The Final Release of TwonkyServer 6.0.28 is Now Available!

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.
The Final Release of TwonkyServer 6.0.28 is Now Available!

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:43 am

The Final Release of TwonkyServer 6.0.28 is Now Available. Download it here:
http://www.twonky.com/support/downloads.aspx

As always, release notes can be found in the install folder.

Release notes
-----------------------------
-fixed: TMS-Rescan set to specific number of minutes is not working properly
-fixed: Add custom DLNA profile for MKV to improve interop with certain clients
-fixed: CDS contains duplicate resource entries with same resolution in one item
-fixed: Clear logs options does not produce desired results
-fixed: BMP and GIF files are not getting displayed on PS3(Unsupported data error is coming)
-fixed: Some Configuration Page Options Not Translated for Nederlands Language
-fixed: Error messages when viewing large JPG files on a Sony PS3
-fixed: Username and the selected checkbox is not saved for PhotoBucket
-fixed: Media feeds are not visible on MAC.
-fixed: Duplicates listed in HTML Media Browser
-fixed: sleep mode not working on DNS-323 for 6.0
-fixed: Aggregation/Mirroring issues with TwonkyServer 6.0 on Linux
-fixed: 64 bit server issues
-fixed: strange behaviour in FLASH GUI when showing photos
-fixed: Language resource file not read on big endian devices
-fixed: XBOX only list first 329 songs while more than that are shared on TMS
-fixed: Auto-rescan does not work properly
-fixed: proxy resolves YouTube URL up to 15 times when streaming one video
-fixed: TMS fails to launch when its executed from directory path containing Japanese or other unicode strings
-fixed: DSM 323: Twonky gets killed right after start
-fixed: Javascript error in html template
-fixed: FLAC Transcoding on Linux in 6.0/6.0.1
-fixed: Server enters sleep mode when scanning for more than 15 minutes

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

ThyMaster

Re: The Final Release of TwonkyServer 6.0.28 is Now Available!

Post by ThyMaster » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks for the update.

But is it just me, but FLAC-to-WAV conversion still doesn't work.
I tried it on PS3 and RokuSB - no avail.... :(

But at least it creates the desired WAV file.
Any hint how we can change the clients.db to make the devices play the converted WAV file?

- ThyMaster

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback. I've forwarded your comments to our developers in Germany.

- Rick

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Fine for PC users but where are the NAS builds?

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Also looking for the NAS builds. The FLAC2WAV transcoding issue was fixed in 6.0.23 for me (Kirkwood Linux server streaming to PS3), so it looks like the changelog above is a cumulative changelog of 6.0.23 and 6.0.28
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:08 am

Just to follow up the FLAC2WAV thing.

I believe there are 2 bugs. I NEVER managed to get it working in any 6.x Linux build until 6.0.23 (the release notes hint at a fix that went into this release). in 6.0.23 I managed to get it working by removing the -D from the startup script, it seems it does not transcode when Twonky is running as a background daemon.

I did contact Reinhard about this, and they were looking into it.

EDIT: Confirmed they can reproduce the problem. " Started demonized, no cgi-bin program could be launched successfully anymore.". If you are having problems transcoding on Linux, then make sure you aren't using -D
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi

Well done PV/Twonky engineers; this looks to be a really excellent build!

Well I installed the x86 Linux glibc version of 6.0.28 onto a Qnap TS-659 (Intel Atom based NAS) and first impressions are that it is totally excellent! 6.0.23 was a lot faster at rebuilding the database than 5.1.x was, but 6.0.28 is even faster still. With my complex (albumartists) music tree, the TS-659 took about 14.5 minutes to scan 30,000 FLAC files, but 6.0.28 took only 10 minutes. In addition, the average CPU usage seems to have been lowered and it doesn't spike as it did with 6.0.23 when in general use (maybe that better behaviour also contributes to the speed increase when performing database rebuilds; that's just a wild guess though). I've also checked that the wee bug has been fixed and yes, it has; the recently added now works and restricts the list to 500 (as it should). I haven't played 500 tracks and thus cannot test last played and most played, but given that it was related to the same bug, it would seem logical to assume these are fixed to.

