Webstreaming - MKV transcoding problem

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
PnoT
AV Hardware:PS3
Webstreaming - MKV transcoding problem

Post by PnoT » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:50 pm

I've configured my server to access it from the web and am able to stream most of the content on my home server. The problem I'm having is trying to stream .mkv files and using ffmpeg to convert them on the fly.

If you look around the net you can find a few examples of users enabling the streaming by creating a file in cgi-bin\ called ffmpeg.mkv-mpeg.desc and having the contents of the file contain:

exec: ffmpeg -threads 2 -i $infile -vcodec mpeg2video -sameq -acodec copy -f vob -copyts -y $outfile
# capabilities
from=video/x-matroska
to=video/mpeg
asynchronous
priority=idle

This hasn't worked for me because when i click on an mkv file it only allows me to open it and upon opening it just saves the video and doesn't play it on the fly. I do not have background transcoding enabled because I don't want my entire collection to be transcoded just the stuff that needs to be streamed on demand.

Am i missing a step here?

1BigGuy
AV Hardware:Windows Home Server PP3

Re: Webstreaming - MKV transcoding problem

Post by 1BigGuy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:03 pm

I have the same problem. I upgraded from Twonky Server 5 to 6. That did not help. Did you ever get MKV files solved?

I noticed your script uses "asynchronous" rather than "synchronous". I don't know if that matters.