Sony Bravia TV as client with TWONKY server version 5.1.3

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Torsten
AV Hardware:Sony Brawia TV
Sony Bravia TV as client with TWONKY server version 5.1.3

Post by Torsten » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi,

I am new here, but I am happily using TWONKY server already for sometime with the following configuration:

Sony Bravia KDL 40W5720 as client
PC running Linux (OPEN SUSE LINUX 11.2) latest service packs installed as server

TWONKY server version 5.0.68

This combination works fine. pictures, music and videos are streamed to the Sony, and the Sony plays them. However, there is the issue that I've not yet figured out what format HD videos must be in order to make the Sony playing them, SD works.

Therefore, notifying that there is a newer server version available, I downloaded it for Windows XP (latest service packs installed), to try out if TWONKY had improved here (I got some videos in mpeg 2 HD format, which are played by the Sony using Windows Media Player 12 on a Windows 7 box). Howerver, I noted that the Sony does not show the videos anymore, instead it shows under videos a copy of the pictures access. To be noted as well, running the Media Browser on the PC, everything seems to be fine.

I haven't updated yet my main system for that purpose (the Linux), for two reasons:
- since it does not work under Windows, I suspect it won't work under Linux, and I do not want to mess up my working installation
- Linux download is not possible (both links do not work on the TWONKY webpage)

By the way, I did just a test with server version 5.1.2, and it shows the same behaviour.

I would appreciate any help. Maybe, this is a known bug (I could not find anything in the forum though)?

Regards,
Torsten

fero
AV Hardware:Dlink NAS DNS-323
Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500

Re: Sony Bravia TV as client with TWONKY server version 5.1.3

Post by fero » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi Torsten,

I described the same bug in the following forum:
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7563

It was confirmed by other Sony TV users as well but seems like Twonky team is not very interesting in fixing it :( Workaround is to change sort option for the folder on TV side as I described in my post.

cheers
Fero,

Torsten

Post by Torsten » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Thanks, Fero, for this information.

I am going to try it out.

I was not able to find your posting before, so thanks for making me aware of this.

Regards,

Torsten

Torsten

Post by Torsten » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Hello,

I performed some further tests and like to report this here, maybe one or the other finds this useful.

As Fero said, changing the sort order under options in the Sony Bravia Video menu magically let the videos appear.
Also, setting the Sony in Twonly as Generic Media Player instead of selecting Sony Bravia solves the issue, without any negative side effects as far as I could see.

However, I found with version 5.1.3 something more anoying, it does not play my mpeg 2 (in SD format) movies anymore, version 5.0.68 was and is perfectly streaming them. :evil:
Consequently, the new version is a clear no go for myself. I would be interested to know if other Sony Bravia users did observe the same problem.

One may ask now, why in the world is this man trying to change to a newer version of TWONKY Server then? Well, the 5.0.68 does not stream AVCHD to the Sony, while the 5.1.3 does (although I have some problems with this as well, the movies are not playing smooth).

I really hope somebody from TWONKY looks into this.

Cheers,
Torsten

kschrauwen
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia KDL-40NX700

Post by kschrauwen » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:40 pm

Hello Twonky users,

I just bought myself a brand new Sony Bravia (NX700 :D ) with wifi and dlna support. I have a simple question. How do you guys get the right video-format eg. which program converts to the required mpeg-2 format??? I've tried all sorts of mpeg-2 configurations with Imedia Converter (iSkysoft) on my Mac but nothing seems to work. No playable videos are visible on the Bravia.

Please, all suggestions are welcome to this newby.

Greetz from Holland: Koen.

decloverly
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia KDL-40NX700, twonky server 5.1.3 Windows XP SP3

Post by decloverly » Fri May 28, 2010 12:26 am

Hi,

I also have a NX700 TV and cannot see ANY video files. I tried changing the sort order and changing the render's profile to generic - no difference. I see the music and pictures just fine.

I am running v 5.1.3 on windows XP.

Does anyone have other ideas? What kind of video files I am supposed to watch on the Bravia?
I got the TWONKY because it is advertised to be able to play HD files like .mkv ...