LG BD390 setup

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
paaland
AV Hardware:HP SmartMedia EX470, Windows Home Server
LG BD390
LG BD390 setup

Post by paaland » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:50 pm

I'm using a HP SmartMedia Server EX475 (Windows Home Server) which holds all my media files. I'm using a LG BD390 as playback device. Earlier I've been using Nero MediaHome 4 which sucked really bad. Then I've been using Wild Media Server for a long time which is a great peace of software.

But since HP came out with the 3.0 update for my WHS which includes TwonkyMedia 5.1.1 I decided to update.

First off the LG BD390 is not detected properly, only as a Generic Media Receiver. I can navigate all folders and play music just fine, but on several videos the BD390 simply hangs and then shuts down. This never happened with Wild Media Server. The BD390 supports most all audio and video formats and all transcoding etc should be turned off. Seems HD (720 and 1080p) mkv files are more problematic than low res avi's (divx etc).

I've tried specifing in twonky that the BD390 is a PS3 (as per hint from someone on the forum), but that did not help either.

Anyone have any ideas about how I can get Twonky and my BD390 to play nice?

paaland
AV Hardware:HP SmartMedia EX470, Windows Home Server
LG BD390

Re: LG BD390 setup

Post by paaland » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:57 am

Nobody using Twonky with the LG BD390? I simply cannot understand why the device justs shuts off when I try to play some videos. The same device and files works fine with Nero MediaHome and Wild Media Server, but I'd prefer Twonky because of the WHS integration.

Caoimhghin

Post by Caoimhghin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:52 pm

I have the same problem with TMS and the LG BD390 so I've now given up using it. The BD390 supports Samba shares so I now use this method to access my media on my Thecus NAS.

fuquam
AV Hardware:Mac Desktop OS 10.6, Linksys wireless router, LG BD570 network blu ray player

Post by fuquam » Fri May 07, 2010 12:13 am

I have an LG BD570 which is just the newer version of the 390. I have it set with generic because there are no LG products listed. This is kind of a bummer because when I stream photos the resolution sucks and without the ability to select the media device I don't thing there's a way to change it. I'm able to stream videos just fine but all mine are in MP4 format. I can't pause/rewind/fast forward which sucks. Also I've not been able to find a way to display images for video files. All my videos are in iTunes and have cover art attached but that doesn't translate for some reason. Don't know if that function is lacking on the LG or Twonky Media Server. When I accidently select an unsupported video file the player freezes up and I have to hold the power in for 5 seconds or so to restart it. I think that's the LG player crapping out when it doesn't know what to do. I might try a few different video formats this weekend to see what works and what doesn't. I'm still running a trial version and if I can't get the photo screen resolution issue fixed I probably won't buy it and look for another media server. FUPPES is one I've been meaning to check out. I'm going to try Samba now since Caolmhghin said it works.