Slow Xbox 360 picture browsing

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Otacon
AV Hardware:Xbox 360
Slow Xbox 360 picture browsing

Post by Otacon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Hello

Using twonky 6.0 on a little atom based Ubuntu server, browsing photos on the xbox is very slow indeed. While a photo is loading, the cpu usage of the twonky process jumps up - almost like it's transcoding the image, but I've disabled transcoding of images... any idea what's going on? The PS3 doesn't seem to have this problem.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Slow Xbox 360 picture browsing

Post by mgillespie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:21 pm

The PS3 is more suited for home entertainment it's also DLNA compliant (the XBox is a Microsoft proprietary UPnP), The PS3 also has far better format support If you have both systems you are better sticking to the PS3, as staying with DLNA devices, you are far more likely to have trouble-free operation.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

jtrevill
AV Hardware:Dlink DNS-343
Dlink DGS-2208 Gigabit Router
XBox 360
Windows SBS

Post by jtrevill » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:46 am

I understand what is being said regarding the XBox 360 and Microsoft's ways... however, I'm pretty sure 6.0 slowed this down quite a bit from what I've seen... AND Twonky advertises (or did advertise) that it supported the XBox 360, so blaming Microsoft's ways isn't really acceptable :)

Don't get me wrong, I love Twonky, but it just seems everyone gives a lesser level of support as soon as they find out we have Xbox's :(

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:52 am

It's all about standards, which are there for a reason. If Microsoft choose to ignore them, then it's going to be detrimental to cross platform support.

Twonky does support the Xbox, but then end user experience is going to be worse, because of the proprietary protocols that Microsoft use.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.