Twonky 6.0 on DNS-323 - Windows 7 detection

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
iKeyXS
AV Hardware:D-Link DNS-323
Twonky 6.0 on DNS-323 - Windows 7 detection

Post by iKeyXS » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:17 pm

Hello,

I installed the new Twonky 6.0 on my DNS-323.
When I start Twonky it runs fine, but my Windows 7, hides the network entry "NAS" under Network in the Explorer and installs two Twonky Media Server drivers automatically.

Here is what I mean:
http://www.thisisliving.info/twonky/correct.jpg
Like this it looks without starting twonky on the NAS. And I should be like this when Twonky is started too, because I want to browse my NAS with the normal Explorer.

http://www.thisisliving.info/twonky/wrong.jpg
Like this it looks after starting Twonky at the moment.

Anyone knows what to do?

Thanks ;)
iKey

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: Twonky 6.0 on DNS-323 - Windows 7 detection

Post by PeeBee » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:38 pm

I have a Buffalo LS Pro with Twonky on it and I get both showing. My equivalent of your NAS entry is the NAS itself and shows all of the network shares set up on the LS Pro, and the other 2 are for the Media Server (Twonky) part of the NAS. I'm not sure why your NAS entry is disappearing, though. Have you got any network shares set up or just folders for Twonky to use?

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

iKeyXS

Post by iKeyXS » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:42 pm

No there are no other network shares set up.
But I discovered another funny behaviour of Windows... Now sometimes the NAS appears as Network Device, but when I open it and try to access the Volume_1 folder (HDD folder), Windows says the specified network name is not avaiable any more.
You can see the the message in the two other screenshots.
http://www.thisisliving.info/twonky/twonky3.jpg
http://www.thisisliving.info/twonky/twonky4.jpg

Have you installed any other Twonky Software like TwonkyManager on your PC? Because I haven't.

iKeyXS

Post by iKeyXS » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:23 pm

Ok I found a solution.

Obviously Twonky shuts down the smb service on startup...
The solution is to start twonky with an extra user with no permission to stop samba service.
I put this in my Twonky startup script:

adduser -D -h /mnt/HD_a2/twonky/ twonky
chown -R /mnt/HD_a2/twonky/ twonky
su -c /mnt/HD_a2/twonky/twonkymedia twonky

And it works fine. You have to set for all files in the twonky folder the user twonky, because otherwise twonky can't write to the medialibrary.

Maybe this helps someone else too ;)

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:36 pm

iKeyXS wrote:Ok I found a solution.

Obviously Twonky shuts down the smb service on startup...
Well it shouldn't be shutting down SMB as that would be turning your NAS into just a media server.

Is there something in your Twonky startup script that actively does this or is it just a side effect of a conflict?

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

iKeyXS

Post by iKeyXS » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:12 pm

I think it's just a conflict. I've installed twonky manually (not the NASSetup.exe), so there's no automatic startup script installed. The only start command I created can you see in the post above.
Twonky even shuts down samba if I start it manually (with root user) with ./twonkymedia from the twonky folder.

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:34 pm

Reading through the installation files for the DNS323 which would be run as root gives this:

A file called /mnt/HD_a2/starttwonky.sh should be created that has the following entries:

Code: Select all

cd /mnt/HD_a2/twonky
/mnt/HD_a2/twonky/twonkymedia
The files twonkymedia, twonkymediaserver, and the folders plugins/* and cgi-bin/* need to be made executable for root (chmod +x).

A new entry is appended to a new line at the end of the /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug file:

Code: Select all

/mnt/HD_a2/starttwonky.sh
and fun_plug is also made executable for root.

PB