Modify Server 'Tree' Structure?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
kartman_canada
AV Hardware:PS3
Modify Server 'Tree' Structure?

Post by kartman_canada » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:06 pm

Sorry if this is covered somewhere... I searched but I'm not sure I was searching using the appropriate key words....

Basically, I want to modify the 'structure' that a user needs to navigate down through to get to my media. I only use the server for video at the moment... Right now, I see 'Videos' at the head of the tree which is fine but, under this item, I see the following:

Album
All Videos
By Date
By Folder
By Year
Personal rating
Playlists

I always go to 'By Folder' and would like to remove the rest. Reordering might be OK too as this would allow me to make 'By Folder' the default pick but, ideally, I'd like to make the tree go 'Videos' --> directly to what is listed after selecting 'By Folder'.

it's not that the default doesn't work... i'd just like to tidy it up and reduce the navigation effort as my kids get confused/lost.

pdneri
AV Hardware:.

Re: Modify Server 'Tree' Structure?

Post by pdneri » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:00 pm

Any answer? I have the same need .....
Thanks,
Davide

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:28 pm

It depends on what version you are using:

4.x - you have the options presented from the config pages but that is it.
5.x & 6.x - you have to learn how to modify the view*.xml files in the Resources/views folder (there are no full guides to all of the options in these files so it is mainly trial and error - search again for xml and you should see some posts; look for posts by Brian as he has done a lot of work on this).

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

pdneri

Post by pdneri » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks PeeBee for your quick answer!

I have version 6.0
I found very complex custom trees by Brian but nothing near to my need.
If I am wrong, please put me in the right direction with the search results ....

I only want to remove a level from the standard navigation tree. I am not familiar with xml, but I guess few lines/code could be deleted or slightly changed from the original files to get what I want (i.e. very quick job for an expert!) and, honestly, I do not want to study the whole big manual I've seen ....
... so thanks in advance to the kind expert guy that will help! :D

Davide

dermoritz
AV Hardware:bla

Post by dermoritz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:01 pm

one easy solution should be to set "treetype" in "quickstartup" setting. if set to "byfolder" you should get what you want?! you can also set this per connected device-> under clients the right most dropdown menu.

pdneri

Post by pdneri » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks for your answer.

That just simplifies the list of choices but I still have a useless "step".
To be more clear:

First menu:
Music
Photos
Videos

Second Menu:
All videos
By Folder

Third Menu:
list of my folders

I just want to jump from the first menu to the third. :mrgreen:

Davide

jiveman
AV Hardware:Qnap TS419P, twonky server 5.1.6

Post by jiveman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:19 pm

I too need exactly this

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi

I had a music only tree for Twonky 5.0.68. That tree did not have Music, Picture and Video top level containers; the control point just showed the music containers as the top level menu (similar to what you wish for videos). I had to revert to using the more conventional approach for 5.1 as it uses a different tree concept (and a totally different database design) so I think that without these top level containers, it simply wouldn't function. I also suspect that certain things are 'coded' into Twonky 5.1 and 6.0 which rely on these three top level containers being present.

To be honest, I didn't spend more than 5 minutes experimenting with that option as I had previously decided to revert to a more standard menu anyway (i.e. to put the 3 multimedia containers back) so it could be something worth looking at in more detail, but my gut feeling is that it might not be possible.

That said, Twonky 6 is a bit different to 5.1 in that to me, it looks like it might have been prepared to enable additional 'main' trees to be added (with new 'shortcut' trees pointing to them) and thus I think that your request might well be possible with Twonky 6.0.1 (or if not right now, maybe in a near-future update of it) but again, it's not something I've ever experimented with. I can think of a couple of possible experimental things that might work, but sadly, I just don't have time to fiddle with it at the moment; maybe the best plan is to just put up with it for now and wait for the future T6 custom tree documentation to be produced.

Bri

jiveman
AV Hardware:Qnap TS419P, twonky server 5.1.6

Post by jiveman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:06 am

Is it possible to remove all the other stuff that is displayed, like:- by year, by date, genre, personal rating, and just leave the ones we need?

All i need is By Folder

Thanks in advance

MartinS
AV Hardware:Buffalo LinkStation Pro (V2, 3TB [2TB], TMS 6.0.38)
Buffalo LinkStation Pro (V2, 1TB, TMS 6.0.38)
Buffalo LinkStation Live (2TB, TMS 6.0.38)
Cisco Linksys WRT610N (DD-WRT build 18024)
Philips 52PFL9704H
WD HD TV Live (1.6.15)
Philips NP2900
Noxon iRadio
HTC Sensation (CoreDroid 2.7 [Android 2.3.4], TM 2.1.2)
HTC Desire HD (Stock ROM [Android 2.3.3], TM 2.1.2)
Apple iPad2 (64GB, 3G, iOS 5.0.1, TM 2.1.2)

Post by MartinS » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:18 pm

jiveman wrote:Is it possible to remove all the other stuff that is displayed, like:- by year, by date, genre, personal rating, and just leave the ones we need?

All i need is By Folder

Thanks in advance
I managed it using this thread:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... xml#p30734

HTH

Martin

jima
AV Hardware:Twonky Manager, Naim Uniti

Post by jima » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:15 am

I attempted to follow the steps in that link however, when I restart the server I am not presented with any "initial steps".

Wires
AV Hardware:PS3

Post by Wires » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:12 am

jima wrote:I attempted to follow the steps in that link however, when I restart the server I am not presented with any "initial steps".
You're looking for "first steps" under the "basic setup". There you should see the name of the XML file you created, and be able to use that as the default. You can also go to the "media receivers" tab, and select a specific view for each receiver.

IE, for my Denon amp, it accepts streaming music, so I make a view that is just music for it.