Twonky media server not streaming video to dlna device

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
kaotik78
AV Hardware:Sony BDp-s470, yamaha rx-v1900, HP mediasmart ex470 2gb ram upgrade, v3 software fully patched.
Twonky media server not streaming video to dlna device

Post by kaotik78 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:30 pm

I have a hp mediasmart server which has the latest v3 patch from HP installed. Twonky media 5 I believe was what has now. It's integrated with HP's software. I have a sony blu-ray player that is dlna certified. This morning a update allowed my bdp-s470 to access my hpmediasmart server. Problem was, it would let me browse random folders (which twonky was taking years and months and listing them ) but not to see the actual files themselves.

After fiddling with various settings, restarts, I got nowhere. Honestly, technology has to evolve, wasting gobs of time on something as supposedly "simple" as depicted in the twonky setup videos is a croc. But, I digress..

I downloaded the latest version of Twonky media server 6, only to find I don't have a license key, since my version came with my latest paid patch from HP. The only way to install was through RDC which I did, only now to find that it works with my photos and music, but not at all with my videos.

Currently now I would assume that I have twonky installed, one version on top of the other, v5 and 6? Version 6 can be maintained by using RDC and going through the taskbar icon for settings, v5 can be accessed through the mediasmart home server console gui.

Problem is, is that it won't play video, and I'm not sure if it's Twonky (I'm assuming it is, since I've had so many issues getting it to work in the first place) or if it's my blu-ray player.

I've tried MKV, AVI, MPEG-4, MOV files and nothing works.

Has anyone else had issue with Twonkymedia server in a similar fashion?

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Re: Twonky media server not streaming video to dlna device

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:09 pm

I have another of the Sony Blu-ray players that's just been DLNA enabled. I have the same problem playing MKV files, but a Google search shows that people are having problems with a wide range of DLNA servers - not just Twonky.
No longer running Twonky

kaotik78
AV Hardware:Sony BDp-s470, yamaha rx-v1900, HP mediasmart ex470 2gb ram upgrade, v3 software fully patched.

Post by kaotik78 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Funny, I've been trying all day, google did not pull up any decent information regarding sony blu-ray players or dlna servers.

Be it MKV, MOV, AVI, MPEG etc, it should still stream. Now as far as I have been able to get with this software is to show pictures and listen to music now. However twonky's or sony's ability to show file/folders needs a ton of work. Viewing files/folders by date just jumbles the year of the file and uses that as the folder, inside it shows the month as the next folder, but never the file.

Secondly, Twonky v6 can be installed on HP mediasmart server but it will seemingly ruin the integrated twonky v5 install. Once you install Twonky v6, you are stuck with it, as I tried to remove it, only then, did I realize it had removed other parts of Twonky v5 that no longer enable it to enable itself.

Bottom line, is that both Twonky, and Sony or any DLNA certified device manufacturer needs to do further testing and stop using the paying public as beta testers. Overall I'm quite dissapointed, not because it did not work for me, but because of the sheer time sink, programs like these, become for the end user. Riddled with bugs, and ultimately end up doing more harm than good.

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:36 pm

Have you looked at what the DLNA certification covers?

Hint - it isn't a generic "play anything" certification - it's for very specific file formats, codecs etc. Here is a potentially useful blog entry, which includes what the certification covers - you'll notice that MKV is not there. DLNA 1.5, the current standard, was published in 2006 BTW.

So, Both Twonky and Sony can be perfectly DLNA compliant without supporting the unapproved MKV format.
No longer running Twonky

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:47 pm

This is a very important point, DLNA does not cover everything. MKV is a rather complicated format, and certainly not part of DLNA certification.

Personally, I don't understand why people use it, as MPEG2 and MPEG4 containers work perfectly fine for me, and have much wider product support.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

kaotik78

Post by kaotik78 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:10 pm

No problem with mkv, it was just a file I had available. I have also tried avi and mpg, mpeg-2 and mpeg-4. At no time does twonky allow me to view these files through my sony blu-ray player.

Furthermore, I have submitted a question regarding a license key to twonky directly, informing them that I own a mediasmart server, I can't find my license key, I have installed v6 of twonky over my bundled version. The only response I got was a canned answer of "please visit www.tonky.com/support/faqs.aspx"

I've re-installed my server software and got rid of twonky v6, it still does not cooperate with the sharing/viewing of any "supported" video's.

I understand that DLNA is just a catchphrase that doesn't mean anything in terms of raw compatibility with various files, however I would expect that supported files on both machines, that do match up, should play/view fine, in this case, they do not.

kaotik78

Post by kaotik78 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:48 pm

Apparently Twonky is playing the infamous, "pass the buck" game, claiming that the version of Twonky that came with my mediasmart server is not supported by them. Ridiculous, since they made the damn program. I will NOT be supporting this company by purchasing v6 and will express my feelings of disgust toward this company to everyone else I know in the tech field, both thorugh virtual networking and beyond. Simply pathetic how this company can't stand behind the product it makes.

MattS
AV Hardware:WHS, Sony BDP-S370, Xbox *2, Nokia N95 and of course TWONKY Server

Post by MattS » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:54 am

I have a Sony Blu-ray player BDP - S373 and Twonky server 6 and using the generic media device then it browses folders and plays MP3 and views jpeg pictures just fine. It does not play mp4 video though but I have not yet had time to try some of the other Sony media device types such as Sony Bravia etc. I will let you know what I discover from my testing.

MattS
AV Hardware:WHS, Sony BDP-S370, Xbox *2, Nokia N95 and of course TWONKY Server

Post by MattS » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:52 pm

OK, so after some testing my Sony BDP S373 plays video from my Twonky Server V6 running on WHS. It can play MPEG2 and AVI as ripped using Magic DVD ripper "AVI" and "Original MPEG2" profiles. This is using the Generic media device setting in Twonky Server. Quality is not great but this is due to the file format more than anything I think. I can not yet make it play MP4 via DLNA although the Sony does this fine from USB Memeory. I hope this helps.

kaotik78

Post by kaotik78 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm

Yeah, I gave up on the Twonky server, it's a POS which needs major work still. Photos and music work fine, video, is a no go. I went the usb route, MPEG4 and it's fine.