Transcoding by client type/ID?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
don
AV Hardware:Current:
Server: Ubuntu Linux box w/mirrored 500gb partition loaded with DVD video files ripped w/DVDShrink, shared via samba
Clients: Various Windows machines using WMP or Win Media Center

Proposed: Add a PS3 into the mix
Transcoding by client type/ID?

Post by don » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:01 am

I'm resuming my efforts to set up a home media server after a year or more of having too many other things to do, and I'm hoping to build a Twonky box to handle it. As a parallel project I want to re-rip a bunch of old CDs that were originally ripped into MP3 files of sufficiently limited quality to fit on late-90s storage media, and I'd prefer to do them as lossless FLACs. Most of the clients I'll be serving them to will be PCs, but I hope to also add a PS3 into the mix later in the year. I know that there's a way to transcode the FLACs into WAVs that the PS3 will support, but I don't want to bother transcoding to the PCs, which will all have players that support FLACs. Is there a way to get TMS to either:

a) Recognize the type of client it's streaming to, and having transcoding turned on only for that type of client, or

b) Toggle transcoding on for only specific IP, mac addresses, etc. ?