.
Help us Bring Back Navigation Tree Customization

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:52 pm

As previously mentioned, we’d want to bring back some of the tree customization capabilities found in TMS 4.0. Since we don't have enough time to add back all of the previous tree customization features at once, we want to make sure we add the features you need most first.

Please help us to prioritize the list below by adding a two digit number to the left of each feature below. If we’ve missed any features you want to see, just add them to the bottom of the list and press reply. Also, it's very important that we know whether you're a NAS or a Mac/PC/Linux user.

Features we'd like you to rank
- Ability to suppress an entire heading (or node)
- Ability to change the number of items that appear in an index. For example, instead of artist index showing 3 letters, change it to 4.
- Ability to change the order of headings
- Ability to rename a heading

Things we're not planning to support in our first release (because these features proved to be problematic)
- Add a new heading
- Add a new subheading to an existing heading or subheading
- Create a new tree from scratch
- Change the "Type" for an existing heading or subheading
- Ability to suppress a subheading (or level)

Please respond to this post with your rankings and information whether you're a NAS user or a PC user. Thanks.

- Rick

audiokaas2
AV Hardware:PopCornHour, Linn Akurate DS

Re: Help us Bring Back Navigation Tree Customization

Post by audiokaas2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Great Iniative Rick,

I hope more great ideas will follow, mine (maybe not great but still mine) are below.
  • -I would like artist/composer artwork on the container example pick up <david Bowie.jpg>
    -Sub grouping eg aa, ab, ac etc for example [0]
    -Sort albums on year instead of alphabetical
    -Working disknumber for Vorbis comments instead of just for ID3
    -Not just last played songs but last played/most popular/ top 50 albums
    -Ability to do away with the Music header
    -Ability to build-on more tags eg conductor, orchestra, soloist, instrument.
    -Statistics page on the control point showing database size, number of discs, number of songs, etc..

audiokaas2
AV Hardware:PopCornHour, Linn Akurate DS

Post by audiokaas2 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:53 am

TMM_Product_Manager wrote: Features we'd like you to rank
- Rick
1 - Ability to suppress an entire heading (or node)
3 - Ability to change the number of items that appear in an index. For example, instead of artist index showing 3 letters, change it to 4.
2 - Ability to change the order of headings
4 - Ability to rename a heading

NAS user

As a side note I'd like to mention that your feature set for the music afficionados is starting to look very mediocre compared to the likes of squeezecenter, asset, J.River. Granted they all run on windows only but with the power consumption of the intel atoms that is starting to become less of a problem.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:23 am

We'd love to know which features Squeezecenter, asset and J.River have that you'd like to see in our products.
Do this by sending e-mail directly to tmm-beta@pv.com.
PLEASE DO NOT POST THESE REQUESTS HERE HOWEVER. :)

I will share your requests with the top people in the TwonkyMedia organization. Thanks.

- Rick

yannyb
AV Hardware:ReadyNAS Duo with Twonky Media Server 5.1.3
PS3
XBOX360
XBMC (on v1 XBOX)

Post by yannyb » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:36 pm

The ability to change the order of headings and the index setup would be top of my list.

cheers

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:33 am

Thanks for all of the feeback so far. We'd like to hear from more of you however. Now is the time to speak up if you care about this feature.

- Rick

eivinn
AV Hardware:ReadyNAS Duo + Naim Uniti

Post by eivinn » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:27 pm

I'd very much appreciate the ability to suppress menu items as there is only a few menu items of interest when using a UPNP player.

fulbrich
AV Hardware:HP MediaSmart ex470

Post by fulbrich » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:30 pm

0 - Add Headings
1 - Ability to suppress an entire heading (or node)
2 - Ability to change the order of headings
3 - Ability to change the number of items that appear in an index. For example, instead of artist index showing 3 letters, change it to 4.
4 - Ability to rename a heading

Hi,
I wasn't aware that the feature of Customized Trees is gone in Version 5. This feature of V4 was a reason to buy Twonky Server 5 for me .... and now it is gone. I am disappointed and I regret that I bought a license.
Bring back it again, please.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:27 pm

Ability to suppress an entire heading (or node)

My only real wish. Sometimes all the navigation methods are just too much.. I only use 1 or 2.

csimon
AV Hardware:None

Post by csimon » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi,

I played around with Twonky a few months ago but gave up and uninstalled it because it was clunky, slow, cumbersome and didn't allow browsing of my music library as I wanted it categorised. There is nothing yet on the market that can do it, apart from Meedio which is where I come from, but Meedio lacks polish and functionality in other areas which is why I was looking for an alternative.

Is it not possible to redesign the navigation-tree engine from scratch rather than building editing facilities on top of an existing hardcoded XML file? I can't help but think of the way Meedio does it...

1. Create an unlimited number of trees.
2. Each tree can have attributes of: a name; a filter condition to select a subset of the database.
3. Create an unlimited number of steps in each tree.
4. Each step can have attributes of: a grouping variable (and whether it's an index); a sort variable; display as image, text or both (and possibly what tags to display as text).

It's obviously based around 2 tables...

NAV_TREE
tree_id *
name
filter
<any other attributes>

NAV_STEP
tree_id *
step_id *
name
group_by
sort_by
index_YN
index_nbr_of_items
display_type

The Meedio library-building tool looks just like an Access data entry form, what you are doing is literally adding records to those two tables and filling in each column! Once the nav tree structure is defined in the database, in can be translated into an XML file or whatever uPnP/DLNA syntax is required to send it round the network. Or have I completely misunderstood the way DLNA works??

I don't actually have extremely complex requirments, I just want to be able to categorise my collection by sort album artist yet display the original artist name, and categories like 7"/12"/CD single, artist compilation or live album, and sort my artist albums by year, as that's the way I visualise my collection.

I don't want to offend anyone by this, teaching people to suck eggs etc!! But just throwing some ideas into the melting pot.