As far as I am concerned (and bear in mind that I only use Twonky for music, so I cannot test video formats, and also that I don't use transcoding) this version is the best yet; and by no small margin! Also bear in mind that I've only been running it for a short time, so this is hardly a comprehensive test, but as I say, it looks to be excellent.

I see that there isn't a page of NAS releases yet, so that means there's no Kirkwood version to test on the Maevell Qnap (nor is there a sparc version to test on the ReadyNAS Duo platform), but as far as the Intel Linux version and FLAC files; it's a very big thumbs up from me!

Again, a big thank you to Twonky for releasing previous builds in the unsupported NAS formats; that is very, very much appreciated. Please also release these versions of this one as that would enable Super-Poussin to build a sparc add-on for the ReadyNAS Duo and NV+. If it speeds up database build on the sparc platform too, that would really be a massive boost for the slower ReadyNAS Duo (and other slower NAS type devices too). To illustrate what I mean, using 5.1.x the ReadyNAS Duo the database rebuild took over 110 minutes, but with 6.0.23 it took only 55 minutes (and menu navigation was also slicker); any improvement in speed would thus be very welcome on that sort of platform. I'd suspect the lack of CPU spiking in 6.0.28 could make menu navigation even slicker on the Duo and NV+

Briain

1BigGuy
AV Hardware:Windows Home Server PP3

Post by 1BigGuy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:07 pm

I installed it BUT could not find any help with MKV transcoding to work on a Windows Home Server successfully?

1BigGuy

TwonkyServer 6.0.28 installed on WHS

Post by 1BigGuy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:26 am

FYI, Version 6 does not properly integrate into WHS.
It points at media files on C rather than the d:\shares folders.
I made several changes to the ini file pointing the program at D rather than C in an attempt fix the cache overfilling the c: drive.
cachedir=D:\shares\TwonkyMedia\db\cache
dbdir=d:\shares\TwonkyMedia\db
servermanagedmusicdir=d:\shares\Music\TwonkyMedia
servermanagedpicturedir=d:\shares\photos\TwonkyMedia
servermanagedvideodir=d:\shares\Videos\TwonkyMedia
onlinedir=d:\shares\TwonkyMedia\twonkymedia-server-online-data
mediastatisticsdir=d:\shares\TwonkyMedia\media-statistics\
rmhomedrive=d:\shares\TwonkyMedia\db

I am yet to get it all figured out.

Any suggestions?

1BigGuy

TwonkyServer 6.0.28 on a WHS

Post by 1BigGuy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:13 am

I copies the db folder's cache folder to its new location and listed in the INI file changes I posted here. I deleted the existing cache folder in All Users on C: When I rebult the database, it did not recreate it on C. C: now has plenty of space and I am getting no errors. I believe this fixed the cache filling the C: drive on a WHS.
Any other suggests to improve the server install on a WHS?

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:40 am

Any news on NAS builds? I would like to update my Sheevaplug to 6.0.28

Thanks.

ThyMaster

Post by ThyMaster » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:10 pm

and here's the log file excerpt when failing to convert FLAC to WAV:

Code: Select all

14:53:53:495  [Info] - LOG_HTTP: HTTP_accept_Impl : entering receive module
14:53:53:496  [Info] - LOG_HTTP: HTTP_send_receive : header = GET /disk/NON-DLNA/O0$1$8I1546.flac HTTP/1.0
Host: 192.168.1.11
User-Agent: CORE/6.506.4.1 OpenCORE/2.02 (Linux;Android 2.1-update1)
Connection: Close

14:53:53:496  [Info] - LOG_HTTP: HTTP_send_header : sending HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: audio/x-flac
Content-Length: 122303706
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 13:53:53 GMT
Pragma: no-cache
Cache-control: no-cache
Last-Modified: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 09:06:40 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Connection: close
EXT:
Server: Linux/2.x.x, UPnP/1.0, pvConnect UPnP SDK/1.0, TwonkyMedia UPnP SDK/1.1
I don't know if it helps but TMS 6.0.28 on Linux for sure does not convert FLAC to WAV.

I tried also not to rundaemonized, but still no avail.

