ByFolder Navigation starting from the "root" shared folder?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
pdneri
AV Hardware:.
ByFolder Navigation starting from the "root" shared folder?

Post by pdneri » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:12 am

When I choose ByFolder navigation and for example I share 2 folders with their subfolders, in the DMP device I'd like to see the 2 folders and not the subfolders.

For example:
I share FolderA (with SubFolderA1 and SubFolderA2 as subfolders) and FolderB (with SubFolderB1 as subfolder).

On the DMP device I see:
SubFolderA1
SubFolderA2
SubFolderB1

while I'd like to see:
FolderA
FolderB

Is there a way to customize the view without rearranging the original folder trees?
Thank you for your help.

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: ByFolder Navigation starting from the "root" shared folder?

Post by PeeBee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:43 pm

You have to put in a higher level folder above FolderA and FolderB.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

pdneri

Post by pdneri » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Thanks PeeBee, but I can't due to some costraints of my Windows Home Server and its way to manage "duplication folders".
I am looking for an option to include in the view so that it starts from the previous level .....

aztec
AV Hardware:WDTV Live. WHS PP3

Post by aztec » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:28 am

Same question here.

Why can't I have full folder control?

Twonky 6 has been great so far, and this is one of the few things that is still holding me back from finally purchasing. I was thinking that as my library grows, the folder tree would get more and more compicated, if the user doesn't have full control of the folder structure.

Thanks for any feedback!

WHS
Twonky Server 6.0

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:56 pm

As I don't have a WHS I don't really understand the issues you guys have. Why can't you just add a higher level folder to use as your shared folder?

The folder control issue is with WHS not Twonky. The way Twonky deals with shared folders seems totally logical to me yet the idea of having "an option to include in the view so that it starts from the previous level" seems counter-intuitive/illogical.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

pdneri

Post by pdneri » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Because in WHS I can assign different attributes (mainly define a mirror copy) only at the first level.
If I create a higher level, all the lower folders will have the same attributes, so I have to decide for all of them if I want a mirror or not .... and that is not want I want to do!

It's not illogical because every sw I have ever used to share folders always shows the shared folder and not the second level as first level of view.
Twonky is the first one that behaves in a different way.

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:36 pm

The difference here is that you are not defining shared folders. You are identifying to Twonky the root folder(s) where your media lives so that Twonky can create its database. The Folder view is just that - a way of looking at the contents of the database based on what folder (beneath the identified root folder) the media lives in.

I understand what you're asking for but I think you are trying to compare chalk and cheese here.

Instead of putting your individual folders into a common higher level folder why not put each folder into a different higher level folder? That way you can decide your attributes how you want to, and by identifying the new higher level folders to Twonky as the root folders of your media, Twonky's Folder view should show the folders you want to see.

Example:

You want to see Folder1 and Folder2. Put Folder1 into FolderA and Folder2 into FolderB. Identify FolderA and FolderB as shared folders to Twonky and Folder1 and Folder2 should appear in the Folder view for Twonky, just as you want them too.

PB