No access to mediafiles on Sambashare

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
andrbhgd
AV Hardware:Twonkymediaserver running on a Dual Core Ubuntu Linux 10.1 Server
No access to mediafiles on Sambashare

Post by andrbhgd » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:48 pm

A Sambashare and Twonkyserver are running on the same server. However mediafiles on the sambashare cannot be accessed from Twonky. I only get access to files saved in the home directory. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: No access to mediafiles on Sambashare

Post by PeeBee » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Your root directory for Twonky will be set to your home folder so that Twonky will only see fies and folders below home. You need to edit your INI file to change the top level folder to something above both home and the samba shares. The parameter is called contentbase.

Or use an rpc call from your browser to check the setting:

http://<<your-server-ip>>:port/rpc/get_option?contentbase

and then

http://<<your-server-ip>>:port/rpc/set_option?contentbase=xxxxx

to set a new value.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

andrbhgd

Post by andrbhgd » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:00 am

Thanks for the feedback. Contenbase parameter has been set to the root directroy already and I can browse to the folder /var/sambashare but subdirectories are not accessible and hence I assume twonky cannot access these folders even with admin account login set up in the wtonkyserver. Any idea what the cause of the problem could be?

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:12 pm

What NAS are you using?

Are your shared folders actually under /var/sambashare? Could it just be that there are links in that folder to where your shares actaully are?

On my LS Pro all of my samba shares are in /mnt/disk1 and they can all be accessed by Twonky.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

andrbhgd

Post by andrbhgd » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:09 am

I am not using a NAS, I have Supermicro P4 server with Ubuntu Linux Server 10.1 running and the sambashare data are saved locally in the /var/sambashare directory. The /mnt/ folder is empty.

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:34 pm

Can you post the ls -al listing for the /var/sambashare folder?

Online I found that the following are used as the folder structure for Ubuntu:

/bin – binary applications (most of your executable files)
/boot – files required to boot (such as the kernel, etc)
/dev – your devices (everything from drives to displays)
/etc – just about every configuration file for your system
/home – locally stored user files and folders
/lib – system libraries (similar to Program Files)
/lost+found – lost and found for lost files
/media – mounted (or loaded) devices such as cdroms, digital cameras, etc.
/mnt – mounted file systems
/opt – location for “optionally” installed programs
/proc – dynamic directory including information about and listing of processes
/root – “home” folder for the root user
/sbin – system-only binaries (see /bin)
/sys – contains information about the system
/tmp – temporary files
/usr – applications mainly for regular users
/var – mainly logs, databases, etc.

so I would expect your devices/drives to be under /dev and your mounted filesystems to be under /mnt.

Have you tried opening up access to the folders under /var/sambashare using chmod? Just give every user full access to see if that is the problem. How do you configure samba - do you have an smb.conf folder (in /etc somewhere)? Can the access be set up in the config file?

The way it works on my NAS is that I set up shares using the web interface which then modifies the smb.conf file and sets up the shares with the correct permissions. Twonky was installed as the root user so can access all shares regardless of the access permissions set up in smb.conf.

PB