Pls help!

- ThyMaster

grzywacz

Post by grzywacz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:09 am

YouTube username still an issue :(

Brian
AV Hardware:Moxi, Win7 PC

Post by Brian » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi Rick,

From your release notes...
> -fixed: Add custom DLNA profile for MKV to improve interop with certain clients

I confirmed that my MKV files now include a DLNA profile name with a value of MKV.

I suspect that adding a "custom DLNA profile" may cause problems for certified DLNA DMPs. In the conformance test 7.3.26.2, if a DLNA profile is present, devices are required to use the profile and ignore the other parts of protocol info. Specifically, in the test, mime is changed to a bogus value but the content should still play.

Thanks,

Brian

1BigGuy

Post by 1BigGuy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:52 pm

I found a useful forum topic on the Panasonic TX-P42G15 and TMM with info on the implementation of MKV.
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... %A6#p31425
I texperimented with his ideas and found what worked with my Sony. I now have MKV streaming just fine.

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:51 pm

ThyMaster wrote:and here's the log file excerpt when failing to convert FLAC to WAV:

Code: Select all

14:53:53:495  [Info] - LOG_HTTP: HTTP_accept_Impl : entering receive module
...- ThyMaster[/quote]

Here are some suggestions that might help when transcoding from FLAC to WAV using the PS3:

First of all you need the flac.exe command line program to convert to wav.
I went to http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html to download this exe file.
BUT the file that is availiable as: flac-1.2.1b.exe is an Installer!
So you have to install the package and then copy the flac.exe from the Program Files folder to the "Twonky transcoding folder" at \Program Files\TwonkyMedia\cgi-bin

Now you need to edit the clients.db file from \Program Files\TwonkyMedia\resources and change the PS3 entry from:

>>
NA:PS3
HH:PLAYSTATION
DB:FIX
XM:DLNA10
XM:DATETIME
XM:NOEMBEDDEDALBUMART
XM:NOBYTES_IN_TIMESEEK_RESPONSE
DL:MP4DLNA
HP:chunked
HP:1.0PROXYRESPONSE
TR:MPEG,JPEGORG,MP4
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts,mpg,mpg-tts video/mpeg
MT:m4a audio/mp4
MT:avi,divx video/avi
TP:MP4,-suppress_amr -add_isom -update_stss
MT:3gp not-supported

to:

>>
NA:PS3
HH:PLAYSTATION
DB:FIX
XM:DLNA10
XM:DATETIME
XM:NOEMBEDDEDALBUMART
XM:NOBYTES_IN_TIMESEEK_RESPONSE
DL:MP4DLNA
HP:chunked
HP:1.0PROXYRESPONSE
TR:MPEG,JPEGORG,MP4,WAV
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts,mpg,mpg-tts video/mpeg
MT:m4a audio/mp4
MT:avi,divx video/avi
TP:MP4,-suppress_amr -add_isom -update_stss
MT:3gp not-supported

Please do this while the server is not running or restart it after editing this file!
Then flac files can be transcoded to wav and are offered as such to the PS3 which can then playback these files.

Thanks to Florian for providing this info!

- Rick

Seadawn
AV Hardware:QNAP TS219P
PS3
Phillips Streamium NP2900
Revo Ikon
iPad and iPod Touch (1st Gen) - both via ML Player Lite and Plug Player

Post by Seadawn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:48 pm

[quote="Briain"]Hi

[b]Well done PV/Twonky engineers; this looks to be a really excellent build![/b]

Well I installed the x86 Linux glibc version of 6.0.28 onto a Qnap TS-659 (Intel Atom based NAS) and first impressions are that it is totally excellent! 6.0.23 was a lot faster at rebuilding the database than 5.1.x was, but 6.0.28 is even faster still. With my complex (albumartists) music tree, the TS-659 took about 14.5 minutes to scan 30,000 FLAC files, but 6.0.28 took only 10 minutes. In addition, the average CPU usage seems to have been lowered and it doesn't spike as it did with 6.0.23 when in general use (maybe that better behaviour also contributes to the speed increase when performing database rebuilds; that's just a wild guess though). I've also checked that the wee bug has been fixed and yes, it has; the recently added now works and restricts the list to 500 (as it should). I haven't played 500 tracks and thus cannot test last played and most played, but given that it was related to the same bug, it would seem logical to assume these are fixed to.

