TwonkyServer for WHS - Status Update

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.
TwonkyServer for WHS - Status Update

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:05 pm

The have been a lot of misinformation posted online about the problems with high CPU utilization on HP MediaSmart servers, so we thought it might be a good time for a status update on this topic.

There are several different causes of high CPU usage on MediaSmart Servers.

Cause 1: The process of scanning an entire disk for media files, extracting all of the metadata, creating a media database and creating the full navigation tree is a CPU intensive process.

Status: Although we are continually optimizing the scanning process, this is not a bug -- it is expected behavior and CPU usage drops back to normal after the scanning process is complete.

Cause 2: Problems with high CPU usage that doesn’t drop back to normal after file scanning used to occur when one or more problem video files caused the file scanner to go into infinite loops.

Status: Problem fixed. Numerous improvements have been made to the file scanner in TwonkyServer 5.1 and 6.0 that greatly improve this situation. When running TwonkyServer 6.x corrupt media files are now blacklisted and removed from the navigation tree so they no longer cause high CPU usage or other problems. Users running older versions of TwonkyMedia server 5.x add-in will have to remove these files manually (http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/03 ... 0-patch-2/) or upgrade to the newest version of TwonkyServer, they will find this problem goes away. In case you’re wondering, the newest version of the TwonkyServer Add-on is 5.1.6. This version is being made available to HP this week. The newest version of the non add-on version of TwonkyServer is 6.0.1 – with 6.0.2 only weeks away.

Cause 3: Some users who have completely removed the TwonkyMedia server add-in are still reporting problems with high CPU usage. Some of these users have traced this problem to the HP Video Convertor app.

Status: Problem not related to TwonkyServer. Since we did not create the "HP Video Convertor" app, it is impossible for us to fix this problem. Although the error message says "RPC server is not available." RPC stands for Remote Procedure Call and the RPC server is part of the operating system, and not related in any way to TwonkyServer.

Of course there are other apps that consume high amounts of CPU as well (anti-virus software).

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

MarcBate
AV Hardware:HP MediaSmart Server EX485 and EX495

Re: TwonkyServer for WHS - Status Update

Post by MarcBate » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:09 am

I narrowed the high CPU usage on my HP MediaSmart EX495's twonkymediaserver.exe to when it comes across MPEG-1 files when it is scanning. I had to do a painful trial and error to start the service, use process explorer to find the file it was hung up on, then move the file elsewhere to convert them all to MP4. This version that came installed is 5.1.1. I tried installing 5.1.6, which fixed that bug, but Twonky was then unlicensed. I was able to rollback to a licensed 5.1.1 with some windows installer modifications of the HP installs. I don't want to pay any money for what should be a bug fix patch. If you gave HP MediaSmart owners free updates, then Twonky would remain on our radars, relevant even. But now I leave Twonky in my distant memory after feeling a bit screwed and left out to dry by both you and HP. :x

phibertron
AV Hardware:Hardware
========
WHS - HP Ex495
PS3
XBOX 360
iTouch - Gen 2 and Gen 3
PSP - 3000

Encoders
========
Handbrake
x264
ffmpeg
mencoder

Tagging
======
mp3tag

Post by phibertron » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:55 am

MarcBate wrote: I don't want to pay any money for what should be a bug fix patch.
Being an owner myself of the HP Mediasmart Server,
I too think that HP should have released additional patches/upgrades to resolve
the known issues with Twonky software that they prodived as part of the HP purchase
which is really where the problem starts and ends in more ways than one
in that they are no longer selling the product, and are now only liable
for the time left on one's warrenty period from date of purchase

Twonky as a business is in a tough spot,
they were paid by HP to deliver a product to HP
not to us as the customers of an HP product

The part that is odd is that supposedly, the newer version was delivered to HP
TMM_Product_Manager wrote: In case you’re wondering, the newest version of the TwonkyServer Add-on is 5.1.6.
This version is being made available to HP this week.
If this is indeed the case
Why did HP not make this available to its customers?
I can't answer that, I only guess it never made it past the dev team
with the killing of the MSS around the same timeframe
MarcBate wrote: But now I leave Twonky in my distant memory after feeling a bit screwed and left out to dry by both you and HP
I dont think that Twonky is to blame here, but I dont agree with there position on this either
From a business standpoint, they probably think they sell more software this way
But what I think they fail to realize is how compounded the problem really is

1. The existing version hp offers of 5.1.1 is broken
2. The HP users have no choice but to purchase a license to fix it
3. Anything greater than 5.1.6 breaks the HP Media Streamer Web App
4. If they chose to purchase they are yet again stuck at 5.1.6 feature level, no 6.x etc.

They have a ZERO upgrade path

So what is Twonky gaining by not just offering the patch to the HP MSS community?
They don't have to support you, as if they do this, they are now the liable ones.
Which I get, but...

From a business point of view, they just killed a huge part of potential profits
As we all know that people are going to hold on to WHS version 1 like gold
or they will eventually go with WHS 2011 version 2, and if and when they do
There will be no built in twonky services, that they loved so much from version 1
do you really think that they are going be thinking twonky?

The other oems out there that include twonky are in the same boat
But the difference is they are still selling there products
The owners of those products are at the mercy of the vendor, not twonky
to get updates to the included twonky software
I wish there was a better model, but its one the industry has been doing for a while now
this is really nothing new

Now if you read any of my posts, I am not anti-twonky
I actually love a lot about the product and company
Do I agree with all of it, hell no!

Will anything change, who knows man...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10627
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9353
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9408
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9416
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9424
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9364
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9497

MarcBate

Post by MarcBate » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:10 am

Twonky should offer an unsupported upgrade for those licensed 5.1.1 users to version 5.1.6.

phibertron
AV Hardware:Hardware
========
WHS - HP Ex495
PS3
XBOX 360
iTouch - Gen 2 and Gen 3
PSP - 3000

Encoders
========
Handbrake
x264
ffmpeg
mencoder

Tagging
======
mp3tag

Post by phibertron » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Ahh but there is the problem you see
You said "licensed 5.1.1 users"
The version included with 5.1.1 is not licensed in a typical way
just like it is not with any of the other oem versions they supply to the other oem's

the only thing different at the moment about the hp whs server scenario
that is different, is that hp no longer sells the product

Im an not trying to debunk them from doing this, i would love for them to do this
But the problem of just doing that is not as easy as it seems

If they did this, they would in some ways overide the working relationship with vendors
as then everyone here would say, hey twonky I have a nas with twonky on it
and the vendor isnt fast enough for me with updates,
so give me the newer one, because my vendor doesnt have that version
and if they did give this option to the users,
then the vendors would not support it

round and round she goes, there is no easy answer
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10627
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9353
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9408
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9416
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9424
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9364
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9497

MarcBate

Post by MarcBate » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 pm

TMM_Product_Manager,
I don't see any reply or compose PM for me to respond to your message, but that would work just fine for me. I have been using the http://hpstorage:9000 maintenance page from within a remote desktop session for this troubleshooting, and would not miss the add-in. Thanks.

MarcBate

Post by MarcBate » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:59 am

TMM_Product_Manager,

I still don't seem to be able to reply to your PM, so I'll have to post here. Please send the information your offered, as I'm interested and don't really use the WHS add-in anymore. :)

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Marc send me an e-mail at tmm-beta@pv.com and let me know exactly what you would like. I'll see if I can help.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/