[REQUEST] 3 major things to make Twonky best of the best

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
tcviper
AV Hardware:PS3, XBOX360, HP Homeserver, Dell XPS730X, Bravia TV
[REQUEST] 3 major things to make Twonky best of the best

Post by tcviper » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:38 am

Hello Twonky team,

I hope that with this post you will finally (hopefully) reply and see if you can help us users out.

I have noticed 3 major things with Twonky server that would seriously need some attention.

1) Autotranscoding support for MKV x.264
A lot of people have Playstation 3 devices or Xboxes in their homes and if you use your own homeserver with harddrives in it for all the movies and music, a lot of people will probably also have MKV / .x264 files (bluray).
It would be handy if, just like other mediaservers, Twonky could auto transcode MKV's and other unsupported formats so you can directly play the files on your Bravia TV, PS3 or XBOX.

2) Allow to browse and play from ZIP/RAR files
Another nice feature would be the option to browse directly in a zip or rar file (on the device that connects to twonky) like the ps3, xbox or whatever, and would then allow us to play a .iso file for example without having to extract all zip/rar files.

3) Web support
In a previous version we could set an external IP so we can browse our libraries from another place aswell, now with Twonky 6, there is no way to be able to connect to the Twonky stuff from an external internet location (it simply thinks it should browse to a local 192.168.x.x IP). Can this please be fixed so we can finally also access our stuff from home again?

I am sure that if these things can get done, people even want to pay for it (at least I would).

Thank you and hope someone from the Twonky team will pick this up!

- Michiel

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: [REQUEST] 3 major things to make Twonky best of the best

Post by PeeBee » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:40 am

tcviper wrote:3) Web support
In a previous version we could set an external IP so we can browse our libraries from another place aswell, now with Twonky 6, there is no way to be able to connect to the Twonky stuff from an external internet location (it simply thinks it should browse to a local 192.168.x.x IP). Can this please be fixed so we can finally also access our stuff from home again?
There is a new feature requests thread that you could have added these to.

The functionality in your point 3 will be available again in TMS 6.1. There is a link to Alpha versions of this in this thread.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)