Photo slideshows (and dates)

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Brucebrad
AV Hardware:MyBookWorld with TMS 5.1.4-1
Panasonic Viera v20 TV
Photo slideshows (and dates)

Post by Brucebrad » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:07 am

I have Twonky Media Server running on a MyBookWorld (v 5.1.4-1). How do I create slideshows that can be used by Twonky? Any way of creating these from Adobe Photoshop Elements Albums?

Also, what 'date' does Twonky use in the 'by date' display option? Any way of getting this to use the 'date taken' field?

Brucebrad
Panasonic Viera v20 TV

Re: Photo slideshows (and dates)

Post by Brucebrad » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:38 pm

I emailed support. For future reference, here is the summary
1) Twonky does not have a feature for presenting slideshows. These must be defined at the media player end.
2) 'Date taken' _is_ the date field used to sort photos
So, 2) is good, 1) is a disapointment.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:47 pm

TwonkyServer does support photo and video slideshows. I think these can only be created with TwonkyManager and possibly Windows Media Player.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Brucebrad
Panasonic Viera v20 TV

Post by Brucebrad » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:57 am

More information please Rick. File format etc?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:04 pm

TwonkyServer can handle photos or video playlists when they are added to a Windows playlist file (.wpl). If you don't have TwonkyManager, these can be created using Windows Media Player or by editing an already created playlist file.

Here's a sample playlist for photos that “Fig” from the -TVersity forum put together:

<?wpl version="1.0"?>
<smil>
<head>
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Windows Media Player -- 10.0.0.3646"/>
<title>Photo List2</title>
</head>
<body>
<seq>
<media src="M:\Photos\My Pictures\Adobe\Digital Camera Photos\2004-11-27-2043-55\IMGP1681.JPG"/>
</seq>
</body>
</smil>

He claims that you can add as many files as you like to the list as long as you make sure any relative paths are updated to full paths.

HudsonKane from the same forum says you can add all your photos to Microsoft MovieMaker and create a movie slideshow as well.

I have not had time to test either of these yet. Please let us know if they work for you.

- Rick

Brucebrad
Panasonic Viera v20 TV

Post by Brucebrad » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:57 pm

I was looking for a file that I could put on my media server, which I would then select on my media player (in my case a Panasonic TV) in order to play the slideshow. Will the file format you've provided work in this way- or does it require Windows Media Player to play it as well as to create it?

Georg
AV Hardware:Server: Linkstation Pro (production) with Twonky 6.0.1 +
Linkstation Pro (developer) with Twonky 6.0.23
Clients:
Kathrein UFS 822 (pvr sat receiver, upnp-client?)
Philips TV PFL9604
WD TV Live
Roku Linkstation
Philips WLAN photo frame

Post by Georg » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:46 pm

As often there is a good and a bad news to that. The good news is that tms handles wpl playlists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Me ... r_Playlist
gives a short description, especially the second link there pointing at Microsofts description gives you all details you need.
The bad news is that such a playlist will show up within Music/playlists. Even if it only contains photos it will not show up in Photos/slideshows as one might expect. :roll: Similar is true for videos. Now it depends on your media player if it accepts/plays photos in the music tree.

As a user this behavior is quite unexpected though I can understand that it might be difficult for TMS to make the decision where a playlist should be placed.

Cheers,
Georg

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:19 pm

I was looking for a file that I could put on my media server, which I would then select on my media player (in my case a Panasonic TV) in order to play the slideshow. Will the file format you've provided work in this way- or does it require Windows Media Player to play it as well as to create it?
WMP is not required to play these files. You should be able to select them with your TV or other networked media player.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:22 pm

As often there is a good and a bad news to that. The good news is that tms handles wpl playlists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Me ... r_Playlist
gives a short description, especially the second link there pointing at Microsofts description gives you all details you need.
The bad news is that such a playlist will show up within Music/playlists. Even if it only contains photos it will not show up in Photos/slideshows as one might expect. Similar is true for videos. Now it depends on your media player if it accepts/plays photos in the music tree.

As a user this behavior is quite unexpected though I can understand that it might be difficult for TMS to make the decision where a playlist should be placed.
Have you tried dragging your photo playlists into the same path that you're using for shared photos? If you do, I don't see why it would appear along with music playlists. If you think this feature is broken, send me an e-mail here: tmm-beta@pv.com. If you do, I'll create a bug report for this. Thanks.

Keep in mind that it's very likely that not all networked media players/TVs will support photo and video playlists. There's probably not much we can do, if the device either filters the 'Playlists' part of our navigation tree or simply doesn't support this feature.

- Rick

Georg
Clients:
Philips TV PFL9604
WD TV Live
Roku Linkstation
Philips WLAN photo frame

Post by Georg » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:40 pm

I've got my music in ..../music and the photos in .../photos. The wpl-playlist is located in the latter tree, pointing on two test images in the same folder. During browsing the playlist shows up (only) in music/playlists for the flash- , the html-browser and on a WD TV Live.
So if you expect this playlist to show up amongst photos/slideshows, this feature is broken and an email is under way.

Cheers,
Georg

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:09 am

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue. I've created a support ticket for this issue which will be assigned to an engineer to review. To check the status of this issue in a few weeks, feel free to send me an e-mail and asking me the status on MM-4118. That will make it easy for me to look up this issue.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:51 pm

We have been able to easily reproduce this issue with your playlist. An engineer will look into fixing this.

- Rick

Georg
Clients:
Philips TV PFL9604
WD TV Live
Roku Linkstation
Philips WLAN photo frame

Post by Georg » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:51 am

In the other thread about "How to create your own Internet radio station list" http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8554 you gave a nice example for a music playlist.
TMM_Product_Manager wrote:<?wpl version="1.0"?>
<smil>
<head>
<meta name="Type" content="M"/>
<title>some shoutcast channels</title>
</head>
The meta tag "Type" jumped at me and I tried my playlist with

Code: Select all

<meta name="Type" content="P"/>

... and voila we are where we want to be! The playlist has become a slideshow.
I wonder what happens if I use "V". ;)
Cheers,
Georg