Nav tree question (yup, I've read, searched, researched)

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
JordanB
AV Hardware:PS3, XBOX360
Nav tree question (yup, I've read, searched, researched)

Post by JordanB » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi there, great product, love it.

One thing I've been REALLY trying to do for awhile now is to set up my VIDEO tree so damn simply that I can just browse folders. No ratings, no groupings, no frills.

I'm a software developer, so not totally inexperienced with XML. I just can't wrap my head around some of the finite points with the nav tree...

2 questions:

view-definitions.xml is the main tree structure, which is then filtered by views, right? Is adding a new view as simple as creating a new blah.view.xml file? (I tried to add a new file -- copied from one of the stock views -- and couldn't see it in the initial setup options following a service restart).

I wound up just editing folder.view.xml to really really strip down the navigation. Currently, it just has:

<container id="video">
<link id="video/folders" />
</container>

That's pretty well for what I'm after, but what my preference would really be is when on a PS3 or XBOX 360 I go into Videos, it simply shows the folder view.

Currently, I navigate to VIDEOS -> BY FOLDER -> [folderlist]

Is it at all possible to move that [folderlist] up a level in the tree? I wouldn't ask if I hadn't already spent 5 hours trying to do this myself... :o)

Kind regards!

Jordan Bowness

Bumpaneer
AV Hardware:D-Link 323

Re: Nav tree question (yup, I've read, searched, researched)

Post by Bumpaneer » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:06 am

I'm also looking to do the same thing if anyone has accomplished this.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Nav tree question (yup, I've read, searched, researched)

Post by mgillespie » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:04 pm

I havn't tried moving it up a level, but I have created a slimmed down view of just the ones I use.

I took a copy of the advanced.view.xml and called it marksDefault.view.xml and stipped out the nodes I did not need.

Code: Select all

<view name='marksDefault' path='marksDefault.view'>
	<navtree>
		<container id='music'>
			<link id='music/artistindex' />
 			<link id='music/folders' />
			<link id='music/rating' />
			<link id='music/playlists' />
			<link groupid='music/onlineservices' />
		</container>
		<container id='picture' >	
			<link id='picture/folders' />
			<link id='picture/year' />
			<link id='picture/rating' />
			<link groupid='picture/onlineservices' />
		</container>
		<container id='video' >
			<link id='video/folders' />
			<link id='video/year' />
			<link id='video/rating' />
			<link groupid='video/onlineservices' />
		</container>
	</navtree>
</view>
The final thing I had to do was the add the view to the main views list by editing the first line in view-definitions.xml

(snippet)

Code: Select all

<view name='base' viewlist='advanced,folder,ipodlike,simple,classified,playlists,marksDefault' guilist='advanceddefault,ipodlike,simpledefault,byfolder,marksDefault>

I then did a server restart and selected my new view under "Initial Steps". Job Done... Obviously a upgrade will overwrite the view-definitions.xml each time, so I will need to add them back (and likely set the default view back in the web interface)
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.