Problem Transcoding Flac to Wav

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
duke.g
AV Hardware:Twonky Server 8.3 with working transcoding!! for
Roku Soundbridge M1001
Pinnacle Showcenter 250HD
Samsung TV
Sony Bravia TV
Onkyo TX-NR414
Problem Transcoding Flac to Wav

Post by duke.g » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi all,
I have a problem transcoding flac to wav on the fly on my Win7 Ultimate 32bit with TwonkyServer 6.01.
If I use ffmpeg for transcoding flac to mp3 everything is fine and working. I see the MP3 beeing created in the Cache directory of TwonkyMedia.
If I try to transcode to wav, I see the directory with the long name (numbers and letters) being created but there is no subdiretory named wav, like it is with mp3. The Soundbridge M1001 then says that the format is not supported. As I said before, all is fine if I transcode to MP3 on the fly.
Here is the content of the flac-wav.desc-File I use:
from=audio/x-flac
to=audio/x-wav
asynchronous
priority=normal

I also tried using audio/wav as mimetype with no success. I think, the main Problem is that the transcoded file is not created, or the subdirectory Wav is not created.

For reference here is the flac-mp3.desc that is working (perhaps, someone wants to use it):
# capabilities
from=audio/x-flac
to=audio/mpeg
asynchronous
priority=idle

Of course I also have the according ffmpeg.location and the flac.location in cgi-bin pointing to the correct directories of the ffmpeg and the flac transcoders!

If I try the flac conversion in a DOS-Box, everything is working fine. So I do not understand, what is going wrong. Can please someone put me in the right direction.
Many thanks in advance.

Duke.g

murrayfleming

Re: Problem Transcoding Flac to Wav

Post by murrayfleming » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Just a suggestion, and I haven't had time to test this, but since ffmpeg is working for flac to mp3, why don't you try using ffmpeg.exe instead of flac.exe for the flac to wav conversions?

The exec line in the flac-wav.desc would probably be:
exec: ffmpeg -i $infile $outfile

I've used ffmpeg to transcode flac to wav previously with TwonkyVision version 4. I found that ffmpeg was quicker than the flac executable.

duke.g
Roku Soundbridge M1001
Samsung TV
Sony Bravia TV
Onkyo TX-NR414

Post by duke.g » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:45 am

Thank you very much for your suggestion.
But I tried this already, with the same result. Although transcoding with ffmpeg from flac to mp3 is working, transcoding from flac to wav does not. That's what I do not understand, perhaps it is an error in the 6.01 Version of Twonky-Server and in 6.0 too, by the way.

Kind regards
duke.g

murrayfleming

Post by murrayfleming » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Sorry that didn't work. I'm interested in this problem as I'm actually having exactly the same issue on Linux with version 6.0. I can see the directories being created in the cache, but no wav files. I have found a workaround though. TwonkyMedia on Linux is normally run "daemonized" by passing it a "-d" command line parameter. This is basically the same as running it as a Windows Service. I have found that if I don't use the "-d" parameter, then flac to wav transcoding does work.

So it might be worth stopping your TwonkyMedia service, and just running the TwonkyMediaServer executable manually by double clicking it in Windows Explorer.

duke.g
Roku Soundbridge M1001
Samsung TV
Sony Bravia TV
Onkyo TX-NR414

Post by duke.g » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:35 am

Thank you again for your reply.

I will give your suggestion a try later this day when I'm at home. If that works, it has perhaps something to do with permissions. Did you ever tried to use different user accounts?

Kind regards
Duke.g

duke.g
Roku Soundbridge M1001
Samsung TV
Sony Bravia TV
Onkyo TX-NR414

Post by duke.g » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:11 pm

I've tried the Mediaserver when started from the commandline but it makes no difference. Like before the MP3-files are created the wav-files are not :(
But it was worth trying it.

Thank you

Duke.G