PS3 MP4 Stutter

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Shockmaindave
AV Hardware:Windows Vista
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320
PS3 MP4 Stutter

Post by Shockmaindave » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:00 pm

I'm loving version 6. It's fast and stable.

Now at the risk of contradicting myself, I need help with a problem that has been going on for me since version 5.1.3 (the only version of 5.x that I used.) MP4 videos stutter when being streamed to the PS3.

I see on the forum that this was first discussed around January 2009 and a ticket was opened on it: MM-1718. I can't search the forum for that term, however. It only comes up in a search for 'MP4 stutter'.

I've found that the problem goes away with a restart of the server and that it appears to stutter again after TMS has run for about an hour. I know that's vague, and I promise that I'll start trying to document it more closely in the future. I'm glad that the server restarts so much more quickly under version 6.

Does anyone else seem to have the problem, a solution, or knowledge of what happened to MM-1718?
Thanks, everybody.
Dave

LtPidgeon
AV Hardware:QNAP TS 209 Pro II, Linn Majik DS, iPod Touch with Konductor, Sony PS3, XBox 360

Re: PS3 MP4 Stutter

Post by LtPidgeon » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:51 pm

This issue is more to do with a firmware update of the PS3 that broke the streaming ability of 1080 content. You will probably find that it will stream 720 stuff fine, but not 1080. I am using Twonky 4.4.17 on a QNAP TS209 Pro II NAS and it still stutters. My Xbox 360 streams 1080 .wmv files perfectly in the same network.

I have gone through a process of elimination with my set up, which includes a gigabit link from my NAS to my Linksys WRT610N gigabit router connected to Devolo AV200 homeplugs, then downstairs into a Netgear gigabit switch and from there into my PS3, XBox 360, and Linn Majik DS.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Not having any problems streaming of 1080p to PS3 here. My content is served up from my Sheevaplug and via 100Mbit LAN to the PS3 directly. I'm wondering if your problems are down to the the number of "hops", i.e. the plugs, the switch etc.

What speeds and what sort of consistency are you getting on the Homeplugs? The last time I tried some, it was WAY slower than 54G WLAN and fluctuated quite considerably.

What bitrate is the 1080p content? Obviously the higher the bitrate, the higher the average network speed needs to be.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Shockmaindave
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:48 am

Mark, LT, thanks for your input, but I'm not sure I agree. First, I'm not streaming 1080 video. These are for the most part DVD rips--call them 480p. They also have a bitrate of about 1200 on wired ethernet with no other traffic. While there are three hops (switch-router-switch) that setup has predated the problem, and there are many videos that work with no problem.

I may have found something relevant when I was looking into a separate problem with album art displaying. I looked at my database using the HTML browser. There I found that files that stuttered were in an address that began http://127.0.0.1:9000/disk/NON-DLNA/. Files that did not stutter were in http://127.0.0.1:9000/disk/DLNA-PNAVC_

Again, the strangest thing is that rebooting the server allows me to play the file for 30-45 minutes without any stuttering.

I'm going to mess around with Handbrake to see if there's something that I can do to convert files from one group to another. There does not seem to be a clear pattern as to why files would be assigned to either group.

It might really help to know how Twonky decides whether or not something is DLNA-compliant or not.

I appreciate your help, and if there is more that you need to know to pursue the lines of thought that you started here, please just let me know. Thanks.

Dave

Shockmaindave
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:21 pm

This problem has disappeared since I installed 6.0.1.

Thanks, Twonky.

Dave