DVD and Video Metadata or Tags

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
fboecom
AV Hardware:PC2500 VIA-C7 Ubuntu 10.04, Twonky Server 6.0.28, WD TV Live, AMDX4 Phoenix MSI 890 (Windows Performance index 7.1, Win 7-64 Ultimate)
DVD and Video Metadata or Tags

Post by fboecom » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:40 pm

I am using TMS on Ubuntu and it runs great; use it with WDTV Live.
Now for the content. Of course everybody knows that Music needs ID tags. Perfect.
But what about videos? 1) I don't know if TMS can handle such tags and 2) I don't know how to apply tags to my .divx or other video files.

No Howto on the Twonky site - rubbish results in Google.
Has THE WORLD a big green field lying out there? Is Folder trees the only solution? Any vision from Twonky?

I would appreciate a general statement in the Announcements or alike.

Thanks, Frederik

don
AV Hardware:Current:
Server: Ubuntu Linux box w/mirrored 500gb partition loaded with DVD video files ripped w/DVDShrink, shared via samba
Clients: Various Windows machines using WMP or Win Media Center

Proposed: Add a PS3 into the mix

Re: DVD and Video Metadata or Tags

Post by don » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:04 pm

I'm in a similar situation - I've got a bunch of DVDs ripped as VOB files and am evaluating Twonky as a media server solution for streaming to PCs running XBMC or Boxee and eventually to a PS3 I hope to buy later this year. I've used an application called Media Companion to build metadata databases on them all, but I haven't found a way to attach tags to the VOB files themselves so that Twonky can understand them and give me anything other than a folder-based list of movies. I've seen mention here of an editor called ABCavi, but as the name suggests it's a tool for AVIs and I couldn't get it to recognize VOBs. It would be nice if Twonky supported the .NFO file tag format used by XBMC as there are several nice editors out there that produce these.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Does MPEG2/VOB even support metadata in the standard?

don
AV Hardware:Current:
Server: Ubuntu Linux box w/mirrored 500gb partition loaded with DVD video files ripped w/DVDShrink, shared via samba
Clients: Various Windows machines using WMP or Win Media Center

Proposed: Add a PS3 into the mix

Post by don » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:41 pm

I don't know - every search I've tried for "VOB metadata", "VOB tag", "MPEG2 metadata", etc., has come up mostly with link to MP3 tag editor downloads.

edrikk

Post by edrikk » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:54 am

I don't think vob supports tagging. Mpeg-2 is a standard, not a container, so....

I would recommend that you convert your vob files to H.264 video, AAC audio streams in MP4 container. At least that way you'll have a standardized tag format for your files which holds albumart, etc, etc within the container, and Twonky (amongst almost all others) reads the metadata.

MP3Tag can edit/add/remove MP4 file tags.

I would recommend XVid4PSP to convert your vobs to MP4 (using X264 and Nero's AAC encoder). It makes the process very simple.

If you're worried about quality, just use a very high quality setting....