Reduced Photo Resolution using Twonky Server 5.1

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
JoeSammamish
AV Hardware:Western Digital My Book World Edition II (WDH2NC20000N) NAS
Twonky Media server (version 5.1?) came pre-installed on the WD NAS
Denon AVR-3310CI receiver
Windows 7 laptop
Reduced Photo Resolution using Twonky Server 5.1

Post by JoeSammamish » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:23 pm

I am using a Western Digital My Book World Edition II (WDH2NC20000N) along with a Denon AVR-3310CI receiver. Twonky Media server (version 5.1?) came pre-installed.

Everything works great for audio. For photos, I have no problem acessing photos stored on the MyBook NAS, however, Twonky Media server reduces the resolution of the photos when displaying them through my receiver.

The original photo has a resolution of 2048 x 1536. Twonky Media server shows the photos at 800x600 resolution through the web browser on my PC.

The resolution appears even lower when viewed on my TV via the Denon receiver.

This is not a limitation of the Denon receiver, as it will properly display the same photos at full resolution from my Win7 laptop using Roxio media server on my laptop. Also, I have seen complaints of Twonky downresolution on some user forums.

Can anyone tell me how to tweak the Twonky settings on the WD NAS drive to fix this?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Reduced Photo Resolution using Twonky Server 5.1

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi Joe,

I think you may be able to fix this by either selecting a different client profile, or by modifying the client.db file. I've asked our engineers to make a suggestion, and will post their response here as soon as I receive it.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:14 am

Joe,

Could you send me a sample photo for testing? I know this seems like we shouldn't need this, but some camera embed thumbnails in the image file and that can make a difference. Send the file to me at tmm-beta@pv.com

- Rick

JoeSammamish
Windows 7 laptop

Post by JoeSammamish » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:08 am

Rick:

I just emailed you a photo. I appreciate your efforts and I sure hope you can help sort this out!

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:37 pm

I received your photo. Thanks. I'm told if a fix is possible it might require firmware upgrade on your NAS.

I've created a support ticket so an engineer can look into this. If you want to check on the status of this issue in a few weeks. Send mail to tmm-beta@pv.com and ask about DLNA-2553. Thanks.

- Rick

JoeSammamish
Windows 7 laptop

Post by JoeSammamish » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:55 pm

... and the good news is that a firmware upgrade is pretty easy for me to install on the NAS. And the bad news is that it will probably be a couple of months before Western Digital's QA department is prepared to release any firmware upgrade that you come up with.

JoeSammamish
Windows 7 laptop

Post by JoeSammamish » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:54 pm

I've got the problem fixed for my Denon. On another forum, I found a post that said that editing Twonky's "clients.db" file and inserting the line "XM:NOTRPICS" in the part of "clients.db" devoted to your device might work.

In the header area of the clients.db file, it explains that the "XM:NOTRPICS" instruction means to “give only original pictures, no transcoded pictures”.

I added that line to the end of the "Denon" section of the file and all is well.