As far as I am concerned (and bear in mind that I only use Twonky for music, so I cannot test video formats, and also that I don't use transcoding) this version is the best yet; and by no small margin! Also bear in mind that I've only been running it for a short time, so this is hardly a comprehensive test, but as I say, it looks to be excellent.

I see that there isn't a page of NAS releases yet, so that means there's no Kirkwood version to test on the Maevell Qnap (nor is there a sparc version to test on the ReadyNAS Duo platform), but as far as the Intel Linux version and FLAC files; it's a very big thumbs up from me!

Again, a big thank you to Twonky for releasing previous builds in the unsupported NAS formats; [u]that is very, very much appreciated[/u]. Please also release these versions of this one as that would enable Super-Poussin to build a sparc add-on for the ReadyNAS Duo and NV+. If it speeds up database build on the sparc platform too, that would really be a massive boost for the slower ReadyNAS Duo (and other slower NAS type devices too). To illustrate what I mean, using 5.1.x the ReadyNAS Duo the database rebuild took over 110 minutes, but with 6.0.23 it took only 55 minutes (and menu navigation was also slicker); any improvement in speed would thus be very welcome on that sort of platform. I'd suspect the lack of CPU spiking in 6.0.28 could make menu navigation even slicker on the Duo and NV+

Briain[/quote]

Hi Briain,

You mention above that you are using your own menus in version 6, are these the same as you created for version 5.1 posted on the link below ? I found these very useful, especially Album Artist, and would like to get the same structure back in place but I just wanted to be sure that they worked with version 6 before installing them. Version 6 is working well for me, my only issue is the Artist view doesn't work for me given the amount of songs now 'featuring' other artists.

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... nus#p27929

Thanks,

Seadawn

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi Seadawn

I now have trees which are suitable for both Twonky 5.1 and Twonky 6.0. These can be downloaded from the below link (there are two packs; one for album artist users like ourselves, and another for those that don't). The trees were actually adapted specifically for Twonky 6, but they also happen work very well in Twonky 5.1.x

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 8&start=15

NB Ignore the transcoding file that's also at that link; that's only for Twonky 5.1 users as the art can be sent at full resolution in Twonky 6 by simply selecting the appropriate device type in the Media Receivers section (AssetControl is one of the examples that will send full resolution art).

Bri

Seadawn
AV Hardware:QNAP TS219P
PS3
Phillips Streamium NP2900
Revo Ikon
iPad and iPod Touch (1st Gen) - both via ML Player Lite and Plug Player

Post by Seadawn » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi Briain,

Thanks for these, they're exactly what I need but I do have a compatibility issue with my Revo Ikon though, as soon as that gets used the containers (Album, Album Artist, etc.) replicate in the menu structures and this then cascades to other devices like my Philips Streamium, the only way to correct this is to re-start the server each time which is a pity as I really want the Album Artist menus. I guess I'm stuck until Twonky gives us a proper Album Artist view or we get Custom Menus back.

Thanks,

Seadawn

Wires
AV Hardware:PS3

Post by Wires » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:08 am

I'm still getting the cache size growing in 6.0.28. It's not as bad/frequent as 6.0.23 but it still happens.

FYI, on WS2008 x64, I need to install without a serial number, reboot, and then put in the number, or Twonky won't start after a reboot.

markmcd
AV Hardware:Server: Twonky Media Server 5.1
Clients: Roku Soundbridge, foobar2000 (w/ upnp component), WMP 12

Post by markmcd » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:40 pm

Finally got a chance to give 6.0.28 a spin and I'm happy to see some great progress, particularly on the Samsung support side of things. However, there are still some pretty blatant compatibility issues:

- MP4 videos are totally hit and miss on my Samsung BD-C5500 blu-ray player, some work, some don't: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... mp4#p32730
- mpeg2 videos don't support FF & RW on the same blu-ray player
- M4A (AAC) playback is still broken on the Roku Soundbrige: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8456