Files with Creation date before 1970

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
pvohra
AV Hardware:Dlink DSM520, Thecus NAS, eGreat NMT, Xstreamer
Files with Creation date before 1970

Post by pvohra » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:10 pm

I have a number of video files of movies released in the 1940s to 1960s. I have changed the modify & creation dates of these files to the date the original movies were released. This would, I thought, help create the navigation tree by year, correctly. I am running Twonkyserver 6 on a Windows Home Server. However, I find that Twonkymedia Server (and Manager) does not recognize any files with a creation date earlier than 1st January 1970. (These files do not show up in the folder, year, album listing etc). Is this a bug I need to live with or can somebody suggest a work around? Thank you very much

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: Files with Creation date before 1970

Post by PeeBee » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:50 am

They must be using Unix time - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

edrikk

Post by edrikk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:13 am

What format are the videos?

I would recommend converting them to a format that supports tagging.... For example, convert them to MP4, and use mp3tag to set the date as you see fit...

I know that works (as I have example cases).

pvohra

Post by pvohra » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:41 pm

PeeBee...
The OS is Windows Home Server... I have not been able to find any documentation tata WHS runs on Unix time. Is there any way to change to UTC?

edrikk...
My videos are mostly Xvid encoded and in AVI format. It would be very time consuming to convert my entire library to MP4. However, would appreciate your advice on whether this would degrade quality in any way and what would be the best tool to use to convert. Thanks

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:07 pm

pvohra wrote:PeeBee...
The OS is Windows Home Server... I have not been able to find any documentation tata WHS runs on Unix time. Is there any way to change to UTC?
Nothing to do with WHS. Twonky's database implementation must store dates in Unix time format so can't go earlier than 1/1/1970.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

edrikk

Post by edrikk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:51 pm

edrikk...
My videos are mostly Xvid encoded and in AVI format. It would be very time consuming to convert my entire library to MP4. However, would appreciate your advice on whether this would degrade quality in any way and what would be the best tool to use to convert. Thanks

I personally use Xvid4PSP, as it gives me enough advanced features, but simplifies most items... I'm converting to the "Sony PS3 Profile", but then manually editing settings to increase quality (which also does increase encoding time, but that's a one time "spend")

edrikk

Post by edrikk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:54 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Nothing to do with WHS. Twonky's database implementation must store dates in Unix time format so can't go earlier than 1/1/1970.

PB

Nope... Twonky's database stores dates properly. I have MP4 files which have the dates tagged in standard UTC format of yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ssZ and it is displayed perfectly well for all dates earliest date being in the '40s.

For non-MP4 files, twonky takes the date from the file timestamp, so THAT may be an issue...

pvohra

Post by pvohra » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:00 am

Thanks folks for your inputs. The only solution I see therefore is to convert the files to MP4... while the 'spend' would indeed be worthwhile, I am just left wondering whether the solution is not bigger than the problem!